Timing Belt Failure After Only 150mi!! WTF!?!? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Timing Belt Failure After Only 150mi!! WTF!?!?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Adaptel, Apr 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

I might speak for others here that your are referring to as "cheap" . .. as an engineer I have wanted to understand why certain parts and services are so ridiculously expensive when a Ferrari . .. both the engine and the car itself, is just a summation of parts . . . . after 15 years of ownersip I'm still trying to figure it out :) . .. personally the big difference I see between F motors and "almost everything else" is you have to know how to read a mic, telescopic gauges, and indicators PROPERLY :) . . .. the term "blueprinting" use to be thrown around when a guy did a proper job on an engine . .. anyone checked/confirmed the numbers on a blueprinted engine? Because I'm a manfuacturer I've measured a lot of parts . . . I remember hearing you give a mic to 3 different guys you'll get 3 different numbers . ... BS unless you want to start talking .0001" and I don't think there's a single feature that close (okay maybe some shafts and gears but I doubt anyone here is contemplating making those except me) . .. .001" is a mile when you know what you're doing.

I wouldn't claim to be able to do my own heart surgery yet . .. . a buddy of mine just had it . .. if there were enough years left in my life I'd go back to school "just in case" after all the differences of opinion between qualified professionals . .. huh . .. just like mechanics :). His advice was if you ever have a procedure like that, talk to lots of doctors and educate yourself as much as you can about what they actually do . .. some people may not have the brain power (not meaning to insult) to understand what comes out of a doctors mouth . .. just like with mechanics . .. mechanic says replace 'cause he can't measure it or check it. As an engineer I can interpret and digest every word that comes out of a mechanics mouth when it's based on laws of physics . .. . unfortunately a lot of mechanics make up their own physics :).

I must also had that I enjoy taking things apart and analyzing wear 'cause it just makes me a better engineer . . . it's called R & D but I can sympathize if you're tearing your motor down and don't joke about it as "research" with your buds.

Cheers,

Sean

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    don't forget the 'flat rate mentality' that permeates thru the 'profession'.

Knowledgeable guys like Adaptel do far better work than flat raters. I am going thru my TR major at this time & am spending a considerable effort fixing the crappy work that was done by the 'professional' before me.

things like ;
    ~ missing o-ring on the vacuum pump shaft
    ~ finger tight spark plugs
    ~ cracked alternator air vent housing
    ~ dented coolant pipe under the ac
    ~ wrong hose clamps
    ~ over tightened hose clamps
    ~ slop lithium grease splattered in the distributor caps from cam seal excess on install
    ~ from crank bolt only lightly tight (it calls for nearly 150 ftlbf if I recall correctly)
    ~ stripped threads on a cam gear cover to backing plate bolt hole
    etc etc etc

rgds,
    Vince

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

How do you know it was a professional...has anyone every sold one of these cars that had the heading in the ad :

Ferrari for sale : Hack mechanic did the work, weekend wariror while having a beer did the clutch at the trailer park ?

Your funny....how do you not know it wasn't the last 2 hack owners that were DIY and couldnt afford the car ? Let me guess, cause you know the dealer ....gotcha. What you describe ontop sounds like a weekend warrior to me ... not a dealer.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You are both partly right.

I've seen a lot of schitty work done by "certified" technicians trying to get ahead of the book time. There's enough incompetence in the world to go around.

5. Adaptel

Adaptel Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Concord, NH USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Pearson
    #105 Adaptel, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok guys....first of all, I want to say thanks to everyone who provided me helpful advice, ideas, suggestions, and condolences regarding this most unfortunate tragedy. I have made a discovery that, in my mind, leaves no more room for speculation about what caused my belt to fail. I was out in the garage this evening and decided to blow out my engine compartment with compressed air, and start prepping for the arrival of my repaired heads and my parts. As I was doing this, I heard something fall onto the ground. When I picked it up to investigate. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. What I was looking at was a State of New Hampshire highway token, bent in an arc pattern....looking like it had gotten caught in something. Matching it up to the lower belt driving pulley, the radius and type of the deformity seemed consistent. Also, the size of this object was consistent with the failure point of the belt. Looking closely, and it is not so clear in the photos, I can see an impression across the token that perfectly matches the width of the driving gear’s teeth. The metal used in this piece is very soft and also explains why it did not leave any evidence behind on the driving gear as a harder washer might. When I add up all this evidence, I feel confident that this object was what caused my belt failure.

The next question one might ask would be “where did it come from”. Well, I will probably never know for sure, but I know it wasn’t in there to begin with. These tokens were completely phased out due to the installation of electronic toll collection equipment (Fastlane) in New Hampshire, and have not been accepted for 4-5 years now. I will throw out this purely speculative scenario, which is just that, that I have come up with based on the facts….. The spot where my belt broke was located about ¼ mile before an entrance ramp to a toll road. Someone may have been searching under their seat or ashtray looking for the two quarters needed to pay the entrance toll and found an old NH token. Realizing it was worthless, this person carelessly threw it out the window, and it came to rest in the roadway. Somehow, one of my tires kicked it up and it bounced around until it found the space behind my timing belts….and the rest is history.

At the moment, I feel like the unluckiest guy on the planet because I am aware of astronomical odds of something like this happening. On the other hand, knowing what caused this does provide me with some reassurance that I can fix my motor and continue to enjoy my car, without fear of another random failure. This problem wasn’t due to my improper installation, being a hack, not using a Staeger gauge, or anything beyond a bizarre an unlikely event. In other words, sometimes sh*t happens. I could probably drive over 100 coins per day for the rest of my life without being able to reproduce this problem again.

The only question left is…..should I have rear guards on my timing belt covers? Looking into this issue, it seems like Ferrari couldn’t make up their mind weather or not they were a good thing or a bad thing. I read that they were included on some years/models and omitted on others because of heat problems (which caused belt failures). With my USA QV, the forward exhaust manifold runs directly under the timing gears, and I could see how excessive heat could be trapped with back covers installed. Looking at my main (front) covers, there are threaded holes for a rear cover to be mounted, yet most all of them are filled with some type of epoxy. I am not sure if this was done by a previous owner, or if it was something Ferrari did (when they decided not to run with the rears) but they can easily be cleaned out. Any suggestions on the rear covers? I am curious to hear who is and is not using them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    That reminds of the most frequently uttered response from patients when their Proctologist asks, "Why did you put this in there?" --- The answer is always, "No really, I fell on it... I tell you it was a million-to-one shot, Doc!". :p

Although obviously unlucky, that token is magical, Kevin. If I were you, I would have it encased in Lucite, and display it on your desk --- it's just too crazy not to laugh at from time to time...

What's even more nuts than the idea it even happened, is that you actually found the thing afterwards!!!

Glad you can get some sleep now... The back covers are irrelevant for you --- you've already had your lightning strike... Don't worry about it. :)

7. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    like . . ..... WOW . . .I'm buying or making rear belt covers :)

8. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    FIRST OF ALL... OH MY GAWD!!!! WOW WHAT A FIND!!! Ever since I first read this thread I have been thinking about it. And for how things to have progressed this far and to have a solution is remarkable. I for one thought that the theory of a circular foreign object was crap, but I was obviously wrong. I still am dumbfounded as to how a moving belt wouldd have the exact shape and pattern as a stationary object! Others here are wiser than me!

Anyways. I've also been thinking about the cover issue. Would it be silly to get a guard and drill holes in it so it vents any heat? That way, it would keep out foreign objects and it would let the heat escape. I hope this is not an idiotic suggestion... Oh well, I am sure all of you will let me know what a fool I am!

9. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    probably should start a new thread on this, but I thought of maybe making some new covers for the SMG2's adjustable pullies instead of carving up an old set . .. the last used set I bought weren't that spendy but I just hate cutting up castings.

Did the 2v ever have rear covers from the factory?

With the factory covers is it only the top that's covered or are the drive pulleys covered below?

Drilled holes is good . .. or my favorite . .. louvers :).

Thanks,

Sean

10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WOW!!! Talk about a 1 in a gazillion freak event (or series of events....) I too now feel
    much better about 'random failures' of belts in my 328

By the way - do 328s ('86) have rear belt covers?

Great CSI work!

Jedi

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    WOW!!! THAT IS FANTASTIC NEWS FOR YOU!!!!

This now qualifies for coverage under your auto insurance!!!! This is a road hazard!!! Same as driving over a rock, that takes out your oil pan!!!!!!!!!

Safeguard that coin, get some mechanics to verify that it was a road hazard, and you get a free (minus deductible) engine rebuild!!!!

Am I the only one that recognizes this fantastic twist of events!!!!

Wooohooooooo!!!!!!

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That is an incredible story. Such an occurance is SO unlikely to be repeated that I would hardly give a second thought to getting belt covers. Such an unlucky stroke probably deserves the 'flipside' to its coin......

....go buy a lottery ticket!

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You beat me to the punch.

I would suggest he calls his Insurance company in the morning and push for the claim.........and then he should buy a lottery ticket ;)

This is excellent news !!

14. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I had a 1/4" rock go in one of my 308 belts and poke a hole in it . .. you mean unlikely 'cause it's a coin?

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    D*m, Kevin, talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Who'd of thought of a frigging NH toll token taking out a ferrari engine! Does indeed fit all the facts! Those tokens were a PITA to everyone driving thru NH, & now one comes back to destroy Adaptel's meticulously rebuilt engine!

I've got a '85 308 that I'll be doing body restoration work & a full major on next winter. It doesn't have the rear belt covers. Fer shure, I'll be making rear belt covers it!!!

Hm, think I'll use black powdercoated perforated steel. Comes with round, hex, & diamond shaped holes, in various sizes. McMaster-Carr has a good selection, go to:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/
    & type 'perforated steel' into the search box.

It provides ventilation, and will exclude all objects large enough to cause problems.

I especially like # 9358T371 it's got 1/4" holes & 11 gauge steel, s/b heavy enough not to vibrate/rattle & 1/4" holes on 3/8" centers will, on the average, keep much smaller objects out, while providing excellent ventilation.

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1

What is most amazing to me, is the coin was somehow retained in the engine compartment. I would have figured it did it's damage and dropped back on the ground...

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Since you've got the cast-in bosses on the timing belt covers (that you could drill & tap), that certainly gives you a better option to add some sort of flat back protection covers. Like Verell's idea for the perforated material if temperature is an issue -- even if something gets thru most likely would just poke a small hole (rather than sever the belt) as luckydynes observed.

Don't have access to the US 308i-2V SPC, but no flat back covers (nor bosses on the timing belt covers) shown on US/euro carbed 308 nor euro 308i-2V.

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Well, I hope so...

But, most road hazard scenarios are more definitive to substantiate a claim. I mean this scenario certainly has logic (and is most certainly what happened). But, it is not without alternate scenarios --- belts break all the time without objects (from the road) getting tossed into their works.

If you have a very good relationship with your insurance agent, he might let this slide... But, of course the motto of every insurance company out there is --- "Collect premiums, deny claims".

You may have to go to the mat to get this one to go your way.

19. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Wow! I think I now have seen everything...

20. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    FWIW, the front belt cover castings on my '81 US-spec 2Vi have no bosses whatsoever --- so clearly never intended to have back covers from the factory. Of course, back covers could always be rigged --- even if one had to use clips instead of screws to hold them in place.

If someone wishes to add back covers, I wouldn't let the configuration of the castings stop them!!

I'm going to take the risk and keep mine open (no back covers) --- I like having the ability to get frequent and easy visual inspection of the works and the belts.

But hey, that's just me. :)

21. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Who'd have thought?

I've seen engines rebuilt by insurance with less evidence.

Definitely worth running it up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes ;)

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That is amazing! I guess it puts all the naysayers and speculation to rest doesn't it.

23. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Why not a SS screen as protection? Should be easy to fabricate and won't cause any heat issues...just make sure it's cleaned every so often.

24. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

New project for your product line I hope!

25. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

According to my parts manual U.S. spec. 328's came with rear covers and Euros did not. This has always made me believe that there was some safety law/regulation for the U.S. market that dictated they must be fully covered... you know, like the B.S. "Objects in the mirror are closed than they appear" type stuff. Not saying the covers are not a good idea. Clearly they are if overheating is not an issue. Just wonder why they were installed for the U.S. market unless Ferrari figured everybody in the U.S. is driving on gravel roads.