Dear Mr.Clean, I hate you! | FerrariChat

Dear Mr.Clean, I hate you!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 96impalaSS, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 96impalaSS, Mar 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Decided to finnaly try out the Mr.Clean Autodry thing on our new car we just got, I figured if it will work on black it will work on anything. Oh how dissapointed I was. I ended up having to wax it to get rid of the water spots.It worked pretty well everywhere else it was just the hood though that had problems.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Oh man in that one picture I just noticed the vette's rotors are getting rusty. I havnt driven it in awhile, I just have Miai drive me around nowdays.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Was the engine cool when you applied this product?

If not, smack yourself in the forehead with a wet sponge.

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It was cool. Actually I just went back out there and looked at it some more and the trunk, and rear bumper is the same way.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Well lad, you just saved yourself the pain and humiliation of a forehead sponging.

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I suppose your correct. :D

7. Steve Darrah

Steve Darrah Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C. Darrah

8. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    your the first i have heard of with this problem, i was about to go buy it!

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Im the first I've known with this problem as well.
    It's not that bad though. I mean it gives me a excuse to wax and I love waxing cars.

10. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    I get spots as well, so I end up doing some drying with microfiber. Also, if it rains after it's been cleansed with the filtered setting, the windshield becomes a mess. Not sure if it's the water up where we live or what, but we get plenty of spots - washed and allowed to dry in the shade w/cool engine, etc. Even tried changing filters early, etc.

Still, it makes washing easier, so I'll continue to use it.

11. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I got spots on all my windows, but nowhere else on the car. Plus the soap sucks. From now on I am going to wash my car by hand and then rinse it with Mr. Clean.

12. Modena 360

Modena 360 Rookie

Feb 12, 2004
    Central Pa
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I purchased it last weekend and used it on my black car. It worked great I have zero complaints. I only had to touch up a couple of areas which i clearly missed with the final spray. Windows and mirrors were even spot free. I like the product and will continue to use it.
    I haven't tried it on my Ferrari yet.
    THanks,
    Tom

13. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I was looking at their website and they dont say how many "final rinses" you get before changing the filter.

The product was only $15, so if I get at least several washes out of a filter, I will be happy. I am just worried I will end up changing it every 2 washes or something.

Any comments? What do the directions say about frequency of changing filters?

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The filter it comes with is like 3 washes and the extra ones you buy are 10 washes .
    You also have to buy extra bottles of there special soap or it clogs it up they say. It's all cheap though so it's no big deal.

15. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This whole subject has been bothering me all day. I keep wondering if I did something wrong. Ive read through the manual like 3 times. The only possibility I can think of is I didnt spray the car with the Mr.Clean Autodry setting long enough. I'll just have to try it again tomorow, and if that dosnt work I'll just break it with a hammer and stick to my trusty Meguiars Wash soap, chamois, California Water Blade, and Meguiar's gold class liquid wax.

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Looks like the water didn't sheet off the hood. I go over my black 360 in autodry setting several times to make sure there's a complete sheet of water covering each panel. I do have to touch up in a few areas and wipe off water accumulated in the door jams and sills. Windows and mirrors should dry spotless.

Oh yeah, have you tried to park the car on a slight incline? Gravity will help the water sheet off the hood.

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Looking over your photos again. Did you rinse the soap off completely? I've never seen anything like your first picture.

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I made sure to rinse it off completely It was just a horrible case of dried up hard water on a black car.

19. Modena 360

Modena 360 Rookie

Feb 12, 2004
    Central Pa
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I also used a clean bucket odf water and kept my sponge well rinsed.The finnal rinse I held the unit about 6 " above car makeing sure the water was sheeting before moving on. I did 1 section at a time.
    TOm

20. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well it's filthy now anywas. Took it out to the country and by god I floored it and in no time it was at 120. Incredible car.

21. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have done my black BMW 3 times so far and have had flawless results every time. That sure looks like dried soap to me on the hood in the first few pics.

Dave

22. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I've used it twice on two different cars, one black and one gold. No problems at all. The black Infiniti looks great. I will dry the windows next time though. I'm pretty picky about my cars and like the product. Don't know what happened in your case. Sorry about your problems.

23. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Sheeez, not good. Black is a high maintenance color. Every scratch, every wrong move is enhanced by black. There are no shortcuts for black.

Dave, JSL; Were your cars previously waxed when you used the Mr. Clean product?

24. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I I don't use wax on the black car. I polish it about once a month to keep the micro swirls down. This product lessens the drying needed and thus the micro scratches. At least that is what I've experienced so far.

25. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I wouldn't use it. its not worth the short cut.