My 308 "GTO look" project | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My 308 "GTO look" project

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bert308, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    As I mentioned earlier, I ordered mirrors from Jim Carpenter but never received them and had to get my money back from my creditcard company by filing in a complaint/recharge form. Today I reveived an email from Mr. Carpenter, the first one since he wrote >"Hi Bert I will get it right out Thanks jim", 30 Aug. I sent him several mails asking about my mirrors but he never answered.
    Since this thread will be in the archives, to make the story complete for anyone searching for "GTO mirrors", I'll post the mail from Mr. Carpenter I received today without further comments. I have drawn my conclusion, you can draw your own. I'm not intending to answer Mr. Carpenters' mail so if you're looking for a pair of mirrors, he has them.

friday 5 dec 2003:

Finally the glass came in for the mirrors I know you have charged back the
    payment but if you are still interested they are ready to go and can be
    shipping tomorrow I will pay the shipping for the inconvenience that I
    caused Here are the pictures I am sorry for the delay thanks Jim

>From: "Bert Kanters" <[email protected]>
    >To: "mary lu carpenter" <[email protected]>
    >Subject: Re: GTO mirrors
    >Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:56:37 +0200
    >
    >"Hi Bert I will get it right out Thanks jim"
    >
    >That was a month ago I ordered and paid 452.10 for the mirrors and
    >shipping.
    >I would like to know the status of my order, did you already ship the
    >mirrors, if so when? Or what is the matter? Let me know something,
    >
    >thanks, Bert.
    >
    >----- Original Message -----
    >From: "mary lu carpenter" <[email protected]>
    >To: <[email protected]>
    >Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 7:26 PM
    >Subject: Re: GTO mirrors
    >
    >
    > > Hi Bert I will get it right out Thanks jim
    > >
    > >
    > > >From: [email protected]
    > > >To: [email protected]
    > > >Subject: GTO mirrors
    > > >Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:11:31 -0700
    > > >
    > > >Dear marylu carpenter,
    > > >
    > > >You've got cash!
    > > >
    > > >LLH Kanters just sent you money with PayPal.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >LLH Kanters is a Verified buyer.
    > > >
    > > >------------------------------
    > > >Payment Details
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >Amount: $452.10
    > > >Transaction ID: 6Y777#########
    > > >Subject: GTO mirrors
    > > >Note:
    > > >Please send the GTO mirrors to Bert Kanters, #######, #####
    > > >Roermond, Netherlands, Europe.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >View the details of this transaction online at:
    > > >
    > > >https://www.paypal.com/vst/id=6Y7########
    > > >LLH Kanters's UNCONFIRMED Address
    > > >
    > > >LLH Kanters
    > > >########
    > > >#######
    > > >Netherlands
    > > >Important Note: LLH Kanters has provided an Unconfirmed Address. If
    >you
    > > >are shipping items to LLH Kanters please keep in mind that you will not
    >be
    > > >covered by the PayPal Seller Protection Policy.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >Thank you for using PayPal!
    > > >
    > > >The PayPal Team
    > > >
    > > >

2. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    and the other picture

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Just an idea, but would reply that since you have proven that you will pay, he should send the mirrors first, then you will forward payment upon receipt.
    No harm, no foul.

best
    rt

4. chevalcabre

chevalcabre Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    I AM IN THE PROCESS OF DEALING A CAR.A 288 GTO ON A 308 78'..TRACK CAR.. I NEED SOME VALUE IDEAS, PICS OF ANY PREVIOUS CAR THAT CARPENTER BUILT.I AM NOT ABLE TO EVEN PULL A WEBSITE FOR CARPENTER??

5. HJ dinogt4register.com

HJ dinogt4register.com Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    almelo,holland
    Full Name:
    hendrikJan Letteboer
    The wheels are 17 inch compomotive, actually the wheels I had before, MOMO R3, looked much more like GTO wheels, 16 inch and a polished stainless steel disc in the middle. Off course they were narrower, 7 and 8 inch. Sold those today for 550 Euro, together with the US bumpers for 300 Euro, which is a good price because there is really no market in Europe for big heavy US bumpers. The guy I sold them to was a used Porsche trader and had a warehouse full of Porsches and Porsche parts, but also a slightly damaged Testarossa for 27500 Euro, 2 308's starting 20000 and...2 328 engines! One block+heads separete, covered in protective wax and looking like new, comment from the guy: "You can put carburators on this one and it will howl!". And a complete engine, gearbox, injection, ignition, 40000 km's and "just serviced at Auto Becker". Thought he would need to get 4500 Euro for that one. Interesting day.

hi Bert,
    i believe you sold the parts to van kessel in Deurne?
    i am interested in those 16''wheels, can you please post a picture of those"old"wheels?
    ps when is the car finished? can you get it ready before SPA?
    best regards,
    hendrik-jan

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Pretty cool stuff, congratulations!

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Bret, that is awesome! Congrads!!

9. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    BTW, in this article is exactly explained what a 308 is, what a GTO is, and what my car will be. Even my mother now knows what I'm doing to my car. And nobody in my area can accuse me of being a pretender with a fake GTO, at least everybody knows now it was a real 308 before.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually this one is astounding and a bit more than "a widebody 308": Look at the interior, they reproduced the dash and center console. Unreal!

All it is missing are the turbos.

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I like it, would like to see when it's painted. Keep up the good work.

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Bert, your car looks good. Keep it up. We would love to se the finished product. IMHO, you are doing it the right way: by yourself. It is hard to find someone that would do such a long and difficult job as well as the person who's goig to drive the car.

As far as the eBay car: it looks great but $55k? I could see paying $40k and that's still too much for what many people would consider a hacked up 308. The rear wheels really throw it all off. If you turbo'ed it and fixed the rear wheels, it would be fantastic 308 driver.

15. Ferrari_nr1

Ferrari_nr1 Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Belgium
    It's a pitty that it's not ready for the Spa Ferrari Days... I really want to see your 308!

16. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    What was the verdict on the Daytona seat skins for the 308.

17. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    italiancarparts.com offered them for $2000+ but they're not htere anymore. I redyed my interior red/black and am very satisfied with the result. It's no way perfect but it will do for now.

18. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    And 4 inches of wheelbase! It is too wide or to short, what you want, typical the Carpenter kit. I'm not saying mine will be better, mine will be even less like a GTO but then, I'm gonna leave the 308 badge on it, not like saying the Mona Lisa in my kitchen is real. I think everybody who knows what a GTO is and knows it is 10x more valuable than a 308, also knows this is not a real GTO. And those who don't know just see a nice Ferrari even with 308 badge.

Having said that, seriously don't you think you should trade your 308 for this GTO conversion? It is far more economical than building your own GTO conversion based on your current car.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Any replica will be always recognizable as such by those who know, no question. I just consider the real badge as adding to the effort of replicating the vehicle. Not to fool people, but as part of the looks. Besides: It is a REAL effort to get the proper badge. Believe me.

I would jump on this one if I had the parking space for it. One of the reasons I'm taking my sweet time is, that only a 308 fits into my space. If I'd buy this car, I would have to buy a new house to store it first.

What was that statement about the Daytona hides? They don't offer them anymore? Oh no!

20. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    He even offered his luggage space, he made vents in the rear lid. That IS an effort, or sacrifice. I saw the badge on ebay sometime. If it was me, of course I took the GT from GTS and the 0 from 308... A REAL effort for me would be to work 20000 hours at $15 an hour, haha. Let's not argue.
    About the hides, I don't know if they still offer them, they rearranged their site but they don't seem to be there. Then, any good reupholsterer should be able to make them, someone made them for italiancarparts.

21. dartman

dartman Rookie

Mar 10, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm not really a big fan of conversions, but your car really looks awsome. Well done.

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Terrific craftsmanship.
    What a great car -and a great job!

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I noticed the additional louvres in the rear. I wonder what's underneath? Just took out the luggage space or put some kind of drainage system?

I was considering the GTS and the 0 thingy, but it won't work, different fonts. However I got lucky and do have the real badges (2nd one for the inside).

24. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    Sweet ride Bert! Nice work, I cant wait to see it painted either. Keep posting photos. I had the GTO kit posted in the Ferrariads.com section here
    about 4-5 months ago and sold a few of the kits. I do sell the parts seperatly if you need them. We made new molds for Butch Hoopers (italianauto) GTO mirrors a couple years ago as his old ones were looking a bit...well, old. I'm pretty sure he gets $750 for the pair, I have 3 sets of them right now and would sell a pair for the same and throw in free shipping to you. I can email you photos I have of the mirrors tomorrow if you email me. [email protected] I also have a pair of the enamel scuderia badges that fit the GTO specifically, they would only be $450 for the pair.
    Then, last but not least...the rear bumpers, it looks like you could use a pair.
    Those are pretty tricky to make, I have a few pairs @ $750 pr. If you email me, remind me & I'll give you some measurements off of my bumpers to see if they will fit your bodywork. Weve been in business for 16 years making
    high quality fiberglass exotic car parts, and have over 50 years of fiberglass experience between 3 guys! The parts are top quality, using only tooling resin for all parts which means no suprises in the years to come. Considering the exchange rate of the Euro, you should make out pretty good buying anything from the US. ;o)

25. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    Forgot to mention: Any day now I should be getting aluminum louvers for the front hood. Ala GTO! Not sure the price on those yet, but I imagine I may ask somewhere around a hundred dollars for the 5 louvers. They will be the same gauge thickness & the same degree bends (22.5) on the louvers as the original GTO in case you were wondering....