Fuel Pump Rebuild or Replacement options for 308 and 512BB | FerrariChat

Fuel Pump Rebuild or Replacement options for 308 and 512BB

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by samsaprunoff, Jul 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good evening Everyone,

I was curious as to what others are doing in regards to dealing with cranky electric fuel pump(s) on their 308s or BBs (they use the same fuel pumps, but the BB uses two of them)? I ask, because the original pumps are NLA and have been superceded to what looks like an aftermarket pump. Ferrari's part number of this new pump is 100245 (110 GBP) and some investigation reveals this to be a Facet 476087 ($80 USD) fuel pump (I am 99% sure). The Facet pump is similar to the original, but is different with regards to the inlet and outlet port positions (not really a big deal). Is it possible to rebuild the original pumps and if so, where does one obtain a rebuild kit. I am only considering the rebuild, as I would like to maintain the use of the original components if possible.

What have others done? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Sam

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I am following Mike Pierce (Pierce Manifolds) and Mike Kuhn's (Norwood's) recommendation and am switching to a quieter rotary Pierburg from the Gold Facett Bendix-style interruptor pump. I know these are used on high hp Weber engines in Porsches.
    Another popular recommendation is the Carter pump, but I also found it quite loud in my application.

3. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    I replaced the pump on my boxer 8 years ago with a carter not sure if it was the 4311 works great even if the car has not started for 6-7 months fires just right up and you cant even here it.

4. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    ops I ment hear it.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Carter is the best replacement. Quiet and does not need pressure regulator. Almost exact fit.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I put a Bosh in my 80 308 last summer. Off hand I can't recall the part # but it's a direct fit to OEM.

Would like to know more about the carter pumps though.

7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Carter is good for the carb cars. I don't know of the replacement for a FI car. For the carter go to JEGs or Summit and look it up.

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Russ,

Thanks for the info! It is interesting that both of the Mike's recommendation is for Pierburg pump...Fastradio (another BB owner) also likes the Pierburg pumps as well!

Cheers,

Sam

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #9 samsaprunoff, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Randy and Steve,

Thanks for the info on this!

Randy, I took a look at the available Carter pumps, but sadly there does not seem to be a model 4311 anymore. There is one (or two) Carter's that will work with the difference being the inlet/outlet orientations (and sizes) as compared to the OEMs. Are your Carter pumps look like the following, or are they different altogether?

Steve, is this the style/model of Carter pump you were referring to?

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Scott,

Is your car fuel injected? I am assuming so given the year. If this is the case, then the fuel pump you have is quite different than on the carb models (carb fuel pumps have much less pressure requirements). Sadly, the only Bosch fuel pumps I could find were only for fuel injected cars.

Cheers,

Sam

11. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    Sam my bad its actually 4070 w/4psi no regulator needed very similar to the picture above I dont know know why 3311 pop up in my mind.

Randy

12. marankie

marankie Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Agoura Hills, Calif
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I bolted in a Facet in my carbureted '75 308 GT4. Low cost and bolts right in and hooks up quite easily. Works fine. Dissappointed with the amount of noise (about the same as the original pump) when you turn on the ignition (pump) before firing up the engine, but after the engine is running, you cannot hear it over the regular engine noise, even at idle. But the rotary Bosche pumps on my Porsche are much quieter.

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Randy,

Thanks for the correction! Did you use one or two of these pumps? Also, how do you find the noise from them (same as OEM, louder, or quieter)?

Cheers,

Sam

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Martin,

Thanks for the feedback on the Facet pumps and their noise level!

Cheers,

Sam

15. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    Sam one is all you need it operates much quieter than the facet in my opinion.

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Randy,

Thanks again for the info and the feedback!

Cheers,

Sam

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

This is just a follow up to let everyone know what I decided to do... After reviewing various fuel pump alternatives, I decided to go with dual Pierburg pumps. Although there were many options that would have worked (Facet, Carter, Holley, etc) I decided on the dual Pierburg's for several reasons:

1. Low Pressure Pierburg pumps are/were used a lot with Weber carbs and so they have a history of working properly with them. Webers are very sensitive to float levels and so knowing that these pumps have worked very well with Webers is a good thing

2. As stated by snj5 (Russ) and fastradio (David), there are several noted Ferrari heavyweights that recommend the Pierburg pumps.

3. Pierburg is an OEM manufacturer for Bosch, which in itself speaks to their quality

4. Minor (I hope) mounting changes are needed with these pumps. Although I will know this for sure when I actually install them

5. I wanted to have a dual pump setup to allow for redundancy in case one should ever fail (limp home mode as it were). However, the failure rate of a pump is pretty small and so this point is minor.

As for cost, the Pierburgs are not that much different in price. In the US they can be found for about $80US:

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/Pierburg_Low_Pressure_Fuel_Pump.html

and in Canada I found them online for $100 CAN:

http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/quote.jsp?year=1969&product=E3000-63097&application=000343210&part=Fuel%20Pump&category=E

In my case I found them locally for $119CAN and went this route, as I could get them immediately.

Thanks to all for the postings, feedback, and insight!

If I get a chance, I will post pics of my completed installation.

Cheers,

Sam