Ferrari shifting | FerrariChat

Ferrari shifting

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 348SStb, Apr 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

My brother likes my 348 coupe, but he says he wouln't want one for himself because the shifting is too much of a pain in the a-s-s.

We all know that the older Ferraris take a little bit of effort and precision to shift. Is there anything that could be done to make the shifting easier--like 355/360 ease? Or even Porsche-like ease? I don't have any experience with fiddling with gearboxes.

I want to put him in an older Ferrari!

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Learn the double jointed proper shifting technique! Up, over, up; down over down.

Don't try to rush it or it will take longer.

3. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    My 308 shifts as nice as my Miata. It is not as quick, but it certainly isn't hard. Take your time and be deliberate.

Regards,
    JPL

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

5. Red348

Red348 Guest

Strange as this might sound, I find that once the car is warmed up it actually shift better when being driven hard (above 5000 revs) than when just pottering around town.

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    the shifting shoudn't vary much, all the gated f-cars are similar.

You may need to use some lube on the gate, when that is dry you have metal-metal friction.

I recomend something like TW-25B teflon spray or white lithium grease.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You're absolutely right. All the controls in a Ferrari work more fluidly when the car is driven agressively. The shifts get easier the faster you go. Hell-and-toe downshifting becomes a lot easier (and a lot more necessary) when you approach a slower corner at a high rate of speed. And the very best part of a Ferrari is that it encourages you to go faster by becoming more user-friendly the faster you go.

--Matt

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Matt,

Perfectly said.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Such a perfect description I could not help but laugh!