"byd:sign" Plasma/LCD,anybody hear of them | FerrariChat

"byd:sign" Plasma/LCD,anybody hear of them

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Dave328, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They just started selling in the US this Jan. I can get great prices on their Plasma's and LCD's, but I'm a little hesitant since they're relatively unknown. Anybody know anything about them? Their US base appears to be in Houston, but mfgr'd in China.

Dave
    BTW, the web site is www.bydsign.com

2. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Look interesting.

What kind of prices can you get?

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    the plasmas look pretty sleek. yeah, what kind of prices are you talking about for the 50" plasma?

4. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Would be very interested to know as well!

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    They do not include a built-in HDTV tuner. Otherwise, the quality and specs check out.

Prices seem quite good.

$ 4,769 for the 42" LCD
    $ 2,657 for the 29" LCD
    $ 1,350 for the 22" LCD

I didn't inquire about the plasma screens.

My feeling is they need to move a lot of units since they were counting on a deal to sell through Good Guys, and that has either fallen through or been put on hold while the CompUSA acquisition goes through.

3-day shipping on UPS pallet was under $200, and they agreed to throw in shipping if I ordered a 42" by end of day...see if you can talk them down to $3800--perhaps the price will come down that much for volume only. I am kinda curious to find what the "threshold of pain" would be, as cost on these must be around $2500 for them to be able to quote the prices above.

6. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nothing concrete yet. But it will be very near wholesale. I'm still feeling the whole thing out. I'm just not sure if it's worth the low prices if it they turn out to be like the Sampo/Gateway junk.;)

I'll keep y'all posted,
    Dave

7. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I still haven't gotten any new info on them yet. Has anybody else heard of them?

Dave

8. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    they may be renamed units from a major manufacturer. Some other co's do this (ie. gateway). If this is the case, find out who the manufacturer is and make sure they are quality units. I forgot who, but theres someone on here whos knowledgable about plasma TV's, and i think he may even sell them too.

9. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, this was my initial reaction as well. A little Googling shows that the innards are from Pixelworks™, who apparently make studio quality monitors for video/CGI production etc. While that is promising, I'm still hesitant, you know, the whole "if it's too good to be true..." thing. ;) I may just wind up dropping the dough and be the guinea pig on a smaller LCD to put in the master bathroom, since they are so new nobody knows about them yet.

Dave

10. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Pacific Northwest / Florida
    Full Name:
    Janet
    You might check Costco for a good price and great customer service. I got a 42" plasma and when the tuner seemed a bit finicky I was able to return it with NO PROBLEM and walk away with a new unit. They are always my first choice for electronics because of this return policy and the good prices. Also, you can pay with American Express and double the product warranty. Nice. :)

11. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just remember, you get what you pay for..

12. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That is exactly my concern. The research I've done says that the company wants to take a huge bite out of the heavily inflated LCD/Plasma market by charging approx 50% less markup than the other guys. If this is legitimate, and the quality is high and the markup is really as low as they say it is then it will be one helluva buy! Or it could just be a cheap piece of $#!t.

Dave

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Any updates?

--Dan

14. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    None yet. I'm trying to get the dist down here set up a demo so I can see one first hand. Unfortunately there is a LOT of phone tag involved through my contact and the dist. Bottom line, it could be the deal of the year, but if I can't lay my eyes on one in operation, then I'm not buying. I don't want to be the $3K test subject as I'm sure nobody else would either. I haven't made any inquiries in the last week, been too busy with my sisters wedding this sat, but I'll try today to get some action.

Dave