How much bhp can the 348 engine handle? | FerrariChat

How much bhp can the 348 engine handle?

Discussion in '348/355' started by angelis, Sep 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Can the 348 engine handle 500bhp?

Either as a standard engine with no modifications or with internal mods such as titanium conrods etc?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sure, why not? :D:D

3. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I hope you are right!! :D

I thought the koenig turbo's with 520bhp didn't have any internal work done, but looks like I was wrong.

"complete engine conversion with 2 turbo-chargers, additional oil- and gearbox cooling, intercoolers, modified motronic, turbo-pistons, including disassembling and assembling of the engine"

Structurally, the engine should be able to cope with the substantial increase right?

Also, would the standard 348 flywheel and clutch be usable?

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Turbo pistons are to change the compression ratio...that's not power related, that's a turbo-related mod.

One would expect that the dual clutch 348s would handle more torque than the single plate clutches...horsepower per se isn't the problem...the clutches can handle horsepower.

Torque, however, can challenge clutches. As can heat.

348 Competiziones have extra tranny cooling. Plugzit has the bolt on case as a spare part.

Also, keep in mind that the 348 motor is larger than the turbo F40 motor. Adding turbos to the 348 offers the potential of more power than the F40 had, especially since the 348 already has the F50's superior Motronic 2.7 engine controllers.

5. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Thanks for the info.

Have you got any more info about the extra tranny cooling?

The route I may be taking is not via Turbo's or superchargers. I'm thinking that cooling may be a big problem for what i have in mind.

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Im always right. :D:D

Remember the Aussie 355 with twin turbo's? ;);)

That was a stock engine and was making around 700HP. :D:D

Ah, is that WHY that kit costs $50K? :p:p

Too easy mate. :):)

My friend here is a turbo wizzard. Fits and does turbo conversions on everything. :p:p

He asked if I wanted to twin turbo my 348 a long time ago. I declined, but we did the maths and he said we could get a lazy 450HP and could push it to 500HP if I wanted. :):)

All on a stock engine, of course. The hardest part was where to mount the intercoolers. Everything else was pretty straight forward. :):)

Of course there were NO gaurantee's it wouldnt blow up, but I reckon we would have been right. :):)

Would be useable, just not sure how long the clutch plates would last. :p:p

My clutch is good for around 800HP IIRC, and I forgot how much torque. I am sure there is someone in the UK that could make you the same clutch, if not..........let me know and I will PM you the details of who made mine here in Aus. :):)

Interesting stuff! :):)

NITROUS BABY!!! :D:D

Talk to Andy Hill! ;);)

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  8. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #8 davehelms, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ah heck, you can hang hair dryers on a split window bug and make it fast...no challenge to that.

My findings have been the crank is bomb proof with a bit of polishing and the rods should be upgraded to Carrillo or the likes due to the RPM required to pull big numbers.

Extra bracing on the cam belt idlers and custom built tensioner bearings are required to set the tension where it is required for big bump cams. Valves and springs to match the lumps, coated followers have helped reliability. For the new engine I am building extra guide pulleys and fences to further dampen out belt oscillation on the long run areas in an attempt to run reasonable tension readings. The first Sprint engine build ran 2.5 mins before the belt jumped a crankshaft tooth on initial break in with the belt tension set at 1.5 times that of stock... I got lucky once, never happens twice. Heavy springs and big lumps cause that single belt to flap around an alarming amount at certain RPMs.

I have found fatigue cracks in some of the early engine build pistons near the wrist pins and after changing to Cosworth pistons have had no issues to 9800.

I have an aluminum flywheel using a triple disc clutch of about 6.5" diameter....PITA to get things rolling with that but it sure revs quickly upon cracking the throttle. For a street use I would consider a stock flywheel to remove the shock loads to the drive train combined with a stock dual disc type arrangement with a little more spring pressure if required although I doubt it would be. The extra weight of the stock type components would be a benefit with lumpy cams in a street use situation.

BIG oil cooler up front and up sized radiators were found to be a must for track use. Power = heat...gota get rid of it.

I found the tall H manifold to help smooth out the cams a bit for tight track performance over the slide valve type and plan on using that for the enduro engine to be run occasionally on the street.

All in all a pretty sound package...at least that is what I have heard from a closet 348 owner...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Excellent advice/tips there Dave!! :D:D

10. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    +1

:D

Oh no you aren't!! :D :D :D

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Hair dryers are for sissy's, snorkles are for real men

12. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Real men don't put sissy garage doors on their shop...

Remind me not to ask you anything about installing bat insulation

13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hahahaaa!

Don't let Mark hear that. But then again that boy is nuts. He's gonna be packin 12 pistons into that car of his, that's a lot of suckin power. And what an awe inspirin job he's doin.

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The followers for the belt?

15. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    You realy dont need turbos or superchargers to get high power from the 348s. The Ferrari Club of Italia enterd a 348 at the Lemans 1994. The car was driven by Oscar Larrauri and Fabio Mancini. i beleve. And bosted between 450-500bhp. A very special engine indeed built with out forced induction.

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #16 davehelms, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

Hey now....

Get back to work...finish the equation to calculate the frontal area of that "Hoover" you are building..who needs to cut through the air if you can just snorkel it in and digest it.

Kris said I could use anything I wanted in the garage design.....so long as she choose it.

Insulation was a surprise gift from our son...a work in progress.

I think I just made a deal on a 108 yr old Oak timber frame barn from Montana yesterday... that will become the home shop. Kris still thinks it for the horses...we will see the clash of the Titons when she finds out anything that burns oats is banned. I was talking about other horses

17. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #17 davehelms, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

Each time I speak to him and look in on that thread it boggles my mind

Gota have something to jab them with... one day we can talk about my efforts of putting (2) 1" air impacts on a single shaft and hanging them on a 1098 Mini, pressurizing a couple of SU carbs in a box...you want to talk about an un-natural noise!!! Its a sickness Ernie, a medical condition of some sort.

18. marcov

marcov Karting

Dec 8, 2007
    Ottawa Canada
    Full Name:
    Marco V
    Is there a post, or a step-by-step description, on how to modify the 348 transmission to include an external oil cooler?

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    For streetcars Nitrous is the way to go IMO. It is clean easy temporary always passes smog and leaves a tested stock motor is a condition to cover the maximum number of miles. Adding 40-50% more HP is very safe for a street motor. Once you crack your motor open and modify often times reliability goes right out the window and unless you go some experience you never really know what you are going to get except a very very large bill for the modifications. With Nitrous you are in and out for about the cost of a set of tires and a day's work.

20. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    The 348 has a smaller rhd water radiator located on top of a similar sizes oil radiator.

The 355 has a larger rhd water rad and a larger oil rad behind it.

Can these two 355 rads be fitted to a 348 to increase cooling?

21. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Hear that Bruce? Fatso says its OK for you to "pass gas"..... Think you had a hard time finding help before?

Any closer Sy?

22. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    It can take as much horsepower as you can give it until it breaks....Thats why the call it break horsepower.

(sorry Sy....couldn't resist...low on medication)

23. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I should have it all tied up around the 24th of this month as they are currently on holiday.

Still waiting for the info I requested from them weeks ago!!

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #24 fatbillybob, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't like those little tanks either...

25. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

Well now!!!!!!!!! "Where EXCESS is barely adequate....."

That would have Bruce giggling like a school boy on recess!