355 spider hood/roof question. | FerrariChat

355 spider hood/roof question.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chaa, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    My spiders roof sometimes sticks halfway up, then with a bang/click it unsticks,some times it refuses to go past half way, so i have to put it back down then up again, what causes this? After it has done one cycle it will happly go up and down, but the next day it sometimes does it again.Is there any thing i should be doing to maintain the mecanisum like oiling or gresse?Thanks.

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I have had similar problems with mine as well... I did put some silicon on the bending parts in the middle of the top and toward the rear - and it did help a little. I usually just give it a manual hand and it goes past the sticking point. Without question the 355 Spider has the worse Automatic Top - in the world... And I am just waiting for the motor to go out again (has happend a few times on mine - 17K miles - go figure... And I am making it a manual opening.

The seats on mine are no longer moving forward - which this was fixed 6 months ago...

Just a poorly engineer top.

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Yes the top is over engineered, too many electronics. Sof far I've been lucky with mine, but would prefer a manual operation.

I've spoken to a few people about this. Some say try a 348 unit, but I would prefer total manual.

It seems to me if you remove the hydralic lines and disconnect the drive unit you would be able to convert it. The ECU would always be fooled that the top is in the UP position.

Richard - If you do convert your top - please do a write up here with some pix. Also - If mine goes DOA I may do the same. The only reason I won't do it sooner is that I'm keeping it all stock up until next years Cavallino, which will be my final event for concours.

4. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    This is also a big problem on mine. Mine makes a loud whining noise upon retracting the hood sometimes.

aparently good things to get done if you can:
    bleed the hydraulic system,
    Check for obstructions (obvious) but if one of the struts break etc..

... still, another bloke at my mechanics has spent around 3K already trying to get his perfect, and it still sticks/is noisey/sometimes doesn't work. I reckon its best to leave it alone - if it fails - go manual!

Ade