Mondial Fuel Pump & Fuse | FerrariChat

Mondial Fuel Pump & Fuse

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Vito, Apr 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    1982 Mondial 8 - 17,950 miles - Here's the problem. Last year while driving, the engine suddenly died. Upon investigation I found that the fuel pump fuse had blown. A new fuse solved the problem. However, now there's a new fuel pump fuse issue. Yesterday I looked at the connections for the fuel pump thinking that there might be some corrosion there that was causing the circuit to draw too much current & overheating it. The connections on the fuel pump itself were fine. The ground wire though didn't appear to have a clean ground connection on the frame rail so I cleaned that area (scraped, wire brush, etc) & reassembled it. Now after driving anywhere between 3 & 50 miles the engine dies. Replacing the fuel pump fuse makes everything right once again. The car was out for a ride today - we went about 30 miles total & in that distance the engine died 3 times. Each time the fuel pump fuse was replaced & the car started right up. Each fuse looked to be fine - they weren't blown & no cracks in the metal were noted. When I got the car home, I replaced the fuel pump fuse with the ones that had "failed" earlier & each time the car started & ran fine. Each of the three "failed" fuses worked without a problem. I left the first "failed" fuse in as a matter of fact as it appears to be OK. The key question is what's making the fuel pump cut out that is "fixed" with a new fuse? It's not a matter of time either, as a fuse that's left in after the motor dies, will not restart the motor unless it's removed & replaced. Any suggestions or ideas as to what's going on here - the problem & solution - are greatly appreciated. (messge also posted in model specific section)

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I only know this from doing pre-purchase research on Mondials, but the fuse box has design issues. I would guess that the fuse holder is either broken or has a bad solder connection to the circuit board and just messing with the fuse makes a temporarily good connection. Vibrate for that connection for 20 miles and it gets flaky again. Next time it fails just gives a wiggle and see if the pump starts up again.

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ditto, I've had the same problem on other F-cars.

Reposition the fuse and all is well again.

Last time it happened, I took the fuse block out and repaired it.

No problems since.

4. allanb888

allanb888 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 29, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mondials have a common problem with the connector that goes into the fuse box. I had an intermittant problem with my Mondial 3.2 fuel pump, and the fix involved me fitting a new bayonet style wire connector bypassing and in addition to the existing connector.

The fuel pump draws a high current, which the standard connector fitting can just handle when new. With time, the connector resistance increases till not enough current is available to run the fuel pump. Test this by jiggling the connector next time the fuel pump stops, to see if it starts again. On my car, the connector showed black burn marks, due to the heat produced by the high resistance. Initially I tried many things to try to fix the problem, but when I wired in my connector bypass, the problem was fixed. That was 4 years ago, and it hasn't recurred.

Your fuses do not seem to be blown, but maybe by replacing the fuse, you are also moving the connector contacts, temporarily allowing enough current through.

The other connectors plugging into the fusebox don't seem to cause a problem, I assume because they involve lower current transmission.

Post whether this fixes your problem or not.

5. MondiAl87

MondiAl87 Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento Area
    Full Name:
    Al D.
    I just developed the classic fuel pump connector/fuse problem. Mine was at the 10-pin connector that attached at the right side of the fuse panel. Once I disconnected the connector, the burn mark could be clearly seen on the connector housing. It actually melted the area on the connector. Fortunately, the meltdown did not extend into the fuse panel itself and only affected the connector.

No problem though. For an OEM fix:

The connector is $19.95 and the matching female/or male connectors (depends on your model) at $24 for the set from T. Rutlands. You just snip the wires at the connector (make sure you number each wire to remember the order, or do one pin at a time as you cut the wire from the old connector and thread it through the new connector, crimp and solder the end and pull it back through the connector to seat the pin). This will solve the problem for a number of years.

For an aftermarket fix: You can also just replace the affected pin with the standard plastic covered bayonet fitting found at any home center, attatch it at the end of the wire after threading it through the original connect, connect it to the corresponding pin on the fuse panel, and slide the rest of the connector down and into the fuse panel as before. This would cost about $2 and would likely do as well.

I've done both. I've already ordered the parts from Rutlands. While I'm waiting, I performed the aftermarket fix. I'll check it periodically to see if I want to keep it this way. If not, I'm ready.

While your at the fuse panel, you might as well examine the other multi-pin connectors and relays. Spray the ends with "electircal contact cleaner" as before you replace them. Fortunately, I've been told that it's quite un-common for issues to develope with the other connectors. I also went ahead and ordered 1 each of the different types of square metal covered relays that are at the fuse panel ($19.34 each). Just in case. I'll have them with the car and ready. On my '87 Mondi cabrio, there were only two types.

One of the cheapest fixes there is.

Al.

6. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thank you all for your may ideas & suggestions. I also got a suggestion from Bill Badurski, the Technical director of the Ferrari Club of America. His suggestion was that the fuel pump was going bad. The solution though seems to be much closer now - thanks again. I also noticed that the fuel pump relay that's in the car is a different BOSCH number that that specified in the wiring schematic & owners manual. However, the car has been running fine with that relay there for years.

7. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Wish I had read this thread sooner. Just went through the same exact problem. My '82 Mondial would run fine, then at times it wouldn't start. When it wouldn't start the windows and sunroof also wouldn't work. The problem was the fuse holder (same fuse for fuel pump and window lifts) had a bad solder connection. After running jumpers on the back of the fuse block the car runs fine.

My only complaint about the diagnostic process is that the electrical manual doesn't have a layout to identify the locations of the fuses and the fuse box doesn't have the fuse numbering system the manual uses. Does anyone have a fuse location identifier?

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i sourced a wiring diagram a few yrs ago off the web. it's for the 3.2 however the everything is still the same aside from some cabin changes. it is no longer available on-line since the site is gone. i can make hard copies for those interested.

9. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Thanks for the offer Scott. I have a 1982 wiring diagram for the Mondial 8 but I can't find a component location diagram to cross reference the fuse identifier numbers in the diagram with their physical locations. Does your diagram have a physical location reference?

Also, a word of CAUTION to everyone using the 1982 Mondial 8 wiring diagrams - while diagnosing my problem above we discovered that the wiring diagram (page 2) for the fuel pump and fuel starting relays is incorrect. The relays are wired differently from what is shown. Unfortunately I didn't write down the specifics. I'll check with my friend who help to see if he has the exact pin out.

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    yes it shows the fuse locations, they are numbered even! and what they are for. also it has the internal 'wiring' of the fuse block to show how each fused is carried to which relay and to what connector. also lists the locations of the connectors.

all in all i found it highly accurate, considering it's for a 3.2 and i have an 8. the only differences will be interior switches and enigne related. but chassis is the same and i found it to be very usefull.

it's broken down by circuts which is very nice. each fig starts with a page listing the items and color of wire, the second page is the circut diagram from the fuse block out, it even points out where a circut will interact with another and where.

i was able to use to re-wire the radio. fix the door locking. some external light issues. fuel pump relay and on, on. i even removed the entire fuse panel and cleaned the contacts and re-wired some PO's mistakes.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    you know if somebody ahs access to one of those fancy office scanner/copiers that makes PDF's we could do that and host it somewhere.

12. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
  13. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Found the info on the fuel pump relay wiring diagram inaccuracies:

On page two of the 1982 Mondial 8 Wiring Diagram the fuel pump relay is shown differently than what is actually wired in the car. Electrically it doesn’t make a difference but it can drive you mad when trying to trace out the circuits. Reverse pins 87 and 30 as well as pins 85 and 86 on the diagrams for accuracy.

14. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Scott,

Javelin276 beat us to it in another thread. He posted the 3.2 wiring diagram in PDF format.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87920&page=2

15. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Just an additional note for everyone. While working on the car I noticed that the relay that was in the fuel pump location was not the relay identified in the owners manual nor the wiring diagram. The relay in the car was a 2-pole 15A unit. Whereas the relay called for in the manuals was asingle pole 30A unit. I replaced the relay with the proper one & it is working fine. The car has been out a number of times since the new/correct relay was installed & there hasn't been a problem. Yesterday, for example, it was out for a 30 mile run with about half of that at a steady 65-85mph. I have to beleive that everything was as warm & under as much load as it would ever be & thepump ran fine. Could the problem have been the relay all along?

16. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    After last week's drive, I thought that all was well. But, today the problem was back & worse then ever. The car started fine from cold & warmed up OK. We set out on what was to be a 60 mile ride but had gone less than a mile when the motor died like before. This time I just removed the fuel pump fuse & then put it back in place. The motor fired right back up & off we went. About 2 miles later it stalled again. This time I simply turned the key off & waited, less than a minute. The motor fired right up. The third stall happened about a mile later. Same process - turn off, wait a moment, fire it back up. That was it - drove the car back home & will now look at the fuse block again to see if there's something else that's casuing a problem. Thanks to all of those who've responded for their input & comments.

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

I think this is the most reliable fix, and would add taking the out put wire and splicing directly into the wire after the connector, completely hving the current bypass the white plastic connector. You would never worry about it again.
    good luck

18. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    snj5/Russ Tanner - thanks for the suggestion & link. Today though I took the fuse panel totally apart & found that the plastic around the top female connection for fuse #4 (fuel pump) has been deformed, probably from heat. My suspicion is that the circuit gets warm with use, the plastic allows the female connector to expand away from the male spade thereby opening the circuit. The photo from lovespeed suggests that he's tapping into the top lead at the fuse panel. I think I need to get behind it in order to have a good connection as the problem seems to be at the fuse block as opposed to at the relay. The 14 fuse block simply snaps in & out so doesn't that make it a bit more invovled?

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #19 snj5, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mark -

I think the problem may be at the connector where you saw the classic overheat. I think that connection is a bit underengineered when the Bosch high pressure fuel pump draws a lot of amperage. Probably draws the most amperage outside the starter motor itself. I would consider taking the offending wire out of the connector (it is the supply TO the pump from the relay) and wire it directly to an external relay as shown by lovespeed.

Good luck

For all Mondial owners: The infamous fuel pump high amp overtemp/burnout at the connector:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Vito,

You are correct. My connector was good but I had the same problem you do with my fuse block. I took out the entire fuse block and soldered heavy jumper wires to the back. Runs great now! Next I will bypass the connector just to be safe.

21. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Tonight I installed an external fuse for the fuel pump by using a 15A AMT heavy duty fuse block. The back of the 14 fuse holder was ground open a bit at the #4 fuse so that I could attach leads with female connectors to the male contacts on the circuit panel. The 12ga leads come through the spot where the fuse holders & the #4 fuse used to be, they were removed as the top one had melted into the fuse block. The leads are threaded through the fuse block & the block re-installed onto the male contacts. The external fuse holder is then attached to the two leads. All connections are sealed with heat shrink tubing. A fuse is then inserted into the fuse holder which has a cover that looks to be very secure. The leads were then folded up & the clear cover replaced over the fuses & relays. The car started right up. Since it was raining I did not take it for a ride but let it run for 5 - 10 minutes. When I was surprised that the connections were still cool - there was no warmth to them at all. Once it dries out, I'll give it a real test. But for now all seems to be working well. Also, the fuel pump is now controlled by a fuse that is readily available at all auto parts stores.