I am in Bologna now, can I see Imola course | FerrariChat

I am in Bologna now, can I see Imola course

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robertpel9, Apr 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Going to maranello for the day tomorrow but would like to go to Imola is I am going to be able to see the course. Does anyone know if it is acessable or worth driving to? Looks like only about 40 minutes from my hotel right now??

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I visited the track when I was there for the factory tour. I thought it was worth the drive. :)

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    40 minutes sounds about right.

The track is in the city's park, so I can't say whether it is closed or not (I would think it is open, but maybe only to walk, not to drive). I was only there during the race.

They are currently redoing the pits area, so expect some commotion.

Anyway, I would go there regardless: If nothing else you get to see the Ferrari memorial at the entrance and a bit further to the right (right of the entrance) the Ayrton Senna memorial near the place he crashed.

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'd try to figure out if anything is going on. Just to go see a track that's closed doesn't sound too thrilling. You might as well spend more time checking out Fiorano as for sure something will be going on there.

5. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes they have a nice plaque just outside the fence of that turn that had flowers on it when we were there.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Plus Ayrton's lifesize bronze.

7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We've been to the track in Imola several times even when there was no race. One day we watched Challenge Cars on the track. It's quite pretty and as Andreas said a walk thru the park takes you to the memorial. Going into the town center is also nice.

Carol

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fiorano, Maranello and Modena are of course loaded with Ferrari places and souvenir shops. But still I would never ignore a real race track, even if there is nothing going on:

If nothing else, going to a track really gives you a sense of perspective of what it is like. Things like elevation changes and scale just don't come really through when watching it on TV. Once you've been to a place, you have a connection and watching the race on TV will never be the same again.

Regarding Imola I was stunned to see how small the track is. It reminded me more of a gokart track than a F1 race. On the plus side I was also immediately smitten with the beautiful park it is in. The hills and trees are just gorgeous, what a heavenly place to hold a race.

PS: Thanks Carol for chiming in. What took you so long? :)

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

True. If your there and you've got time to kill you might as well.

10. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    where is the best place to not get robbed on buying things like shirts hats etc while i am here. I was just in the town square in Bologna and Ferrari Polo shirts were 75 euro thats a little ridiculous if you ask me

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Just go to some of the stores off the beaten path in Maranello. If you want to see expensive check out the Ferrari Store across from the factory. Nice stuff though.

12. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
    When you get to Maranello go to Hors-Ligne.
    This is gift shop is more resonable than the Ferrari Store.

13. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    what is the latest i could potentially go see the imola course? We are touring the Maserati, lamborghini, Ducati factories and going to the Ferrari museum which I imagine will take all day. Do you think it would be worth going there (Imola) at around 6pm

14. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    do yourself a favor and go to the pagani factory too.

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    If you have the time, walking a circuit is a wonderful way to get a permanent altered perspective of any race you see at the track in the future. Soak in the racing line and imagine how you would position the car into and out of every turn. It will make watching a race a completely new and far more involving experience. The averager F1 circuit is probably around 2.5 miles so it will take you around 50 minutes at strolling pace.

16. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #16 TheBigEasy, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I've been quite busy at work with basically only one more month of school and we've been doing quite a bit in preparation for the start of 07-08 in August. Getting new fencing installed for horses/cows - coming in at dark and not much time for computing! I think I've found my new toy . . a smaller version of the Bobcat the guys are using. (It's like riding around in a big game machine.)

Your comments about Imola make me want to get up and go right now. Our seats we get at Aqua Minerali (sp) provide that gorgeous view. Hope Bernie puts it back on the calendar for sure next year.

Carol

18. klfpaul

klfpaul Karting

Apr 7, 2003
    Murrieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Paul
    #18 klfpaul, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017