I'm fed up with my 308's lack of AC!! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

I'm fed up with my 308's lack of AC!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ultimate Pedals, Aug 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    #126 Ultimate Pedals, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry for not responding sooner.

I gave up trying to have evaporators and condensers manufactured.

I will manufacture mounting brackets for an off the shelf parallel flow (4-pass) evaporator which is 30% more efficient that the factory condenser.

The brackets will also provide mounting holes for two 12" fans.

I have sourced a R-134a dryer/pressure switch that will fit in the factory bracket.

I will be receiving the continuosly variable compressor on Friday, 4/18/08.

The only catch with the compressor is the "V" groove pulley which will have to be custom made.

I will manufacture an adapter plate which will allow the new compressor to attach to the factory compressor bracket.

I have also sourced a block style R-134a expansion valve.

The only major component left is the evaporator which I will attempt to manufacture.

Here is a screen shot of my first pass design for the evaporator.

More to come (including photos)

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    FWIW, I agree with Cosgrove. I put a Sanden in my 308QV. I got the kit from Carr Autoparts in Houston. All told it ran less than $300. Despite my specific instructions, the wrench who installed it put in 134 instead of 12 and it didn't cool a damn bit better than before, although it did drain less horsepower. I would stick with R12. If it becomes unavailable, the R12 system can be converted to 134 without a lot of trouble, if I understand correctly.

Another thing I would do is swap out the old fuse block for a modern one. Someone on this board (Birdman?) made up a bunch of them a couple years ago. I have one that never got into my QV, but it's destined for the 79 308 I'm about to get. I'm told they make all the electronics in the car work better, including the air conditioning fan. BTW...I didn't read all the posts in this long thread so I don't know if some of this has been mentioned before.

3. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I just finished reading this entire thread. It is sort of like Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. I have subscribed to this thread and I am looking forward to future episodes. I just bought my second 308 and once again the A/C does not work. I would like to get it working but now I have to wait for the results of Rob's work before I can decide which way to proceed. (Like waiting for Empire Strikes Back to come out.) I really hope this has a happy ending.

Rob,
    If this works out, do you plan to package kits and sell them or will you make the parts list and instructions freely available? Is there anything I can do to help?

May the Force be with You

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Why not use the one off the York that is already on the car? Get the centerline of the new unit lined up with the old and now you can use OEM belts, tensioner, etc. with no major modifications to that part of the system.

5. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    What are the specs of the required pulley? I am aware of a small company that makes custom pulleys for another car I owned. If you had a CAD drawing I could ask them for a quote. Or if you are interested I could just put you in touch with them.

BTW I would probably be willing to give up my spare tire if the extra room was needed for the air conditioning. Might be able to increase the air flow through the radiator also so that my engine and I can both be a bit cooler.

6. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I guess at this point we are not talking about having this ready to install this summer. Can you post some information on the parts you have selected so far? Model/Part Numbers, Retailers, web sites, prices.
    • The continuously variable compressor
    • The R-134a dryer/pressure switch that will fit in the factory bracket
    • The off the shelf parallel flow (4-pass) evaporator which is 30% more efficient that the factory condenser.
    • The block style R-134a expansion valve

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This could be really 'cool'.
    I am watching this thread closely for possible Mondial applications as well.
    Many thanks!

8. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor

Work is progressing.

I will post photos as I comlete each part.

Here is a quick summary.

The following is complete:

1) compressor pulley design
    2) condenser fan mount design
    3) electrical connector parts list
    4) compressor adapter plate design

The compressor adapter plate material was ordered on Monday.

I am currently finishing the condenser mounting bracket design.

I still have to:

1) design tooling to modify the condenser
    2) finish the evaporator design
    3) design the compressor hard lines
    4) finish the condenser hard lines design
    5) design the evaporator hard lines
    6) order the new compressor belt
    7) order the compressor suction screen filter
    8) order the expansion valve
    9) order data aquisition system

More to come.......

9. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    #134 Ultimate Pedals, Jul 2, 2008
    Here is a visual update on my efforts:

compressor pulley (custom made to accept a 60 degree v-belt versus the standard 38 degree v-belt used on most cars, 20% smaller diameter than stock so compressor will run faster at idle, also compressor has 43% larger discplacement than stock, idling at a stoplight places the highest demand on the system)

condenser with cooling fans (straight blade and curved blade fans shown, final design will use curved blade fans for both sides)

expansion valve (block style with internal temperature and pressure sensing, stock unit only had temperature sensing)

evaporator in housing (extra space around the core will be packed with foam to make sure all the airflow goes thru the core)

evaporator core (serpentine design, all aluminum, not my first choice but it will be used for initial testing)

clutch connector (watertight)

fan connector (watertight, one set for each fan)

receiver/dryer (R-134 desicant, same exterior dimensions as the original R-12 unit)

trinary pressure switch (R-134 setpoints, includes radiator fan control switch)

more to come.....

10. Brapbrapbrap

Brapbrapbrap Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Hal
    Rob,

Awesome. I can't wait. Which compressor are you using?

H

11. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Rob-

Are you planning on marketing any of this to the group? If you are I am interested! I am sure there are others as well. I would love to get the specs on the SPAL blower motor replacement and order one for myself; as well as your new condenser with the fan mounts! I think those two improvements alone would get me to where I need to be with my system....

12. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    Title says it all.

Stephen

13. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    BUMP

Rob, how are things going? Updates?

14. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor

A lot of progress has been made.

I decided to design a new evaporator assembly due to the poor manufacturing quality of the cores I had designed last year to fit in the original housing.

Completed items in car:

1) compressor
    2) condenser and fans
    3) evaporator and fans
    4) expansion valve
    5) dryer

Incomplete items:

1) hi and low pressure charge port brazing
    2) condenser fan connectors (waiting on pins, expected delivery this friday 1/23)
    3) compressor clutch wiring harness
    4) evaporator electronic fan speed controller (digital thermostat in the near future)
    5) dryer to expansion valve tubing assembly brazing (waiting on tube expander, expected delivery this friday 1/23)
    6) high pressure hose to condenser tubing assembly brazing (waiting on tube expander, expected delivery this friday 1/23)
    7) pressure switch wiring
    8) system testing

I will post pictures shortly (need to ship this weeks orders first, that whole making a living thing keeps getting in the way).

Thank you for your patience.

Rob

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #140 snj5, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    Rob,

thanks for all of your brilliant and immensely detail oriented work on this. From your research, what parts here might be value added for a Mondial? I realize the in-dash unit is completely different, but was wondering if you had any recommendations?

Again, many thanks

rt

16. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    #141 Ultimate Pedals, Feb 2, 2009

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the Mondial A/C system.

The plan is to finish this first system and then keep adding applications.

Completed items in car:

1) compressor
    2) condenser and fans
    3) evaporator and fans
    4) expansion valve
    5) dryer
    6) hi and low pressure charge ports
    7) condenser fan connectors
    8) dryer to expansion valve tubing assembly
    9) high pressure hose to condenser tubing assembly
    10) evaporator fan connectors

Incomplete items:

1) compressor clutch wiring harness
    2) evaporator electronic fan speed controller (digital thermostat in the near future)
    3) pressure switch wiring
    4) system testing

I tested the evaporator fans after connecting the ducts and noticed a lot of air thru the lower center vent but very little air from the upper dash vent.

Figured I would pull the louver from the dash vent and did not like what I saw.

My car does not have a center dash vent duct seal.

This seal is supposed to bridge the gap between the top of the duct and the bottom of the dash.

Without the seal the air can simply escape under the dash.

After searching Ferrarichat I was not happy to hear about not being able to remove the dash with pulling the windshield.

Something about brackets that go under the windshield seal??

After much head scratching about how to install a seal I decided to see if I could somehow access the area from the side after removing the instrument cluster.

I then noticed that the driver side defroster vent did not have a seal either.

The gap starts at 1/2" at the top and gets bigger towards the bottom ending up at a 1.375" gap.

Ideally the seal would be glued to the top of the ducts.

I then decided to remove all the dashboard screws to see if I could lift the dash enough to gain access.

To my supprise the dashboard was not attached to the windshield and came out easily after removing the steering wheel, turn signal cluster housing, and radio.

The only part that stays in the car is the black aluminum trim piece between the dash and the windshield.

I REPEAT YOU CAN REMOVE THE DASHBOARD WITHOUT REMOVING THE WINDSHIELD!!

My car is an 85 308 QV US version, not sure it this is true for earlier or later cars.

Anyway I spent some time on the phone today with foam cutting companies to see about having closed cell foam seals cut with self advesive glue on the bottom.

I e-mailed CAD drawings of the seals to the companies who have said they will respond quickly.

(see attached images)

The saga continues.

Rob

17. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    rob you're amazing. another great discovery. until now i too believed the windscreen removal. my dash needs some minor work, leather pulling away from side vents. could you give a little more info on your removal technique. thnx.

18. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I don't think removing the windshield is the problem, it's getting it back in. The fit between the dash and the metal trim/windshield is darn near impossible to get back in. You've got a sandwhich of materials going into that grove and it's very tough to do w/out things getting folded over/mashed/etc... good luck.

19. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    #144 Ultimate Pedals, Feb 2, 2009
    Here is a summary of how I removed my dash.

1) remove two screws on each side of dashboard(open doors to reveal screw heads, one above the other, phillips head screws)
    2) remove radio
    3) dislocate relay board next to fuse blocks to access lower dash securing screw (phillips head) from the passenger side
    4) remove instrument cluster (pull out four warning lights in each corner of cluster to access moutning screws, phillips head screws)
    5) disconnect instrument cluster wiring harness (three connectors below instrument cluster)
    6) remove instrument cluster top cover (four mounting screws easy to remove after removing dashboard, 10mm wrench)
    7) disconnect instrument cluster dimmer harness
    8) remove horn button and steering wheel from steering wheel adapter (six flat head socket cap screws)
    9) remove steering wheel adapter (this requires a 38mm ring nut socket and a three jaw puller)
    10) remove turn signal cluster housing (securing screw located at lower right hand corner of housing, ~5 oclock position)
    11) disconnect turn signal wiring harness (two connectors next to steering column)
    12) gently pull dashboard toward you and slightly down to clear windshield side pillar trim pieces
    13) after dash is free you will have to lift it up and over the steering column

(please forgive me if I have left anything out)

(see attached images for photo of a home made 38mm ring nut socket from an old 12 point 1.25" socket wrench and a Dremel tool)

Like most disassembly projects I would stress not rushing or forcing anything.

If something is stuck figure out why, don't use brute force instead of your brain.

I have installed and removed the dash several times to check/confirm the vent seal design.

On my car there is no clearance issue with the trim piece or the windshield.

I REPEAT, IT IS VERY EASY TO REMOVE AND INSTALL THE DASH!!

Again, I can not vouch for earlier or later cars.

Rob

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    #145 Darolls, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    Unless someone did a redo, or somehow did a special order when new, you're dash material isn't leather, it's vinyl.

Anyhow, and I don't mean to pop anyone's balloon, if Rob's A/C mod makes any difference in cooling ability I'll be very surprised. I hope all the work pays off but many have tried and all have failed.

I must say Rob, you are to be commended for making one helluva an effort!

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Just reading the more recent posts it sounds like some of the problems discoverd are very much like what was found on the Mondial - many duct leaks causing the cooling air to be wasted. In the Mondial the sealing foam was of poor quality and deteriorates. There were many under dash leaks, that when easily fixed, brought the volume and flow up to acceptable.
    I would suggest that a good first step in renovating anyone's a/c, is to get under the dash and seal up the duct work tightly with new foam, weathersriping or duct tape as neccesary - I think one might be suprised at the effect. Norwood's says my stock system is the best Ferrari a/c they have ever felt and all I did was seal up the duct leaks and use a more open central vent. There is a thread on it somewhere under 'Mondial air conditioning'

22. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Don't forget the heater vents feed into the under-dash distribution plenum (where the 3-round vents sit) and it likely leaks and allows hot air to mix with the cold air before it comes out of those vents.

Glad to hear you got it back in. I'd just read that getting it out was easy, it was putting it back in that was the real PITA.

23. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    it is a re-do, albiet not very well done hence the needed repair. the only problem is taking the car out of service for the time needed to do the work.

24. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I understand, but have the dash done in vinyl to prevent shrinkage again.

25. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I WAS IN THE POOL, I WAS IN THE POOL !!!