Texas Track & Concorso photos | FerrariChat

Texas Track & Concorso photos

Discussion in 'Texas' started by WJHMH, Oct 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Here are my photos for everyone to enjoy. Big thanks to the good folks of Lamborghini of Dallas & Texas Drivers Magazine for haviong this event. I got to meet some really great people today & see some friends I haven't seen in a while. btw, there was a sweet 275 GTB LWB that showed up but I didn't have my camera with me at the time. One funny thing were these two DPS troopers that showed up & were walking around, I heard one of the Officers say "look all these sports cars with not front plates." I've got to say it was a mixed reaction from the owners within earshot.

2. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    more photos.

3. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster make it's North Texas debute. Sweetness! (Also for some reason I have the new U2 song drilled into my head.)

4. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Other event shots, track, etc....

5. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    #5 Lloyd, Oct 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Oh man, that guy flying the plane just helped me decide how I will know I have "Arrived."

When I hop into my plane at the local Muni in the morning, fly to MSR, warm up my Ferrari, drive 30 hot laps, eat lunch, clean the car, and hop back in the plane to fly back home in the afternoon.

The infamous chicken-egg conundrum: Private pilot lessons first, or a 328?

7. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great photos!! I wish I was there....but I had work!! :(

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    328. I can't believe you had to ask.

9. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Man, I want that Noble bad. That's a serious machine, a track killer. Can't wait until the M14 comes out, it looks much better.

10. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    What an incredible event. I wish I could have been there. What were your impressions of the Noble (besides your "fast and solid" quote)? Any consideration of buying one?

Thank you all for your pictures. You are kind enough to share the wealth with those who had the unfortunate event of not being there. Thanx again. You guys are the greatest.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What was that plane doing? Just a touch and go or did he land?

12. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Oh! Will, you took a lot of great pics (including my rear & 355's preface). I wish it was another way around.

Even though I couldn't get to the open lap due to the rain, it was a good beginner's experience.

Thanks for posting great pics of cars.

Phil looked great on the track, BTW. Thanks for leading me there, Phil!

13. TWOFST

TWOFST Rookie

Jan 18, 2004
    It was an amazing day at the track yesterday. Here is a link to my pictures of the event. It's located here, http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2662445093, you will have to register if you are not a member yet of imagestation, sorry. Join here: http://www.imagestation.com/member/join.html

By the way Yoshi, if you would have waited about 30 mins. they let us back on the track later on for about 20 mins. for the open track session.

I passed a couple of cars during our run, then the black GT2 went flying pass me on the straight-a-way right after the rattlesnake section of the track to bring me back to earth. What a rush and a great day at the track!

14. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The plane was taking off at the end of the day, if was amazing on how short of an area it needed to get lift. It belonged to a Cessna dealer that had it on display in the garage area.

Opps! Seems I got a shot of Yoshi's "wiskey dent." Sorry about that.

About the last photo I posted. At days end the first run group of the drivers got caught in a the rain, you can you see the silver Gallardo working it's AWD magic on snakebend with another car. A very close call.

15. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    He had 1/4 tanks and was the only person on board. So take off run was 1200' which he more or less accomplished.

Burned out my brakes in the TR wrestling it around again. Any suggestions as to vendors. Tried all the sponsor we sites but they only do newby cars?

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Are you sure you tried http://www.************?

At minimum they'll be able to rig a custom setup. 2nd I would try Norwoods as they've done many TR turbos and many of those owners wanted to stop now and then too.

17. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Thanks Texas Driver Magazine and Motorsport Ranch for a great day at the track. The instruction was great, and the lead and follows much quicker and more fun than I anticipated. Second time through, Smitty got video of me almost losing it on cold tires, and 3 complete laps around. Not digital so I can't post, but will really help me remember the track.
    Sorry Yoshi got caught in the rain with the second group. Nuerces, and instructor, rode with me for 6 laps in my open session, and was a great help, coaxing me to hit those curbs and power power power out of them. He had the helmet mikes that made his cues easy to hear.
    Bummer for Denis Boulle with his rolled under tire smacking his rear quarter. At least he got to chopper in and out back to Big D. Tomlin Racing also had quite a spread of open wheel Mazda Pro Series, Murci and 550 under their big awning. The car show was great as well.
    It was a great first taste of a track I hope to get many laps on. Thanks to everyone involved. Here are a few of my pics.

18. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I tried giro first but to no avail. Found something at Porterfield although there is some confusion about the wear sensors, which I will figure out as soon as I can get the old ones out. I need a smaller punch to remove the pins.

19. copter

copter Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Marc Paganini
    I hope you had a chance to look at the helicopters on the track. You are right Denis made it to the track by helicopter.
    I brought 2 of them but I did not have a chance to bring my 348 to the track.
    However I had good time driving my formula Mazda on the track together with Denis De Boulle.
    The silver lambo was fun to drive but it is too civilized I guess compared to a 348.
    I am unfortunately not able to participate into your events and gathering , I wish I could, but I can tell you that I am as much a fan of Ferrari as you are
    Copter

20. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin

Let’s see, where to start. The car itself looked well put together and did not have the appearance of a kit car. It was my memory that the car had no storage space to speak of, but quite frankly this was not an interest to me. The interior of the car looked very good and the seating position was good for me. They have a couple of seating options, with one be wider than the other and they also have a tall man seat arrangement. The car I drove had the not so wide seats which fit me just fine and I have a 38 inch waste. It was not a tall man seat and I am 6 foot and felt fine in it. However, there is one major thing you would want to consider in picking a seat. Using the regular seat and being six feet tall, my head was high enough that if thrown to the side the top of my head could hit the bottom of the roll bar that ran along the top of the door. It is my understanding that this is not a good thing if you are not wearing a helmet. The roll bar was covered in Alcantra and it disappeared from view as a result. The only thing in the interior that I can remember which seemed a little cheap was the weird mounting of an interior light in a small box which stuck out between the seats. The only issue I noted with the body was that the doors seemed to shut a little oddly as if when they mated with the latch the door rose up slightly. They did not rattle however.

When we first took the car out I was in the passenger seat. The sense of speed was incredible. The Noble driver pulled the car onto a two lane highway and then within a thousand feet or so pulled off into a small two lane road. He made the almost 90 degree turn at a significant speed and at this location the road surface was very rough asphalt. The car went over this while turning without bouncing out of line and I did not feel any significant jarring. Both the suspension and acceleration were as good as anything I have experienced.

He eventually turned the car around and stopped it and let me drive. It had just started to drizzle and the road had many hills and blind corners so I was very restrained. The gearbox was interesting. It had a short throw without a great deal of feel for the difference between first and third. I initially started in third and with this motor it was no problem. I think one would get familiar with the shifter in short order. The shifter uses a cable to connect to the gearbox. How this will hold up in the long run is something that someone else would have to address. The accelerator pedal had a great deal of travel and it was easy to modulate. It was not an on off switch. The clutch was also easy to modulate and much easier than the last Porsche Turbo that I drove. The clutch was more like my 512TR. You should note that others have made note that the positioning of the accelerator pedal and brake makes heal-to-toe operations difficult. I did not attempt this and cannot give you an opinion in this regard. The engine sound was fun, with a lot of interesting turbo sounds, but does not compare with the Ferrari 12.

Overall- I would recommend this car for someone looking for a fast car to drive on the street and track. It has the drivability of a daily driver, but the absence of any storage may make that impractical. It appears to be a car that you can drive fast without feeling that it is going to bite you. My biggest issue would be how long will both the body and the turbo charged Ford engine hold up in the long term. (however, when you consider the cost of a few belt replacements on a Ferrari, you could probably replace the whole motor on the Noble) I really enjoyed the car and would love having one, but if I had to replace my 512TR to fit a Noble in the garage, the Ferrari would win out for me.

21. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Great photos. Looks like it was a great event. Originally, I was supposed to be there, as an instructor, but something else came up & I was not able to do so. I regret this!!!

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Are you the guy we met at karting several months back from Eurocopter?

23. copter

copter Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Marc Paganini
    dear Rob,
    Yes I am the one from Eurocopter you met at the karting ,
    I have been traveling a lot and I had not a chance to participate again in one of your event.
    I will try to do one again

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    No wonder you were so good at karting with the FM experience. Too bad TBC closed down, although we got contacted by a real karting place NW of FW that will rent us REAL karts on an oval track. We'll look into that for next year. Hope to see you out again.

25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    NW of FW? Isn't that New Mexico?