My Attempts to Get My 2005 Coupe Driver's Seat Cover Repaired Under Warranty | FerrariChat

My Attempts to Get My 2005 Coupe Driver's Seat Cover Repaired Under Warranty

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Glenn Wallace, Jul 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glenn Wallace

Glenn Wallace Rookie

Jul 2, 2006
    (cross-posted from ************.com)

Rather than post the entire tale here, and possibly put the forum owner in a position where MNA might suggest the story be removed, I am hosting it externally.

Please click here for the full story, including the vanishing Repair Order, the very helpful but suddenly departed Service Manager, and much more:

http://www.magnetosport.com/seat/

Obviously, I am very unhappy with a) how I've been treated, and b) the fact that they're not repairing my seat under warranty. Cracks in the dye at 3,000 or 6,000 miles are a defect, and even if you do consider it wear, it is certainly abnormal wear when compared to any other car or one's expectations.

I had hoped to resolve this with MNA, but it has gone on too long. MNA NJ has not returned my 3 calls.

If you're about to buy a Maserati, I suggest you consider my experience before you make your purchase.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Glenn, a couple of questions, PLEASE, don't take offense.

Are you a BIG GUY? Wear a XXL maybe? Just checking, I'm good sized too, and was told once that a "guy my size" would wear out an interior faster than normal getting in and out.

To assume the SM got the boot because he was a customer advocate for you on this is a stretch. He had to have considerable other history at the dealership to get tossed. HIgh end customers get attached to SM's, and if the dealer fired him, they must have had some pretty compelling reason. Maybe he quit, who knows.

Have you tried the "I'm very unhappy with this situation" event, staged in the middle of the showroom floor at the dealer's busiest time? Squeaky wheel gets the grease, you know.

It would certainly seem that you have a valid warranty claim. You don't have bolster wear on the seat bottom, only the sides, and it looks as if the dye is simply detaching itself from the leather. I'd ***** about it too.

I wonder why Maserati, having sold you a +- $100K car, won't just fix the damn thing.

But it wouldn't hurt to get the dye repair job done, would it? As long as all parties understand this is an attempt to fix the problem, and not the "only available" fix for it.

Good luck with this. Maybe some noise from a friendly (to you) lawyer would loosen up the purse strings a bit.

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Glenn,

Looks like it is a defective hide to me - way to much cracking even on the headrest for such low milage.

I am no small little flower (6' and 215lbs) - and I had both Ferrari's and Lambos and with thousands of miles - I did not see cracking like this.

I would see if you can get an arbitrator with the BBB - you could avoid court and the decision is binding - and you don't have to pay for lawyer and court, etc.

Rich

4. Glenn Wallace

Glenn Wallace Rookie

Jul 2, 2006
    I'm 6'5" and 250lb, but I've not worn out the interior of any other car... in fact other than a weird patch on an old Saab's passenger seat which was never used (cover replaced under warranty), this is the first driver's seat problem I've had with any car since I started driving in 1981.

Indeed. Hence listing it under my opinions column; What was odd was how ABM brought it into the conversation, and also the very careful way both he and the DP responded to my question. If I was trying to reassure a customer I'd say "unrelated to your issue and a personnel matter between the dealership and the employee". I wouldn't see it as a breach of confidentiality to tell me it was unrelated to my issue. Where there's smoke...

Well generally speaking the dealer is not the company I have an issue with. At the end of the day this is between me and Maserati. I don't think this a productive approach. Rather, I'm choosing to let as many people know about the issue who will listen. Like you.

Thanks!

Indeed.

Yes, HOWEVER the repair comes with conditions in how it is written up, and I am concerned that if the repair is messed up or not durable I have less recourse than I have now.

I will talk with one of my lawyers at work this week, but I believe it may be appropriate for me to hand MNA a letter stating that while I am willing to let them attempt the repair, the fact that I would accept a good will repair in now way is an acknowledgement by me that this is not a warranty issue, and in fact, the opposite, I assert it is, but MNA is failing to treat it that way.

Yes, I've already spoken with a good consumer lawyer in Utah (car is covered under UT lemon law) and he's been very helpful as to the process to follow. It seems a shame to have to do this, I'd rather just enjoy the car. Certainly not a part of the ownership experience I was expecting. :(

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

It's a $100 re-dye job if done by a reputable place and it probably won't re-occur for years if it is done right and the owners treat the leather every 6 months or so and keep it clean.

Or, a new panel can be sewn in for about $250........I've been doing this kind of minor cosmetic repair on my used car inventory forever......

What it looks like is that it was "already" dyed by someone prior to delivery to you, who didn't prep the area properly, worked too fast, and as a consequence the dye is peeling.

If they merely had done one of the above before things got out of control, you wouldn't have noticed the difference and you'd be having a happy Maser experience.

That's where this went sour.......over a $100 goodwill repair.

6. Glenn Wallace

Glenn Wallace Rookie

Jul 2, 2006
    More updates. Seat is fixed, but Maserati proceeded with repair without my authorization while the car was at dealer for other warranty work, yet still won't stand behind the repair, even though VP just agreed to do so, and I made clear that the repair should not proceed unless they agreed to back it up in writing.

So the car is still at the dealer. And it can stay there.

Read the latest updates here:

http://www.magnetosport.com/seat/#latest

7. Glenn Wallace

Glenn Wallace Rookie

Jul 2, 2006
    I received some helpful legal advice that the car cannot be held hostage for a RO signature to terms I didn't agree to up front, so I called the dealer and said "I'm picking up the car" which I did. I signed a receipt for taking possession of it, but not the RO, of which I have a copy.

Happy to have the car back, we'll see how the dye repair holds up. You can be certain I will be wanting them to fix it during the warranty period if it doesn't last.