Rollbar, Harness bar, and 7 point harnesses in the CS | FerrariChat

Rollbar, Harness bar, and 7 point harnesses in the CS

Discussion in '360/430' started by Marshall, Jul 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marshall

Marshall Karting

Oct 7, 2005
    Tahoe
    After a year of looking, I finally found someone willing to try to build a race quality roll/harness bar for the CS. The finished product is amazing. DMC Components at Infineon Race waydid the R&D and the install on two CS's. He generally builds race cars for folks (Recently Scott Sharp's Rolex Prototype). He knows his stuff: he's quite a bit deeper than a street tuner. I've been out on track for a couple of days since getting the car back and its much nicer being locked in the seat... car *feels* a little bit stiffer as well. He can do these in 430 or 360's. Harnesses can be 4 to 7 point. Factory belts stay functional.

Pics are posted at his site if anyone is interested... I get nothing from this except knowing that folks on F-Chat are safer and more planted while exploring car's limits on track. If you are in Norcal, PM me if you would like to check it out.

Check out pics at: http://www.dmccomponents.com/

[​IMG]

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Looks like great work.

I don't know about these folks building any Grand Am Daytona Prototypes, though. They're not an approved chassis supplier for Grand Am.

3. Marshall

Marshall Karting

Oct 7, 2005
    Tahoe
    He does do super clean work. I was out with the Stasis WCTC team testing yesterday and was checking out his fabrication work on thier new car... very clean and fun stuff! On Grand Am, technically, they bought a rolling chassis and then tore it down and built up the car. I saw the car as it was being built then run by Scott at Laguna. I think they are changing direction with the program though... fun to see what they come up with. Basic point being he isn't putting spinners on Escalades in between jobs on Ferrari's... which was my main concern when finding someone to tear apart my CS and build me a harness bar :)

4. Maranello Fix

Maranello Fix Rookie

Jul 11, 2006
    How did they match the paint of your CS? Does this installation still allow use of the factory belts?

5. Marshall

Marshall Karting

Oct 7, 2005
    Tahoe
    They matched the Argento by doing a two stage silver spray (he also put on a Italian flag strip on mine. The paint took a couple times, but they were happy to do it as they really wanted a dead on match. They also color matched my biz partners Red Stradale. I don't pics of that one yet. They can also wrap the bar in alcanera with contrasting stitiching to match the dash/extinguisher if you wanted.

The stock belts work as normal. The receiver folds down and out of the way when on track.

6. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Do you have any pics showing the mounting points in the car? How much of the interior needs to be removed and/or modified? I understand it is bolt-in, but I'm trying to ask where it bolts in and how much trim needs to be removed.

Also, any indication of the cost?

Lou

7. Marshall

Marshall Karting

Oct 7, 2005
    Tahoe
    #7 Marshall, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Lou,

None of the trim is removed permanantly. Some peices will be drilled through though. I don't think there is DIY install for this as he does quite a bit of work to mount it on the proper chassis pickup points. I'll post some pics to show the tube and rear firewall mount points.

As for cost, I know that mine was the first so it was the most expensive... I'm not sure how he is pricing the subsequent ones. Even with me picking up the R/D for the bar, its was still a 1/2 to a 1/3 of the cost of getting the European CS set up installed (and I think a bit cleaner too). I'd drop him a line to chat more realistically about price.

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. DMC Components

Mar 30, 2006
    Sonoma,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Jim Dunford
    We have not posted it on our site yet , but the MSRP is $4765.00 for the complete system ( less shipping & installation charges ). This includes : standard color two-stage powder coat , with your choice of color combinations for the belts. The time required to properly do the install depends on whether it is going into a Challenge car - ( no carpeting on the rocker/sill ) or a regular road car with a full interior. Either way , it should take a competent shop 8 - 10 hours to complete the job . We currently have two remaining in the first run that are still available ( awaiting powder paint ) at this time. If the car is located here on the west coast , we encourage installs to be done at our facility ; but we are soliciting for Ferrari service facilities with the properly trained and qualified personnel in-house who are interested in becoming an authorized install dealer to contact us directly @ 707-935-0506. Thanks for your interest , Jim Dunford.

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #9 tonyh, Jul 12, 2006
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    [Reopen, let this one go as commercial post]

11. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    tonyh, where's the pic? I would really like to see OEM roll bar for comparison

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    looks like they were deleted for some reason? i'll repost if you want them?

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Yes please, here or that other plaCe

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    there in other place already , homie :D

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Geez, not making any friends. I was nice enough to reopen the thread because I think it is good and that's how you treat me? :D

16. DMC Components

Mar 30, 2006
    Sonoma,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Jim Dunford
    A customers' CS will be on display Fri. 7/21 at the Trackmasters event if anyone in Nor. Cal would like to inspect the installed unit. Since our production facility is located @ the Track , I would like to invite any F-Chat members to feel free to come and visit us on that day to meet and see our Facility . Please PM me if you would like to , as I think I may be driving some that day , so I'll need to set a time to meet . Ciao , Jim Dunford.

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Please forgive my ignorance, but what kind of seats are those in the picture?
    Thanks.
    :)

18. DMC Components

Mar 30, 2006
    Sonoma,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Jim Dunford
    Those are Factory Challenge Stradale seats , Carbon Fibre and having worked with my share of CF race seats - I must say , these are quite nice. We engineered an aluminum lap belt pass-through with a Bezel that matches the upper ones virtually perfectly. The install proceedure isn't for the faint of heart - cutting on these requires a real veteran to get the factory fit and finish ( one mis-cut and you can imagine the results!).

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #19 tonyh, Jul 13, 2006
  20. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    Thanks tony, pictures will be on our new site being launched shortly.

21. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    tony, why do you prefer one over the other? Not that a factory roll bar is an option for me. Just curious what your thought are about why you like the Harmony bar. I like the way your seat belts mount. I have the factory seat belts, which are supposed to mount like yours, will they work with the Harmony bar?

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I hope you guys who are buying the unit as pictured are doing so for style not for safety. In fact this set-up could be less safe than the OEM system with harnesses attached to the bulkhead. The one pictured appears to have no support such that it is a two point bar i.e. attached via a plate at only two points to the chassis. Also, the attachment plates seems to be nothing more than thin sheet steel out of a bender attached with small diameter hardware. What this means is that if the roof/b-piller of the car goes so will the rollbar right into your head. And at $5000 this is still not a custom harness bar. So if you decide to get more serious and buy a HANS for more safety you could have trouble with the harness bar height and front to back position especially if you are tall your seat bcak comes within 3" of the bar. In my not so expert opinion I would at the very least utilize the factory challenge shoulder harness bolt holes and run a tube from each shoulder harness bulkhead to the main rollhoop so that you can get somewhat of a 4 point rollhoop and still not cut your car. While this area is bulkhead it is better than nothing. In fact this bulkhead can be supported even better than small wimpy plates from the roll hoop to the factory DOT shoulder belt bolt holes but you could even use that. If this system really is as it appears to just be connected to two plates on the floor...boy that is scarey! Energy is = to 1/2 M*V2 You have a very powerful car capable of high speeds such that aerodynamics of its chassis come into play. That wimpy bar may be just fine on a Miata that tops out at 109mph. I'm a rookie builder and that fab would be a couple hours for me and my benders and TIG welder and about $100.00 in cromo metal at retail prices.

Also, teamtech harness systems may not be HANS friendly so you will have to buy again if you take your sport to the next level. Many race clubs will not allow sternum straps either. Teamtech is kinda of a hybrid sternum strap. The picture looks like the 7th point which is traditionally a 5th point in a 5 point sub goes over the front seat cushion. If so that is bad and does nothing. But that's o.k. as long as you have properly installed 6 points. that may be just the picture of the harness drapped over the seat however. If the CS has a seat bottom hole cut around the crouch then I'm wrong on that issue since you can then properly add in the 7th point of the harness. Teamtech is a very unusual harness system and I do not know if the company has any testing of products on the order of say Scroth co.. Teamtech has some unsual pads integreted with their systems to dissipate engery and add driver comfort. They do feel very comfortable but I know of no testing to show their theories work. Industry standards for harnesses have been around for a reason...they work in crashes. There are definate theories as to how a body reacts in a crash. For example the 3" standard belt distributes more load over a wider surface area and sound like a good idea. However, tests have shown and the current line of thinking is that the 2" belt is superior which is counter intuitive at first glance. But the reason it works better is because of superior pelvic control to reduce build-up of kinetic energy. So when you go back to the basics it is totally understadable ehy it works. This works in the same way the high stretch nylon belts are out and low stretch polyester belts are in. Safety is more complex than you think. There is alot to learn and you can bet I am still learning.

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Wow fatbillybob, you have alot more comprehensive knowledge than me on this, for sure. I was just going to say I don't believe that the bar shown would meet Aussie scrutineering regs for a track day, let alone pass CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motor Sport) certification. Looks to be a low impact way of getting the boyracer look in a street car, rather than a serious safety device IMO.
    It would be good if some real experts could pipe up and let us know if that is the case.

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    the Harmony bar i saw looked to be better intergrated into donar car and not at all after mkt. in addition the mounting points for belts were much closer to OEM look with a clever loop system . And it was finished off with stunning yellow seude wrap. :)

25. B.R.

B.R. Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    Full Name:
    B.R.
    I think marshalls roll bar looks extreamly unsafe... those bolts? lol and the poinTs are not where there supposed to be in the back of the seats that child teather is there for a reason guys because that is the strongest point to weld a bar in not 4-inches over the thE left.. oh yeah that should work....YEAH RIGHT!!!!! God forbid you ever do roll the car the only thing that thing is gonna do is turn into a pretzel..