Peculiar coolant spot under my car | FerrariChat

Peculiar coolant spot under my car

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 78-308gt4, Sep 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I drove it hard last night, put it up, and this morning there was a wet spot underneath. I've had the occasional dribbling from the expansion tank but this new spot is on the opposite side of the vehicle. There was a spot under the expansion tank as well. Coolant level in the tank looked good. I didn't time to investigate under the car this AM as I needed to take my kids to school and get to work. The new spot appears inboard of and near the fuel filter/pump of my gt4. Are there hoses down there or am I looking at a leaking gasket?

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure how different the radiator/engine configuration is from the 308/328, but if it's similar you have two long hoses running fore and aft between the radiator and engine. I had a minor leak in a similar location two weeks ago and it was a loose hose clamp at the rear connection. I would lift the car at the rear right corner and have a look for moisture around those clamps.

Another other thing to check, because it's vulnerable to heat - at least the way it runs in the 328 - is the rubber hose running between the expansion tank to the engine. Although if that one goes you'd have more of a geyser than a drip...

Again, the 328 is probably different so I'd defer to any GT4 owners who post here.

3. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I hope you are right. I downloaded a gt4 shop manual here at work and found diagrams of the hoses/clamps you refer to. From where the spot is and the location of the hoses it could easily be one them.

I've been very lucky in that my gt4 has been quite reliable in the 16 months I've had it. Since I'm a relatively new owner, it bugs me to have something wrong with it and not know how serious the problem is. F-chat is as much a benefit to my mental health as it is to the condition of my car ;-)

4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    One thing to check off your list is the condition of the radiator cap. These cars are notorious for spitting out of the overflow and it usually is caused by and aged cap.

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Correct... Start with the cheap stuff first! A Stant cap (P/N 10229) is a direct replacement for the GT4's overflow tank. At $6 or whatever, it's almost silly NOT to replace it on principle!

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #6 Peter, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What could be the culprit here is the main supply hose for the heater system, as it exits the rear bank cylinder head, then goes over and in front of the driver's side gas tank, down the driver's side door sill and up into the front compartment (where the heater cores are). Your leak may be close to the cylinder head (based on your observed "pee" mark). This is a typical problem and is usually caused by old hose finally giving up the ghost...

It is a big job to replace (some people have done it without removing the gas tank, but it makes the job so much easier to do so), but is do-able by a DIY'er. Do not be tempted to splice in a section of new hose to repair the leak, as the remaining old hose in the inaccessible areas of the car will still be prone to failure. Replace the whole length. Replace the brake booster hose while there as it too will be old and prone to leak and/or collapse:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    so I've been playing the 308 overheat game since day one. One of the first things I did was replace the radiator cap. I stuck with a .9 bar because I'd rather have some dribble there than increase the risk of a blown hose elsewhere.

8. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    A lot of people splice-in a piece of heater hose instead of replacing the whole length. Hoses generally fail where they attach to the hot metal on the engine. You can reach-in and feel the heater hose from the top on a 328. If it is bulging, you can replace a foot or so and keep driving for another year. Barring trauma, heater hoses generally fail where they attach to the block.

Mark

9. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    ...I hope this isn't the problem... looks like a pain in the butt

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    before you freak out there is a metal pipe and hoses that go from the center of the engine down the drivers side to the pipe going from the front radiator, there are at least 2 hose clamps here that could be loose probably the one at the bottom near the fuel pump check that one and tighten it.

Rob