Disable passenger airbag on a 550? | FerrariChat

Disable passenger airbag on a 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by msgsobe, Jun 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    My son is yearning for a ride in the 550. he's 3 (see my avatar) how can I disable the passenger airbag so I can put him in a carseat?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Is he still in a 5 point harness car seat? I wanted to do the same for my nephew, he's nearly 2 but my 348 doesn't have the rear anchor point for the car seat, does your 550 have one? or is son just using a child booster seat? I would imagine the easiest way to disable the air bag would be to pull the fuse but I would imagine you would get a fault light for your troubles and more than likely need a Ferrari Dealer to clear that code also ;)

IMO it sounds like alot of drama and I know should the unfortuante happen I would want the airbags working :)

3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    www.airbagonoff.com

I just had them install their switch in my 575. Cost me $500 (installed). Worth every penny. Please do not compromise your child's safety, get a proper shutoff switch.

Their are other company's that do this. Basically, you apply to the NTSA for dispensation (they will approve for any 2-seater) and then you contact an authorized airbag tech (the ntsa site lists them for all states).

Best,
    dsd

4. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    dsd, thanks for the link, just what i was looking for. Pap, i would never compromise my sons safety. you dont want an airbag going off on a 3 year old, it'll hurt him. just belts. going to put his car seat (simpson, by the way), using the 3 point seat belt.

5. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    #5 dsd, Jun 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    perfect, just what I'm looking for. mark

7. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    I just did this as well..It works great, no error msg. Very nice set up from these guys and easy to install.