Looked at a 355 today | FerrariChat

Looked at a 355 today

Discussion in 'New England' started by Tom S, Apr 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    As a favor to the son-in-law of friend, I said I would post this. I looked at a 355 w/ Targa roof today at Patrick Motors in Auburn. The car is owned by the son of the president of the company. It's, supposedly a euro-spec car with about 16,500 Miles on it. They're asking $75K but are very negotiable. IMHO they need to be VERY negotiable.

How can people present a car for sale, in that price range, and not even clean it. The car was filthy. Paint was fair, Oxidation starting around the doorsills. I couldn't see or feel any bubbles in the paint, but frankly, I didn't really want to run my hand over the car. There's a tear in the vinyl on the roof, some leather problems on the interior, again, I don't know what the dirt was hiding.

I asked about maintenance and was told that he had the work done at his dealership by a qualified Saab mechanic. Now that filled me with confidence! Belts hadn't been done nor any of the 15K checks. I asked about the valve guides and he assured me his mechanic (see above) said they didn't need looking at. I asked about header cracks and was told that they were fine. A minute later he mentioned that there was a manifold leak, maybe a crack or a gasket, but that he had been told it didn't matter. So evidently the header is fine but the exhaust manifold leaks, I guess they are two diffrent things on a Saab.

I suppose that if you get it at the right price (no idea what that would be without a PPI) it would be okay. It made me look at my 328 parked next to it with reaffirmed love! I was so turned off I didn't even drive it. Looks like it had been thrashed anyway.

Alright, I've done my duty. I think they really want to sell the car, so maybe some one with time and money for repairs should go in and low-ball them. BTW, I guess it's going in the Globe next week.

Tom

2. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    When I was looking for my 355 I saw lot's of cars like the one you saw and I would run the numbers, and every time ,I came away with the same thought "evan with buying a car for short money and doing the work myslef you still have a car that was not cared for and was a ,sh,,t box ,,,,once a sh,,it box allways a sh,,it box,a better looking one but still one !!!!
    DAVID

3. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    Just was on Ebay and saw this car listed. It is described as in "show car" condition and states that all the service was done by FoNE and that all prescribed maintenance has been performed. Oh, Brother!

4. jmacphee

jmacphee Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joseph MacPhee
    This car has been in the Globe at declining prices for the last few months. I think it was in today's for under $70k. I called on it four times and never got a call back but ran a CarFax to see what came up. The car is a Eurospec and was imported in Feb 2001 and registered in Florida in Dec 2001 with 15,166 miles. It looks like it hasn't been used much in the past two years. Thanks for posting your comments, I had wondered what it looked like in person.

Joe