Belgian GP Spa-Francorchamps 2004 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Belgian GP Spa-Francorchamps 2004

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bertus, Aug 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    For the race, I repeat, well done Sauber! :)

2. etomcat

etomcat Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Hungary
    Full Name:
    Tamas Feher
    >ferrari is just too dominate these days...

Ferrari cars finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the race in Belgium 2004 GP.

For the remaining four races this year, Ferrari cars will be allowed to drive on the track in reverse gear only.

Next year Ferrari cars will have to use V12 engines and diesel fuel.

Two years from now, Ferrari will have to use 12V engines (I mean battery powered).

In the third year, Ferrari cars will have to be two-seater pedal cars, MS drives while Armstrong powers the vehicle.

In the fourth year, a Ferrari car will have to tow a Minardi for the whole lenght of the races as a handicap method.

In the fifth year, MS and RB will have to carry their Ferrari cars on their backs , running merry-go-round the track for a full 300km, all this while towing Minardis with a rope wrapped around their waists.

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess

SHHHHHHHHHH Dont give Berni and Max any ideas. :D

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I laughed when I saw the JPM bashing begin in this thread. It's inevitable, itsn't it? His move on Schumi was great. The one on Trulli was a bad decision, but it also needs to be mentioned that Trulli was experiencing problems with his car, and was in fact holding Montoya up significantly. You know he was frustrated, and if the move worked on the World Champion, why not on Trulli?

5. Maseroche

Maseroche Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Khalid
    I agree that Montoya made a great move against Schumacher but misjudged Trulli's line. Also it's really hard to see what's behind you and how far is he in these cars so Trulli might not have seen Montoya doing his move, even though knowing Montoya, Trulli should have anticipated the pass. He should have just let him get by becuase Trulli had a few problems with the car anyway.

6. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    i want to see this guy from britian who said if Mercedes won he would run around a track naked, the press should have fun with that.

Im happy that Mercedes won a race, they had to put up with alot of fecal matter this year and this should really help the team. (go ahead bash me all u want).

7. Bel360

Bel360 Karting

Nov 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
  8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I agree with you. Montoya had all four wheels on the kerbs/grass when Trulli steered right and kept steering right. JPM had nowhere to go. I don't know whose fault it is, but it certainly wasn't JPM's.

9. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    #59 axemansean, Aug 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I heard that Ferrari were working on a prototype 3 seater for MS so he could drive his kids around at the races. It shall be kind of like the Arrows, except red and also the kids will have the controls and MS will have a nice newspaper to read.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Best race I'v seen in a while!!!!

I'm happy that MS is world champion again. If KR hadn't passed MS at the beginning it could have been a different scenario. Well done Kimi!
    JPM's move on MS was BRILLIANT put on JT it wasn't. Did you guys saw when JPM was returning to the track after his 1st pit stop, he was side by side with Massa. It was dangerous but I'm glad that Massa challenged him.

I was very upset when Fisi went into the grass at midway (he lost some pieces of his car). After that he wasn't running fast and I'm sure that cost him 3rd or 4th place.

11. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    #61 Bertus, Aug 29, 2004
    What a great race !! :D

Congratulations for MS winning his 7th World title !

I was really hoping for a wet race, but even in dry conditions it turned out to be a very spectacular race.

I will post now some pics from the qualification session on saturday.
    I was just in front of the Ferrari pitbox, so i had a great view on the starting grid and the entrance of La source.

12. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Great pics Bert! And it was an exiting race indeed!

Congrats on the World Championship title 2004 to MS and the whole team... they didn't win the race but both drivers and the rest of the team did a great job!

Now let's hope it wasn't the last Belgian Grand Prix at this wonderful track in our little Belgium! Formula One really needs Spa-Francorchamps IMO!

13. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    #64 Bertus, Aug 29, 2004
  14. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    Alx, i think the Belgian GP is confirmed for the next 10 years or so, so we're pretty safe even with the tobacco ban after 2006.

15. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Yes, I know it's confirmed :D but like I said before; you never know in Belgium/Francorchamps... it's the same as with rain ;) in this country, things can change very soon and you're often have no idea what you're gonna get... ;);)

But let's hope Formula One will return to Belgium many times in the future!

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sorry, but those 6 runners were never going to challenge Kimi. Kimi was on fire all weekend and atleast his McLaren held together to give him a very deserving weekend. The 6 cars that went out were also rans ... even RB who had to pit to get a new rear wing ;) (Webers silly mistake!)

Kimi did not hold MS up at any time and simply drove away from him ... and even after 2 (or 3) safety car periods allowed MS (and RB) to close up again on Kimi ... Kimi again drove away, and broke the lap record on the 2nd to last lap!

The guy is awesome and definitely will piss all over RB once MS retires!

Now if only Mercedes and McLaren and also Michelin can pull their heads right out of their arses and build a decent car that can actually stay together next year will be fantastic and we will have some challenge to Ferrari again ... :D :D :D. Please note: I am not saying I want Ferrari beaten next year, just want a really HARD challenge and may the best driver/team combination win!

I must say if I was JT I would be talking real hard to Kimi and looking to replace RB.

Interestingly did you hear Brundle talk about Ross Brawns interview regarding who will replace MS. Basically he stated that RB was worthy, but they really had their eye on Kimi and Alonso. So even the Ferrari team believe as I do (and many others) that RB does not really have it in him. If they really believed RB was WC material, Ross would not even have discussed Kimi and Alonso.

Anyway great race and Ferrari beaten fair and square for the first time this year! ... but I guess MS was driving for points more than a win (?).

Pete

17. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    Just for the record, the final results

1. Kimi Raikkonen FIN McLaren-Mercedes 32:35.274
    2. Michael Schumacher D Ferrari 3.132
    3. Rubens Barrichello BR Ferrari 4.371
    4. Felipe Massa BR Sauber-Petronas 12.504
    5. Giancarlo Fisichella I Sauber-Petronas 14.104
    6. Christian Klien A Jaguar 14.614
    7. David Coulthard GB McLaren-Mercedes 17.970
    8. Olivier Panis F Toyota 18.693
    9. Jarno Trulli I Renault 22.115
    10. Ricardo Zonta BR Toyota -3 laps Engine
    11. Nick Heidfeld D Jordan-Ford -4 laps

DNF Juan Pablo Montoya COL Williams-BMW on lap 38 Puncture
    DNF Antonio Pizzonia BR Williams-BMW on lap 32 Gearbox
    DNF Jenson Button GB BAR-Honda on lap 30 Puncture
    DNF Zsolt Baumgartner H Minardi-Cosworth on lap 29 Accident
    DNF Fernando Alonso E Renault on lap 12 Spun
    DNF Mark Webber AUS Jaguar on lap 1 Accident
    DNF Takuma Sato J BAR-Honda on lap 1 Accident
    DNF Gianmaria Bruni I Minardi-Cosworth on lap 1 Accident
    DNF Giorgio Pantano I Jordan-Ford on lap 1 Accident

18. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Initiating the pass on both Schumi and Trulli were good decisions. In both cases, he had a reasonable shot. In both cases, he took a great line through the first corner (the left-hander). In one case, he managed to get up even with the car he was passing before the turn-in point for the second corner (the right-hander). In that case, the corner was his and it would be the OTHER guy's fault (Schumi's fault) if there was a collision... the OTHER guy needed to brake, and abort the turn-in.

HOWEVER, in the second case, he did NOT get even with the other car prior to turn-in... in fact, his front wheels were not even up to the driver. In that case, the corner was not his, and he should EXPECT the other driver to take his normal line... meaning, he should BRAKE and ABORT the pass. But JPM just kept coming and turned through the grass... as if he'd be able to hold his line with no pavement... at that point, its too late for him to do anything but barrel through the corner and T-bone Trulli.

JPM's trying to pass there was NOT a mistake... that was great! His mistake was not aborting the pass when he got to the turn-in and had not gotten up even with the car he was passing... or at least his front tires in front of the driver... at that point, he should have braked (while still on pavement and in control of his car). That's Racing 101... and that's why he gets so much flack here... he never yields when he fails to make a clean pass... once he decides to TRY a pass he just goes and goes... has no clue that real drivers sometimes ABORT passes.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The pass on Michael was great, but on Trulli just showed what an idiot Montoya is. Montoya barely had a nose on him, much less being along side him to warrant "racing room".

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hmm, what broadcast were you watching? Maybe David made this comment at the end of the race when I wasn't watching, but right after it happened all the Speed TV broadcasters thought Montoya was in error. Montoya's nose was not on Trulli's front, it was off the back thus proved by the impact point when Trulli rightfully took the corner. Ask thousands of racers and very few would be in agreement with you. I would hate to see F1 turn into NASCAR where you can wreck someone from the back whenever you want. How skillful is that!?!

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    He is good for F1, but doesn't mean I have to like him. I like how he races 95% of the time. The other 5% he's an idiot, by the time you're in F1 you should only allowed to make mistakes and be an idiot 1% of the time. :) Why I don't like him as a person is his behavior once his helmet is off. Nothing more than a spoiled rich kid cry baby that pouts when something doesn't go his way.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Professional and good racers should never have to use a rear view mirror. There is absolutely no reason to have a rear view mirror when racing a car.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Because that was post impact! Juan should have backed off because Trulli had the line and there would have been no reason to go off.

24. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    The time it took those Bridgestones to get up to speed really hurt Schumi in the end. During one of the safety car sessions, the pressure was so low that it looked like the left front tyre was going to fall off the rim!

It was amusing watching Kimi trying to stuff up Michael's restart after the SC; at one point he must have been going at about 30kmph. :)

And what about Coulthard's performance? First his tyre explodes, then he struggles back to the pits, coming out onto the track in last place. Then his front wing shatters, flies up into the air, removes the camera and smacks against the rear wing. The car goes out of control onto the grass at 180mph, misses the wall by a few centimetres, he regains control, pits and continues the race into the points! Amazing! :D