Urgent - need 355 rear screen! | FerrariChat

Urgent - need 355 rear screen!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jjustin, Apr 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    Hi guys,

Does anyone have any idea where I can source a rear screen for a 1995 F355B?
    I had the windows tinted yesterday and the rear screen got cracked being put back in the car.

I imagine something like this is going to be bloody expensive and very hard to find in stock anywhere - does anyone have any ideas? There's a few of us making enquiries to try and find one ASAP.

Many thanks.

2. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    As the glass is flat (I think) perhaps the easiest and cheapest thing to do if the glass is still intact is to go to a glass supplier. If you're anywhere near Cambridge there is one on Cherry Hinton Road. These people (or similar) can cut a new window for you in either standard of laminated glass and even tint it. They will bevel the edge and toughen glass too. All of this can be done while you wait, taking no more than about 15 minutes.

PS you'll need the intact glass, or at least something, to use as a pattern

3. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Speak to Karl at Verdi's - he should be able to help.

4. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    The problem with a 355 rear screen is that it's a very strange shape and has many twists and turns in it, which is why I think it's going to be very hard and very expensive to replace!

5. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    I've been in touch with Manu at Scuderia Systems so he should be on the case and asking Karl about it as well.

I'm trying to find as many people/places as possible as I know this is going to be a nightmare to find a replacement for, and I don't think this is something that somebody is likely to have sitting in the back of their workshop!

On a brighter note, in my opinion the car looks great with the window tints, although the tinter said he'll never do a 355 again :)

6. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    If it's a flat piece of glass this is not a problem

7. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    On the 355 it's not only at an angle, but the sides curve right back on themselves to follow the roofline back to the engine cover. It's quite extreme.

I'll certainly keep the place on Cherry Hinton road in mind for other glass issues though. Thanks for the info :)

8. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Shouldn't this be a problem for the person doing the tinting, rather than you ?

As said above, it's NOT a flat piece of glass, it's a funky flat-U shape.. and won't be cheap.

9. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    I'm rather keen to get the car back on the road, which is why I'm trying to help with at least sourcing the glass.

10. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Ah, fair enough.

Sounds too obvious, but don't AutoGlass stock one ?

11. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    I didn't even think of AutoGlass.
    I just phoned them and their computers were down, but they're going to call me back and let me know if they can get one and how much it'll be.

Thanks for the idea!

12. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    If you're trying Autoglass you could also try the RAC, thery even advertise glass replacement on TV now.

13. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    'tis a bit of a long shot but you could try Pilkington Automotive - Isle of Sheppey - tel: 01795 596114 or 663311.
    They used to do "one offs" but my above info is probably six or seven years old.
    good luck.
    d

14. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    My replacement cost £1200 at Maranello sales last year

Probably not what you wanted to hear

15. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Who makes the original one? Contact them direct?

How about a breakers yard? never know your luck. Try http://www.douglasvalley.co.uk

Give this lot a call too
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/

I think robinh is saying that it is the glass profile, as opposed to the shape of the window that matters; if my understanding is correct, the glass surface is flat and therefore the guys he mentions could make you one.

Good luck...

Robert.

16. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    I've tried Douglas Valley & Eurospares with no luck.
    Autoglass can't get hold of one either and the guy said he also contacted the people who supply Ferrari and they don't have one available either.

:(

17. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Would a 348 piece work?

18. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I know it's really, really sad, but what about the guys who market the replicas.....can't be far off, can it ?.......may suffice temporarily
    d

19. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    As I suggested, try ringing the people in Cambridge and outlining your problem they may have a solution. The web site is

http://www.goglass.co.uk/

I have always found them very helpful, certainly their counter service. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

20. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    The 348 windscreen is the same as 355, but be careful as the early 348 screens did not have an aerial fitted.

The cost of a 355 screen is £808, the 348 without aerial is £588 both plus the fitting kit £437 plus fitting and vat - we have stock of both options

MW

21. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    Thanks chaps. It looks like we're all sorted now!
    The window tint guy has been able to source a new one (think he said from Maranello's) at a cost of £1200 and he's going to drive down and pick it up himself in the morning.

Apparently the parts guy said that it's quite a common problem and they've been known to crack just going over a bump sometimes, and he spoke of a perspex/lexan one that can be used instead at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks everyone for chipping in with the ideas!

22. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Justin,
    is this covered by insurance?

23. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    The window tinting firm is covered but they decided it would be better to pay for it off their own back rather than loading their premium with a claim.

I've got 9 years no claims which is one of the reasons I can afford to drive a Ferrari, so it's not something I want to claim for through mine ;)

It cracked with almost no pressure and we're all a bit confused how it happened as it came out so easily. It cracked just as the first part of the seal was being pulled over the lip on it's way back in.

I've offered to share the cost as I was there when it happened and it was just 'one of those things' and I cant really blame anyone. If it was being manhandled without care or if I wasnt there at the time, I would make sure that they paid for it, but it was all being very gently done and I can't really point my finger and say it's anyones fault.

We now just need to find a window fitter that will give a written guarantee that they'll provide a genuine replacement part if they break it when putting the new one in.

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    That's very generous of you, good luck with the guarantee ! :)

25. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    Yeah, that's what everyone's saying at the moment - can't afford £1200 a pop if they keep breaking every time somebody tries to fit one!