Aftermarket 308 fuse box? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Aftermarket 308 fuse box?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Jun 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Great conversion. It works great. Fairly easy and very cost effective. I love it when upgrades like this come up.

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well, I made my two fuseboxes. No problem. They came out great. I can hardly wait to put them in tomorrow. The hardest thing to find was the "splitters" so I can plug two devices to each fuse. It took a couple auto parts places before I found them.

I decided to solder a 12 guage "bus bar" across the terminals that needed it to reduce the number of mechanical connections (jumpers). The reduces possible failure points. Those new fuse blocks hold the fuses really tightly. It's great. The fuse pops in there with a nice reassuring "snap" and they are not going to give me problems anymore!!

I'lll post some pics later.

This makes me think. If there are others out there that are looking to do this mod but don't want to make the fuseboxes, drop me a line. I can mass produce these babies pretty easily now that I have made a template for drilling the aluminum mounting plate, bought the right sized rivets and riveter, etc. All I would need to do is stock up on more raw parts and set up a little production line. It would be "plug and play". Just pull the old boxes, plug the wires into these and screw them back down. About 5 minutes total installation.

Birdman

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well, I installed my new fuseboxes and everything works. One word of warning...the new ones end up being thinner than the old ones and the mounting screws will protrude out the back of the panel. I accidentally pinched a wire with the screw sticking out the back and shorted my headlight control circuit. If you do this mod, get shorter mounting screws!

Otherwise, it was a no brainer and everything works fine (as one would expect).

Rather than use jumpers for the busses, I soldered 12 guage solid wire (from Romex cable) across the back of the leads. This is a lot less prone to issues than jumpers and adapters. I did use the splitter adapters on the post-fuse side of the circuit though.

Birdman

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I supposed you could use a slightly thicker piece of aluminum bar stock for mounting, but shorter mounting screws certainly takes care of the problem too. I do like your "buss-bar" solution rather than dealing with jumpers.

BTW, I was going to make a set for my 308QV in the next couple of weeks, but since you already have experience and the templates and have made the offer, I'm interested! Did you put any extra fuse circuits on yours for later add-ons?

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Mike,
    No I didn't put any other fuses in there because if you do, they won't fit!! (Actually, you might be able to squeeze one more in there, but check out this shot of the boxes installed and you will see what I mean).

Birdman

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Congrats Birdman!!!!!! Can;t wait to see the car and all the GREAT work you have been doing.

See you on July 17th for my Bday party?

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    OK, Iv'e looked at every parts store, radio shack and hardware store within a 50 mile radius and nobody seems to carry the little splitter adapters I need to finish this project. I am going to solder the "jumpers" rather than use the splitters, but on about half of my fuses there are already two leads on the outlet side so I still need these little Bas***ds.

Can anyone find a part number for the ones you have?

Thanks!!

John

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    These should not be that hard to find. I thought that it would be, and now I run into them in every parts store I go in to.

They're in a little ghetto package typically, by the wires / relays / electrical tape / fuses section of most auto parts stores. Try Checkers, Napa, Autozone, Pep Boys? I've confirmed they've got them at both Pep Boys and Checkers...

--Mike

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I found mine in Auto Zone in the electrical section. (3rd isle in my local store)

10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been to Schuck's (same as Checker/Kragen), two different NAPAs, a local place West-bay, Auto-zone, and Radio Shack. Radio Shack and Schucks had one pack each of an assortment that only had two of the kind I need. I can't believe they're this hard to find. I guess I'll keep looking!
    Thanks,
    John

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, I had to buy six packs of assorted adapters at three different stores but I finally got enough and this job is done. Seems like everything works a little better now. My windows quit working on the way home the other day and now they both work great (still slow but that's another project)! My intermittent (which they aren't supposed to be) wipers now work.

Ha Ha Ha, The score...

Ferrari 0
    Me 1

Now I just wish the weather was better so I could take it out for a run!!

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #38 Mike C, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    FYI, 17 years later and I have not been in the fusebox yet. That's a total of 22 years since soldering the rivets.