Is this a 250 California Spyder? | FerrariChat

Is this a 250 California Spyder?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Petervisor, Jun 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petervisor

Petervisor Rookie

Jun 24, 2007
    I posted this question on *********** forums, but no one has stuck their neck out and posted a reply. So let me ask the same question here:

Last year I saw this car in Sausalito. I've been told it's a fake. I'm not familiar with such rare cars. Can some one tell me how to spot the real thing?

http://crunch22.blogspot.com/2006/06...ia-spyder.html

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    "page not found"

3. Petervisor

Petervisor Rookie

Jun 24, 2007
  4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I believe it is a repro. It looks like one of the Ferris Bueler (sp?) cars.

Regards,

Art S.

5. Petervisor

Petervisor Rookie

Jun 24, 2007
    Thanks Art S.

Anyone else?

When I first looked at this car, over a year ago, I noticed the tail lights looked like those on an MGB,Midget,Austin 1100/Austin America. It said "Made in England" on the lens. I thought it was possible that Ferrari used tail lights made in England. But now I wonder.

Is it possible that Austin/Morris/MG/BMC/Leyland copied the Ferrari tail light design, and this is a replica 250 California Spyder made from an MGB? (Ferris Bueller style?)

Anyway, I'd like to know the truth. I don't like to think I've been fooled by a fake!

Cheers,
    Peter

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It's a fake. The taillights, dash, gauges, pedals, shifter, transmission tunnel, steering wheel/column, door panels, side windows, windshield, fuel filler, etc., are all incorrect.

Brian B.

7. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    it sits too high, i am not sure about the fender flares and the taillights are mg.

Tom w

8. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
  9. Petervisor

Petervisor Rookie

Jun 24, 2007
    Thanks everyone.

The windscreen and doors look like they might be from a Fiat 124 Spyder.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  11. Petervisor

Petervisor Rookie

Jun 24, 2007
    Not a joke, Pete. I was told the car was a real 250 California Spyder, and not being familiar with exotic cars, I didn't know any better. So I came to FerrariChat to learn the truth.

A few weeks after seeing the car for the first time, I saw the engine wrapped in plastic (the one you link to). The Mechanic told me the engine in the photo was from the Spyder, and that it had overheated. He'd given the insides of the engine a "chemical bath" to free it up (I'm obviously not a mechanic, and I don't know if that's how they do things).

Pete, have I been feed a line of BS? We've established that the car I saw is not a Ferrari. What then is the engine?

Cheers,
    Peter

12. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Based on the pictures, I'd guess it's a rebody of a later model Ferrari. Gauges, other trim pieces are from a newer model. Motor is a Ferrari motor, but looks larger than a 250. I'd guess that this is a rebody of a 330 or 365 2+2. But it's just a guess. Overheating clue makes me think it's a 365 motor.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    This is a "Ferrari Bueller" a.k.a. Modena-replica of a California spider. One of only a handful using a Ferrari chassis and/or engine. This one was built upon GT/E #3321.

If it was mine, I would scrap the body without blinking an eye.

If you can go back, you will find serial number stamped on frame near driver side front wheel (if they used a Ferrari frame) and on left rear corner of the engine.

14. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    If a fake is done properly there is no way to spot it! If someone discovers a chassis number that has been lost for some years and then comes up with a plausible story about the car's discovery he can get away with it. It's easier than forging old paintings as if the car is presented in restored condition the faker doesn't have to go to the trouble of replicating the patina of age. Even the so called numero internos can be apparently correct.
    In practice nobody goes to the ultimate trouble of 100% accurate reproduction unless the car is worth big money.

15. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I have yet to see a fake that has been done properly. It is almost impossible to replicate every exact detail from when the cars were built in the '50-'60s. For example, when Gilco welded the frames, they were stick welded, but most copiers use MIG or TIG welders. It is a lost art to be able to stick weld thin brackets and sheetmetal well.

16. Petervisor

Petervisor Rookie

Jun 24, 2007
    Thank you to everyone who gave their opinion of this car! I know it's not easy to stick your neck out and risk getting shot down.

From all the information given, I conclude that this is a reproduction using various Farrari and non-Ferrari parts.

Cheers,
    Peter

17. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    Hey tasman:

Mind explaining the comment regarding how the numero interno can be convincingly faked? I actually have some first hand exposure to this touchy area, and am mighty interested in your answer.

Since the spot on the block skirt where the numero interno is stamped is an area of the raw sand casting, I'm interested to know how the original number could be obliterated, a new one substituted, and the original texture, contour, etc. could be made to look undisturbed.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just cast a new block ... that was how the numbers were originally made and thus can be remade.

Pete

19. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Any really good faker will do the welding as per original, believe me it's not a lost art, just less people do it.

20. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Apart from recasting which is a possibility if the value warrants the expense, blasting a groung surface with the right grade and type of abrasive can look very convincing. If the grinding creates an obvious depression weld can be added first.

21. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The recast blocks do not look like the originals. It is pretty easy to spot one.

It is next to impossible to create a casting that has the exact dimensions and surface finish as the originals, then stamp it with the correct font and size number stamps (which would have to be made, as you can't just buy them), get the spacing, location and depth of the stamp correct, and then and 40-50 years of scars and patina, not to mention effects of corrosion inside water passages.