Nick's Shocks/Springs | FerrariChat

Nick's Shocks/Springs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by enjoythemusic, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yes, read through the archives. Just want to hear any NEW comments about sponsor Nick's shock/spring package. Spoke to him on the phone today and he seems like a really great guy! He also has the Energy bushings and i'll be needing those. Basically redoing the suspension in hopes of a firmer ride (by 25% or so) while also lowering the front 1.5" and rear by 1" (the front gets a bit light at speeds over, well... the type that loses one's license).

DO NOT want to go with a different perch for cheap lowering.

MANY thanks as ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I would like to hear input on this as well

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Steve
    I assume you've looked at the QV London springs. No affiliation etc but I did buy a set. Attractively priced too. Until you figure in the cost of an alignment when you've got them installed.
    Philip

4. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Philip,

Thanks for the note. Can you describe which springs you went with and what performance improvements there were? The car is getting new bushing all around and other tweaks. Since she will already be apart to some extent i felt it best to get new Koni shocks. Then i felt may as well lower/stiffen her so why not improve the suspension package? Then i felt while that is being done may as well get... And yes, i am insane ;) None of this really NEEDS to be done other than bushings, but in for a penny in for a ton (it is a Ferrari, and priced accordingly).

As there is 60 days of downtime, may as well make the best of it.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

5. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Hi Steve. Glad to hear the TLC on the car is continuing.
    My neighbor used to have a complete performance suspension setup for the QV. It included the energy suspension bushings. He never installed it. I've personally seen it and it looks nice. It is worthy of this car in my opinion. He HAD participated in a conversation with one of the other F-Chat members on selling it, so I'm not sure it's still available. If you'd like for me to give him a call for you on it, just drop me an e-mail. Nice to see your post.
    Jeff

6. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    BTW- I've alos spoken with Nick a few times. Ditto what you wrote.

7. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Steve--I'm sure you 've thought of this but be careful about how low you go with that nice Euro spoiler.

8. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Jeff and Doc,

Jeff, MANY thanks for the help and comments my friend. Yes she is really coming on strong. Since you are very familiar with the car... During the recent 60k we dumped all that emissions stuff that was by the coolant tank in the engine bay. Also did some other things and she was very good before, yet now she is REALLY hooked! If i go via Nick i'll do the whole deal through him (shocks/spring/bushings).

Doc, yes have considered the Euro spoiler and truly do appreciate your concern my friend. They are repairing/respraying that was well. Am debating adding a medium/hard plastic piece that would extend off of the bottom front lip a bit to take some of the possible rubbing away from what would be bare fiberglass. No speed bumps here and i KNOW the roads and what/where to avoid. The front is actually quite high now as you can see by the photo below. As it sits now, she is actually one of the HIGHEST 308's i have seen!

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Steven
    I use my car mostly on the track, and it is a "B" (where the spring rates, ARB sizes etc are different from an S - search the old archives for the details) so what works for me may not work for you. You'll also see, I've been trying to achieve a specific kind of balance and want to eliminate some body roll. With those caveats, here's what I have done.

First, like you I replaced all the a-arm bushings, shock bushings and steering rack bushings and outer tie rod ends. I also replaced the shocks with new Konis. Sounds like you've done something similar. From memory I set the Konis 1 1/2 turns on the adjuster.

At the same time I replaced the rear ARB with an adjustable with solid end links/rod ends. The stock (14mm) B rear bar on my 77 was measured at 74.1 in/lbs. My revised rear bar is rated at 138.8 and 182.4 in/lbs.

Bolted it all back together. Ran the rear bar on the softer setting. Had an alignment to stock specs. Played around a lot with tire pressures at the track (thanks Rob S.) eventually running 36F, 32R to try and take some of the understeer out of the chassis. Street tires. Balance was great (again, thanks Rob who came to Gingerman, test drove the car, provided advice etc). I ran it on the firmer rear bar setting on several occasions but it was a bit tail happy on faster transitions (I flat spotted 4 tires in a significant spin!). Upgraded to R compound tires.

All of this was last year.

This winter I talked to the guys at QV (Racing) in London. Cars they prepped have won the Maranello Challenge series 4X and also finished in the first two places at the Ferrari Classic Series in the UK (where their 308s raced against 328s, Daytona's and the like). As an aside, follow the link I've posted previously about this. Great reading. Even the commentator admitted that seeing the older cars duke it out was a lot more fun than the 360 C series due to the variety of cars (the Daytona's having the upper hand at some circuits, the 3x8s better in the twisties). QV London recommended a different chassis set up (camber/toe) for track use (see other posts on this -- I'll not go into the settings here as it is a separate topic/you have to modify the chassis forks and if you are not going to track the car, the information is a bit peripheral).

Anyway, I fitted a set of their "harder but not comp" spec springs. These are 25 - 33% stiffer than stock and about an inch shorter (when uncompressed). I also contacted the shop that fabricated my rear ARB and had them build me an adjustable front ARB.

The front 18mm OEM bar is rated 141.0 in/lbs. My adj 22 mm front bar is rated at 328.0/389.9 in/lbs. (This is approximately similar in size to the Le Mans GT4 (which also had an up-rated rear bar from stock)). I wanted to go firmer at the front to remove some of the body roll and then run the rear bar on full hard. Partly this is psychological. I have higher personal comfort in driving the car faster if there is less body lean. Others love 4 wheel drifts through turn 5 at Gingerman with the car trying to lean the body panels on the ground! To each his own. Anyway, Rob S ran the nums for me (thanks Rob) and thought it a reasonable starting point. Given the ARBs are $250 or so, it is not expensive to change it out/replace it).

First track outing (Road America) is early May. Will let you know how it performs. Hope this is of some use.
    Philip

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Philip,

MANY thanks for your very informative post. Have bookmarked the archives and for those wonddering:

SPRING RATE -- SHOCKS -- ETC
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/199158.html

Fchat sponsor Nick (http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com) offers interesting shocks/spring combo while Truechoice seems to favor stock Koni's and better springs. Nicks shocks seem to really be http://www.italianauto.com/page3.html that are Double-adjustable/ride height adjustable. Naturally also debating the "basic" Moriss Dampers.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm not sure about Nick's, but the last I knew Butch (italian auto) was selling standard oil shocks. Gas shocks are really better for performance. Bilstein, carrera, Ohlins, Morris, penske all make good shock bodies that can be set-up for a 308. I went with the ohlins and have been very happy with them for $2400 with springs. I think bilsteins are a bit cheaper, penske about the same.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Just as another data point, I'm using Tate Casey at Carobu Engineering (www.carobu.com). They've also set up several racing cars and we are working some dual adjustable Konis with adjustable perch and new springs for the Mondial 3.2. Am also lowering and working the understeer out by changing rates. Only Tate seems to have done this before with a Mondial, and Nick did not carry the part. If you want Konis, should order now as the factory is backed up for racing season if your dealer doesn't have them in stock.
    best
    rt

13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    thanks guys, please keep the info coming. 59 days to go until driving season...

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

14. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven