Mondial adjustable Koni coil overs | FerrariChat

Mondial adjustable Koni coil overs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Apr 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    For Mondial owners contemplating suspension upgrades:

The widely available 308 coil overs will not fit on the Mondial because the top mount is totally different; the Mondial's top mount is better designed to isolate road roughness. This requires the top mount to be modified in addition to a sized lower bushing. Here is a set of Konis done at Carobu (www.carobu.com) Engineering with adjustable height, rebound and compression for a Mondial. Will be lowering and setting up the springing to less understeer, more rapid response. Also, the new spring/shock weighs less than the stock. Went with Eibach springs, and other brand shocks can used but stayed with OEM Koni. As an aside, will be adding s/s brake lines and have already installed a set of drilled Brembo calipers.
    hth
    russ

2. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Great pictures! Please post some of the car once it is lowered. I think that a lowered Mondial would be a totally different car visually and performance wise. Look forward to it.
    David

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    My Mondial t Cab is currently in maintenance and I asked the workshop to increase the ground clearance again. Otherwise some multi-story car parks are virtually inaccessable.

It´s practicability vs. performance again. But then, Mondials aren´t supposed to be high performers ... :)

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Photo of a lowered Mondial in Japan. Not sure I will bring it down that far or not, at least in the front.

6. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Which Koni shocks are you using?

7. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Russ, Did you get the exhaust tips yet? I was wondering how they sound and if it accomplished what you thought they would. I like the way your car is evolving; but pretty soon it won't be a mondial anymore. Maybe a "Turndial"? :)

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Through some miracle I spoke to Dan at Stebro who says the tips will be here Thursday.

Turndial* - you're killin' me. It's all OEM stuff (mostly - Webers, Koni, Brembo, Speedline, Tubi....), and I haven't taken off one thing that was made in Maranello - same chassis, same engine. Certainly no more modified than many early Ferraris. I'm kind of a Carlo Abarth wannabe... :)

bill308: These Konis are the aluminum bodied adjustable height, rebound and compression shocks Koni makes for racing applications. Don't have the # handy - got them from Carobu (Tate Casey) who is setting up my suspension to be less understeer and more eager to change direction (fun).

Will post some pics in a couple of weeks, dyno charts a couple of weeks later.

best to all
    rt

*For those keeping track:
    Engine:
    Weber (reliable) 40 DCNFs with 36mm chokes, hotter intake cams, single (reliable) distributor adjustable ignition, Tubi/Stebro exhaust; expect 300+ hp
    Suspension:
    Euro option Speedline 17" wheels, 7.5 and 8.5 with 225/245 Michelin Pilots, drilled Brembo rotors, s/s brake lines, Koni aluminum adjustable ride height racing shocks
    Interior:
    Momo Cavallino vintage Dino steering wheel, Chrome shift knob (good for 35 hp)

What fun.

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I caught part of "Scent of a Woman" on TV last night. The Mondial would have brought a grin to your face Russ.
    Philip

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Hoo-aah

11. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Russ,
    I thought those shock assemblies looked familiar. I have the steel versions (they had to weld on an upper eye to hold the bushing) on my GTS. I really like them. External and independant bounce and rebound adjustable. Very nice.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    David - thanks!
    Have a UPS tracking # for Friday delivery - pics soon.
    best
    rt

OBTW
    Give my love to your Abarths (Carlo is a hero of mine: big cams, big valves, big carbs, big exhausts, big etc...)

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Looks great Russ! What spring rates did you chose? Also am i correct in assuming from the pics that us Mondial owners might have more choices in shocks since i dont see that "perch" that 308 owners have to deal with?

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
  15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Howdy!
    The springs are Eibach 118517: 1400/250/0225
    I am still learning about these shocks, as the instructions say there are over 140 combinations of compression and rebound.
    Pictures soon.
    best
    rt

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The deal with the Mondial shocks is the top mount which requires a little fettling. Another amazing thing is how much lighter this assembly is than the stock.

17. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Russ. Thanks for the heads up. Might do the same.
    Dave

P.s This fettling i could figure out!?

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes.
    For machining details give call or drop Tate Casey an email at Carobu.
    best
    rt

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Mounted the adjustable Konis and s/s brake lines today. Overall lowered ride height 1" lower, with ground clearence reduced at rear jack point from 5.75 to 4.75 unladen and 4.5 laden (yes, that would be me). The new units are much lighter than the original shocks/springs (also shown). You can see in the photo the round adjusting knob at the base of the shock and s/s brake line (the other line is the ABS sensing line). The rotors are drilled Brembos to fit the stock caliper.
    Will install distributor tomorrow, hopefully.
    best
    rt

20. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Russ
    Looks bloody great!
    Philip

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Maybe I'm dumb but I only understand springs as in lbs/in. What rates did you use front and rear? I'll be curious to hear about how you like the set up. Also the perches as pictured are exactly like the 348 ones. I have an older 85 QV mondial which I need to work on some day. Good job RT.

22. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Part number reads: 14 inches free length, 2.5 inch inner diameter, 225 lb/in.

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    FBB
    Thanks! Rexrcr is of course correct on the spring specs. The plan for the front spring rate is 150 to 160 lbs./in (The stock rate is 125 lbs./in).
    Haven't driven it yet, as still putting on the single Mallory distributor and the 267@020 (stock 244@020) duration intake cams.
    What fun.
    best
    rt

24. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    "Turndial" ..... lol

25. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie