Ferrari 250 GT Nembo...? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GT Nembo...?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 134282, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Anyone have any information on this car...? Is it a one-off...? If not, how many were made...? If it IS a one-off, is it still around...? Who owns it...? If there was more than one made, how many are left and where are they now...?

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The 250 GT Nembos:

1623 GT: Coupe rebodied in 1964 and based on a 250 PF Coupe.

1777 GT: Spyder rebodied in 1965 based on a Series II 250 PF Cab.

3771 GT: Spyder rebodied in 1966 and based on a 250 SWB.

Also:

5805 GT: Spyder based on a 330 GT 2+2. (Long story. More info here.)

4773 GT: RHD Spyder rebodied in the UK (NOT BY NERI & BONACINI) and based on a 250 GTE.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #3 134282, Mar 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    Wayne, pretty cool, thanks for the information and the link; what was the point of taking a 250 PF or SWB and rebodying it...? Who's Neri that the name "Nembo" was born from his work...?

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Neri & Bonacini was another of the carrozzeria (coach builders) who designed and built bodies for Ferrari in the first couple decades. They were very low production shop and I don't know if they did ANY other Ferraris.

A non-complete list includes:

Vignale
    Scaglietti
    Touring
    Pinin Farina

5. joopjoldersma

joopjoldersma Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Joop Joldersma
    #5 joopjoldersma, Mar 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014

Does anybody have pictures of these cars?

Joop Joldersma

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU Rookie

Jan 30, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    John U

Log onto Symbolic Motorcars in La Jolla. click on restoration dept. Pix of Nembo Spyder sn 3771 GT that they restored.

I also believe 3771 was shown at the Cavallino Concours in 2002 or 2003.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Coutesy of some of our fellow F-chatters from previous threads (in order: 1777GT, 1623GT, 4773GT, 5805GT, 3771GT)...

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Very 275GTB looking. Were these designs created before the 275GTB?

Note: Look at that beautiful Alfa Romeo 8c2900 in the back ground ... ooooooh just stunning.

Pete

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    1623 GT was rebodied sometime in 1964. Around the same time, the 275 GTB was being developed and was introduced at the Paris Salon in October of that same year.

I think it's safe to assume that the 1964 GTO had some influence on both designs.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, absolutely ... gee I just saw a replica of a '64 GTO and missed that connection (shaking head :( ...).

Pete

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Wow, that Nembo spyder is beautiful!

I remember reading an article in Forza a while back about Ed Niles, and he was talking about owning one of those, and how difficult it was to sell. He said that when driving it, the windshield post was about two inches from your left eye.

He said that to sell it, he finally had to find someone who didn't care about what might happen to their left eye in an accident.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    "...and the car suffered from some of those niggling little problems that one-offs frequently fall victim to. Such things as a top that was ill fitting and hard to work, seats that weren't too comfortable, etc.

But the real killer (if I may be allowed to put it that way) was that the corner of the left side wind-wing frame was only 2 inches from the driver's left eyeball. It was almost impossible to drive the car without thinking of hitting a small bump and (as mother used to put it) putting out my eye. (I always used to wonder where it was that I was putting the eye.)

In fact, I'd had quite a bit of difficulty selling the car for that very reason. Any number of prospective purchasers responded to my ads, and upon seeing the car, said 'I'll take it, how much?' Then they would sit in the car and this look would come across their face. I could tell, after the first two or three lost sales, what was going through their minds.

Eventually, I found a buyer who didn't care about his left eye, and the bank, the buyer and I were all happy campers." --Ed Niles

13. joopjoldersma

joopjoldersma Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Joop Joldersma
    Thanks Wayno for the pictures and info. Great.

Joop

14. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Here's one for sale in Fermany awhile back. Don't know serial number- Wayne probably knows.

15. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    This was 1623GT at Auto Salon Singen

Ciao

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Up here in post #3, our friend NNO asks "Who's Neri that the name Nembo was born from his work?" To answer this question, the partners were Giorgio Neri and Luciano Bonacini.

To quote from R&T 11/66: "Nembo, a natural contraction of the two names, was chosen because it also called to mind (for Italians at least) Nembo Kid, Italy's comic strip counterpart of Superman. A combination of pop art and power image."

It is also mentioned that Neri and Bonacini build the chassis frames for production Lamborghinis bodied at Carrozzeria Touring (this would be the 350GT and 400GT, presumably).

17. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The pics are no longer up. Can anyone else post them?

These cars are gorgeous!

18. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    1777 sold recently for somewhere in the neighborhood of 800k US dollars. It is one of the most visually spectacular Ferraris. There is a Nembo Lambo coming up at auction which was also a one-off, based on a 400GT chassis, if memory serves, being offered in original condition- i think it was essentially a one owner car from Spain and probably needs to be fully restored.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    3771 was or is a local car. I have spent a good deal of time driving it and working on it. The corner of the windshield frame is very close to you and you never forget it while driving.

While I did not take measurements I was told the windshield is from a 250 LM and on casual observation it looks to be one of those. That explains it's position relative to the driver. It starts quite forward on the cowl and wraps around and leans back WWWAAAAYYYY back towards the driver.

As far as the donor car is concerned I was also told the SWB had been in an accident and as they had not yet achieved the stature or importance they have now it seemed to be the thing to do.

At my last encounter with the car the motor was, as far as camshafts and compression ratio, in a very mild state of tune but at some point in its history had been converted to 6 carbs with rather poor, replica GTO manifolds, and the improper carbs. A carb set up that the poor motor was in no position to support.

20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Great info Brian!

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Thanks.

The designer called me out of the blue a couple of months ago and so I was able to ask him directly about the windshield and the donor car.

22. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    3771 was built for Bill Dixon, then of Seattle, general contractor Tom Meade. Tom also designed 1777 for a client who wanted a "convertible GTO".

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

That's him. Still in So Cal somewhere.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    West LA area. See him occasionally, talk to him often.

25. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004