Engagement ring purchase advice - Tiffany's worth the premium? | FerrariChat

Engagement ring purchase advice - Tiffany's worth the premium?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ND Flack, Nov 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    #1 ND Flack, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
    Yes, DrS, et al, I know that I shouldn't get married, and anything that flies, floats . . . should be rented. That ship has already sailed though. :D

Here's my issue, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm buying an engagement ring in the next month or so. Ordinarily, I would shop around, learn everything about diamonds, make multiple trips to dealers and jewelers, find the best deal, and have one made. However, I have a full time job and am a full time grad student (for the next 3 years - waiting not an option), and simply cannot dedicate the time necessary to go from novice to pro when it comes to diamond sales. Most of my time outside of work/school is accounted for, so I just can't slip out 5-10 times to do the requisite research to make me comfortable with the diamond merchant and jeweler.

Thus, I found myself at Tiffany's yesterday while the fiance-to-be was out of town - someplace I'd never be but for the time issue.

I am fully aware that there is a substantial premium to be paid there, but I found a ring that I liked that fit my budget. The fiance-to-be does not give a rat's ass about the size of the stone or the little blue box (in fact, will certainly be pissed that I spent the extra for the blue box - hence "keeper"). This is simply a matter of convenience in that I know what I'm getting is high-quality and I don't have to think/worry about it.

My order of priorities:
    -Not getting screwed with a crap diamond from an unscrupulous dealer
    -Quality of diamond and setting
    -Convenience - i.e., don't need to meet the dealer a dozen times to get comfortable, then do the same with the jeweler
    -Size of the stone

I'm leaning towards just sucking it up and getting it at Tiffany's. I'm just wondering if anyone can talk me out of it (Tiffany's, not the engagement). :D

Am I crazy to pay the premium? In the online shopping that I've done (absolutely not an option for purchase of this significance), the size of the ring that I can get for the +/- $7.5k isn't enough to really make a difference to me. But then again, I've only seen the Tiffany's ring in person.

Moreover, anecdotally, other stones I've seen on friend's fingers don't seem to catch the light the same way that the ones I saw at Tiffany's did - or are they just pumping oxygen into the room, Vegas-style? :)

Anybody with a horror story re: Tiffany's that would dissuade me from purchasing there?

Obviously a big step for me - any thoughts are appreciated. Sorry for the length of the post!

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  3. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Funny you should post that - I read that article years ago and hadn't thought of it until now.

But like I said, that ship has sailed... :)

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The ship may have sailed, but there is no need to buy the QEII, if a row boat will do.

5. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    #5 ND Flack, Nov 28, 2009
    :D

Point taken, but my budget is my budget one way or the other - not shopping by size, but by price.

I guess if I had to distill the question to one line, it would be what kind of markup are we really talking? I can stomach 25% for peace of mind and convenience. 75% would make me reconsider. Gray area in between.

Put a different way, I've got a line on a .85 carat ring from Tiffany within my budget. Bumping that up to a 1ct by going elsewhere may not be worth my trouble. Bumping to a 1.5ct might make a difference. But I just haven't seen that in online shopping.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Markups are typically 100-200% on small jewelery items, less mark up on the more expensive pieces, but still "retail" type pricing structure.

Still want to buy?

Tiffany is a public company, their annual report and SEC filings can give you some insight on their business structure if you want to dig.

7. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    May I ask why you have set your budget at 7.5k?

I have read that diamonds cost about $5 to mine and $40 to cut and whatnot. I've also heard that diamonds are one of the very few items that get marked up 100-300% at every step (wholesale to retail etc).

If you really want to spend 7.5k buy a stone from somewhere like bluenile.com and have a jewler mount it, then mail me the extra 5k. :)

Bottom line is, you will get ripped off majorly if you aren't smart about it, especially at Tiffanys. Oh and I'm sure they light their stores in such a way that everything has maximum sparkle. Don't fall for it.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My approach on limited budget at time was getting largest quality diamond I could get from discounter/wholesaler and then we got our actual wedding rings from Tiffany's. Wedding rings much less than a diamond ring and gives them more space for them to write Tiffany's and personalization underneath. :D I took a community college class on diamonds before I bought mine. After the class decided I wanted the largest diamond in my budget that was at least VS & H. That's actually about where the cutoff is for quality of Tiffany diamonds, so we got a Tiffany quality diamond on a Tiffany platinum setting elsewhere for fraction of price. Size of the diamond was 50% larger than if we got it from Tiffany's same cost. I think for diamonds women care more about how large it is than getting it from Tiffany's.

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #9 NeuroBeaker, Nov 28, 2009
    Last April, I was doing a lot of personal looking into diamonds as I bought an engagement ring for my fiancée. I proposed in June (successfully) and the wedding is set for this coming April. :D

Here's a start for what you need to know, but it is by no means fully comprehensive - you'll need to do some further reading and research yourself...

The Four C's: the most important things to look at when you start of your search. ;)
    * Cut: can't be too deep (tall) or shallow, or the light won't refract correctly). There are different shapes you can get, with the 'best' one (in my personal view) being Round Brilliant - not to be confused with Old European which is (outdated and) also round but does not shine as bright due to less light refraction. A diamond of a specific cut can be done more or less well, and getting the angles just right is critical for the way it will refract the light and thus shine. Cut gradings go from 'ideal', 'excellent', 'very good', 'good', and below that isn't worth considering. Cut is extremely important - pay very close attention to this.
    * Colour: There's a scale according to GIA (certifiers), though basically anything below 'near colourless' isn't really worth considering. I reckon a G or an H as a minimum would give you a reasonable diamond.
    • Colourless
      * D (best)
      * E
      * F
    • Near Colourless
      * G
      * H
      * I
    • Faint Yellow
      * J-M
    • Very Light Yellow
      * N-R
    • Light Yellow
      * S-Z
    * Clarity: diamonds can have inclusions, small black carbon deposits in them. Anything above VS1 is pretty good.
    • Flawless: no inclusions - not worth the money unless the diamond is an investment
    • VVS1 - VVS2: very, very small incusions (invisible to the naked eye) - the best grade for jewellery, in my opinion.
    • VS1 - VS2: very small inclusions (rarely visible to the naked eye, but extremely difficult to spot) - a good 'budget' clarity.
    • SI1 - SI2: small inclusions (visible to the naked eye, but difficult to spot)
    • I1 - I2: inclusions visible to the naked eye
    • I3: large inclusions.
    * Carat: the weight of the diamond
    • 1 carat = 0.2g or 200mg
    • Apparent 'size' can vary amongst diamonds of the same weight, as diamonds cut more shallow can appear wider than ones cut more deeply.
    • Generally, I would say that a better quality diamond is preferable to a larger one of lesser quality - as the former will really sparkle and the latter might be mistaken for cubic zirconia.

Also to consider, but much more confusing, is fluorescence. Under UV light, some diamonds will fluoresce a blue colour. Less fluorescence is better if you have a higher colour grade (e.g. D) as the diamond will not appear blue. If you have a lower-rated colour for your diamond (e.g. H/I) then a little bit of fluorescence can actually counteract some of the yellow tinge in the diamond and make it appear more colourless in direct sunlight.

And finally... you'll want to ensure the quality of your diamond with accreditation. Conflict diamonds (the sale of which funds military activity and civil war in Africa) are to be avoided and any accreditation provided by reputable jewellers can assure you that yours is not a conflict diamond. The accreditation will also list any enhancements made to your diamond like chemical bleaching, surface polishing, surface correction (filling in cracks with glass or another clear substance), etc... not that there's anything wrong with 'enhancements' but it does impact the price of the diamond and you shouldn't pay a premium for such a stone. You also can be reassured that the diamond is certainly as good as the jeweller is telling you. DO NOT TRUST AN IN-HOUSE ACCREDITATION as an unscrupulous jeweller can write anything on a bit of paper to say its a fabulous diamond and then sell you a poorly cut one at an extortionate price if you don't have the eye to spot any better! The two I know and trust are GIA (http://www.gia.edu/) and IGI (http://www.igiworldwide.com/).

As for settings.... a setting in white gold or platinum rather than yellow gold can really improve the apparent colour of a diamond in situ. However, white gold is naturally more a grey colour, so needs to be coated with another metal that wears off and needs to be refurbished every 18 months of daily wear. The advantage of platinum, though more expensive, is that it's natural colour is white and any wear does not impact the shine of the setting. Platinum is also a heavier and stronger metal, but be careful what the remaining alloys are in the 95% pure platinum as some combinations can result in extreme abrasion resistance at the expense of brittleness on impact with a hard object.

As for where to go: look to your independent jewellers, they'll give you the most bang for your buck, greatest flexibility, and I found the prices at Tiffany's to be overinflated. Some high-street style jewellers are ok for getting a few ideas for ring shapes if you want to modify it and go for a bespoke design to a fabrication house, but typically they sell poor quality diamonds. You can buy diamonds off the internet, but I'd advise you not to do this for the simple reason that a diamond can look great on paper but lack lustre and fire when you gaze into it (and don't be afraid to ask for magnification) - for whatever reason. Also, if you buy the diamond and the ring separately make sure the house doing the mounting for you is fully insured - diamonds can crack when being mounted and you want it covered.

And that's about it, I think. If there are any jewellers on here, I'm sure they'll be along to correct me where I'm mistaken. For what it's worth, the specification I went with for my fiancée's engagement ring was:
    0.46ct, D colour, VVS2 clarity, round brilliant style, Ideal Cut, Excellent Table (diamond height-to-width ratio), Excellent symmetry, zero florescence, girdle thickness thin-to-medium (the thinner the better), and overall dimensions were 4.99-5.01 x 3.07 mm. IGI certified. This was mounted in a bespoke platinum ring with rub-over settings.

The ring took me many months to find, and I personally examined many, many diamonds - sometimes the specification looked ok on paper, but the diamond just didn't have the fire I needed. Seriously, spend some time gazing into the diamonds when choosing, you want to see it sparkle! Once I'd narrowed it down to a couple of diamonds in a couple of shops, I played them off each other for prices. I wasn't looking for the lowest price, I was looking for the best bang-for-buck and each diamond I treated individually. Fortunately, the one I got was also the one I rated most highly as a diamond and got a good price (if you want to know what I paid and can be discreet, I'll tell you by PM - I don't particularly want to publish a figure in the open forum).​

The other piece of information you might want to know is that my fiancée spent no time at all thinking about the exact size, the exact colour, the exact clarity, the exact cut, or anything remotely to do with price. She stares at it on her finger and exclaims either: "Beeeaaauuutiful." or "Look at the shiny!" As long as it glitters and is from you, you'll have made the right decision - but believe me, the effort you put into choosing and negotiating a really good diamond (that you can afford) will be very much worth it in the end.

Good luck! :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought my wife's ring at Tiffany's 30 years ago and she still thinks it is much better than what she could have had at another store. To her, the Tiffany name was important. When she has had it looked at by another jewler recently, they knew it came from Tiffany's without being told.

11. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    "Want to" has little to do with it.

I understand that there is a markup wholesale v. retail - but I'm likely going retail one way or the other due to time constraints. I'm more curious about Tiffany retail v. "Washington Diamond" or whatever retail.

12. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    #12 ND Flack, Nov 28, 2009
    Price of domestic tranquility :)

But really, it's what I've saved. Seems a relatively reasonable amount - if you amortize it over the course of the relationship, that is...

I hope nobody posting things like this paid for contrasting stitching on their seats ;)

I have a different definition of ripped off -- I'm willing to pay a markup from Tiffany's to buy back the time I would otherwise spend gaining the knowledge that Andrew posted above. But my question is whether they're billing me for my time at $1k/hr or $100/hr. One I'm willing to pay - the other I'm not.

13. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Not a bad thought.

No doubt on the brand v. size - the fiance-to-be would be happier if I didn't get it from Tiffany's. If I do end up there, the first time she'll know that's where I got it is when it goes in for its first cleaning.

I'd love to take a class and learn it, but simply don't have the time.

To reiterate, I don't care about the markup (within reason). I want to walk in and walk out of a place with a ring that's within my budget where I don't have to worry that the damn thing is either a) not what it was advertised as or b) going to fall out of the setting because the jeweler sucked.

In my mind, Tiffany's satisfies those criteria.

Frankly, I'd be just as content with Costco (they've started selling engagement rings). Like Tiffany I trust them not to screw me (with regard to a faux diamond, etc.) and they've got a great return policy. Anybody ever buy any jewelery there?

14. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Thought you might chime in here - I remember reading about your experience :)

At the risk of sounding redundant, your experience is exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

I very much appreciate you posting what you've learned, however. A lot of that is exactly what I'm looking for, but didn't quite have the vocabulary to express it. Very helpful.

Thanks Andrew!

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Only get a certified ring and of course get it insured. Also take it in at least once a year to get inspected and cleaned.

16. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Then I guess my question is, are all GIA certifications equal? I glean from Andrew's post that the two he listed are the standard. But does it matter from where you buy the diamond if it's certified by one of those organizations? Or is the only difference in the setting?

If that's so, I become less worried about walking into the local jeweler and buying a diamond from them. Again, I'm not concerned with the blue box - simply the peace of mind and convenience. And I'm willing to pay a premium for that.

Unless, of course, I'm missing something, which is usually the case.

Thanks to all for the advice - I very much appreciate it.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That was my approach, I got my ring elsewhere and got one of the major certifications, actually it may have been double certified. Maybe even if I remember right the Tiffany rings I looked at were self certified and not by one of the major organizations. I would never get a ring that wasn't certified, if not making sure you are paying market for the quality, just making sure when you take it in for cleaning they don't swap it. I believe these days they even serial the actual diamond.

18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Fair enough. To give you an idea though, Tiffany's quoted me twice the price for a diamond that was nowhere near the quality of the one I eventually bought. As long as the diamonds you're viewing are certified by independent international organisations, then you can be confident the diamond is a good one.

I made sure I knew more than most of the 'salespersons' at the counters and often had to deal with the qualified jewellers directly to get answers to my technical questions. The place I ended up going, I'm also using for the wedding bands and all the staff now call the jeweller/head designer as soon as I walk in rather than try to serve me themselves... I'm not sure if that should be taken as a complement or whether they all think of me as a pain. :eek:

Independent jewellers offer a very personal service and are willing to put a lot of time and effort into your specific order, but I agree you will have to look to find a good one, talk to them to check them out, and that takes a fair bit of time. Tiffany's is probably one of the best of the chains, but they're still a chain and their services are not as personal if you're after something unique, bespoke, or if you want a ring of lower profile (Tiffany's trademark settings are very tall and catch on clothing).

As for Costco, I doubt you'll get a quality diamond through them. It's worth having a look to get some ideas for ring designs, but I'd imagine they're geared towards lower ends of the spectrum for colour, clarity, and cut - even if you can get a larger diamond through them. Make sure anything they're selling is certified as it would be at Tiffany's or a good independent jeweller... but given your budget, I really think you're better off with a dedicated jeweller.

No worries. Admittedly, I had more time to invest than I did funds so I had to make up the difference with months of effort. I tell you, I'm glad I won't have to do any sneaking around any more - as it was extremely stressful trying to keep the girlfriend in the dark while I was sneaking off to visit jewellers on evenings/weekends/etc without her finding out (I wanted the proposal to be a surprise). :eek:

Actually, it's the first time I've ever managed to keep a complete secret from her. All the other times I've tried to get her a surprise present, she'd always had some inkling that it was coming and had an uncanny ability to know what it was going to be. Not sure how she manages it, really. :p

Anyway, I can't think what more I can do to be helpful - but if you think of anything, just let me know. It'd certainly be a smoother process for me the second time through if I had to do it again. :D

That's excellent advice. You should also get it periodically valued to make sure it's insured for the full amount. I bought mine at the low point for diamond prices and if I got back what I paid for it I wouldn't get a similar quality diamond today; it's insured for current market value instead so that I can get a like-for-like replacement in the event anything should happen to it.

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    I'm willing to pay some markup, but 2x the price is probably further than I'm willing to go - my time isn't THAT valuable :)

On that basis, I'll do a little more shopping around to see what I can really get for the money elsewhere.

I've actually had great service at Tiffany's - was pleasantly surprised by that. Didn't hurt that a co-worker dropped far more than I will the week before with the same lady! All things being equal, I'd love to do bespoke, but the time just doesn't allow. I found a pretty low profile one at Tiffany's I liked - their signature setting was indeed a little ridiculous - you could put an eye out if you sneezed wrong!

I'll take a look and see what's there - can't imagine that Costco would sell uncertified - simply due to the PR trouble they'd get in over conflict diamonds, etc...

Thanks so much for the insights - hope you don't have to do it again!

Will PM you if I have any specific questions down the line - appreciate your help!

20. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Did your gf specifically ask for something this expensive? If not, maybe she'd be happier saving the money. And if you need to spend a certain amount to please her, I'd be worried. Just sayin..

I don't have a Ferrari yet, so no contrasting stitching. But the difference there is - you either pay for it, or you don't. With a diamond ring, there are a zillion different retailers, wholesalers, price points, sizes/qualities, etc etc. Not the same comparison at all.

I am sure you are a busy guy, but if you are putting in the time to propose and get married, I'd think spending at least a few hours doing the research would be worth it.

I know many people who have bought the stone and then had it mounted separately, and they've saved a ton of money. If you don't think saving 5k is worth your time, then buy from Tiffany's. PS you can buy a Tiffany's box on eBay for 10 bucks if it makes you happier. :)

At the end of the day, it's your (and your future wife's) money...

21. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    #21 ND Flack, Nov 28, 2009
    Quite the opposite - she's not much of a flash person, so would be completely content with something else - in fact, would probably prefer anything but Tiffany's (again - "keeper" :D ). Tiffany's was simply a place I knew and trusted - was the easy, albeit expensive, way out.

While I don't have a lot of time, it's more accurate to say that I don't have a lot of unaccounted-for time that I can use to shop around without her catching on and ruining the surprise. There's only so many 2.5 hour haircuts I can go to before she gets suspicious :) .

Y'all have convinced me (I/we will thank you later) to at least go check out other places. It somehow escaped me that we have state-specific forums for a reason, and have gotten a few good leads there.

Thanks for all the advice guys - very much appreciate it - will update as the process moves forward.

22. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I understand more now.. but still have a few suggestions..

If she wouldn't you to buy a ring from Tiffany's then why spend almost 8k on something she doesn't want? Sounds like she'd be happier with you saving the money. On top of that, an engagement ring is supposed to be meaningful, and represent the sacrifice you are making for her. It shouldn't be special because it's from Tiffany's - it should be special because you spent the time and effort to get her something you think she'll enjoy.

If the time issue is mostly related to being able to get free alone time to shop or do research - the solution to that is to use the internet. You can do all of the research on diamonds online, and be more prepared when you have a chance to sneak out for the purchase.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/608684/

That should keep you busy for a while :)

23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    One of the nice things about tiff's is it is like having a trusted source work on your ferrari and you don't have to second guess their honesty, commitment, or ability. When your home owner's insurance sees tiffany's as the source and a GIA (I forget the name of it) certification that goes with it, you get alot less scutiny as to true value and authenticity of the stone. Their designs are conservative,timeless, often copied, and the value will hold vs. funny things ringmakers do today like have laser etched numbers in stones which devalue them but any idiot with a scope can read vs. having a GIA cert which is a finger print of your stone that is confirmed by a gem expert. Fine jewelers like tiff and cartier really are a cut above like ferrari is to vette both fast cars but if you are in the "know" which would you rather have?

24. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
  25. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    If you can spare an hour at your computer, then go to goodoldgold.com and learn about diamonds.

I say cut is the most important of the C's... because a big ass diamond won't sparkle if it's not cut well. A great cut is way more important than inclusions (especially VVS/VS). After cut, color... and clarity and carats are last.

You can spend an hour and learn about the various metrics (like "hearts and arrows" diamonds) and at least be educated enough so when you go to a shop and ask (or you call), you will have the requisite knowledge to get something good.

As for Tiffany's, I think it would be a mistake to assume the name implies a certain level of quality over other jewelry stores. Just my experience having bought some stuff before.