85 308 QV Battery will not charge - can this cause no spark? | FerrariChat

85 308 QV Battery will not charge - can this cause no spark?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LSU348, Jul 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Ferrari fans,

I have a battery that will not take a charge in my 308. The charger hits 6 amps and stays there. I charged it for 45 minutes while I changed the plugs and it did not budge off of 6 amps. The engine still turns over fine. I pulled plug 4 and checked for spark and saw none.

I have read a boat load of threads stating the issue is likely my battery. It will get swapped out tomorrow.

My question is, how the heck can the battery turnover the engine (strongly) and not have sufficient voltage to get spark (or power the FI system). Is there some magic breakover voltage for the FI and ignition system?

On a side note, changinh the plugs was not as bad as I expected on the back bank. A UV socket joint between the plug socket and a short extension makes life very easy as far as getting the plug out after you loosen it.

Forgot to mention - starter spins the motor but it does not fire (or sputter...nothing) it just turns.

Thanks for any opinions.

2. Vyrus

Vyrus Rookie

Jul 15, 2004
    Suffolk, Va
    Full Name:
    Cyrus Mistry
    Once your motor is running, your alternator supplies a constant current to the battery. This is sufficient to cause spark. If fact, you can remove a battery from some running cars and they will continue to run perfectly.

However are you sure your plug is not firing? A misfire is normally quite obvious as the engine will sound abnormal and possible idle rougher.

Considering you have read information regarding this and your battery is dead, hopefully your problem will be solved with a new battery. Good luck and please share insight on how this could cause the problem!
    -Cyrus

3. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I pulled a plug and hooked it to the boot, grounded it and had the wife turn the car over. No spark.

Will update tomorrow after a fresh bettery is installed. Probably going for an optima or other spiral wound.

4. Vyrus

Vyrus Rookie

Jul 15, 2004
    Suffolk, Va
    Full Name:
    Cyrus Mistry
    Excellent choice in battery. I have one installed in my vehicle and could not be happier. 3 year free replacement, 7 year pro-rate, full sealed, dry-cell battery for >$130? Can't beat it!
    -Cyrus

5. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    New battery installed today. The old one (a Champion) tested as bad. I put an Optima Red Top in it. The starter spins the motor but she will not fire.

This is an 85 QV. Dual ignition, distributors, etc etc. I am starting to worry about my alarm system. I know if I turn it on the starter will not engage. However, it may have a power cutoff line for the ignition. Any help on how to diagnose this? I never use the $#%#$% alarm, I probably need to remove it.

I am now into an area I know little about, ignitions, coils etc. I know I have fuel. I do not have spark on either bank.

Any clues?

Synopsis of probolem:

Car sat for 1.5 weeks - ran superb last time.
    Tried to start it and starter turns over motor but will not fire.
    Changed plugs to see if they were fouled. No luck.
    Checked for spark - no spark.
    Cycled alarm on and off a few times. Still no luck.
    Tried to charge battery, would not charge, tested and found bad.
    Replaced with optima red top.
    Still will not start.
    Still no spark.
    Mechanic is out of town :p
    Right foot in withdrawel.

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Electrical problems can be soved by deduction. Since you have no spark on either side, the problem is most likely between the battery and the coils. Did you check your coil wires? When your battery went dead, it could have tripped something in your alarm. Some of them have two cutoffs. As you mentioned, you might just take it out to see if that's what's causing the problem. I'd start there.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    most Clifford, Viper ect alarms i have had require you to hold the #1 button on the remote after a battery change, the alarm will go off or chirp, then" disarm" the alarm and see if it will start normally. talk to a local alarm installer about your alarm and see if you get order or download a manual for it, this may help you later since most alarm manuals have a wire diagram with the color code for what goes where and what does .... " what ". best wishes!
    michael

oh yea a bad battery with low or too high a voltage can really screw up an alarm system and some highend stereo componets, its also not good for a computer controlled car either!!! dont ask me how i know!

8. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm going to go try the hold the button for a little while method on the alarm and give that a go. Will also check the coil wires per above. I am having a heck of a time looking for one fault that can cause this problem.

My brain hurts.

And low/high voltage around tweaky electronics can cause lovely current flows through transistors not designed to take it...what a lovely smell burnt PCBs make in the morning.

9. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My alarm is a viper. Hold the remote for 1 second or so and it gets very upset. I think that is panic mode because it paniced. Man that SOB is loud in the garage.

No dice...still spins with no fire. Chased all the wires in the engine bay...everything is hooked up as far as I can tell.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mike -- Do you have a copy of the schematic from the 307/84 OM?

If you really have no spark on both banks, the only "shared" things that could simultaneously affect both banks seem to be the power signals and the RPM sensor -- i.e., the rest of it is two completely independent systems. If fate was against you, I guess you could have both ignition ECUs fail or something in each system simultaneously fail, but I'd work on verifying the shared things first (if you really have no spark on both banks during cranking -- are you really, really sure?).

To check the power
    Both coils will have two yellow (G) wires hooked to terminal 15 -- these lines should go +12V (relative to a chassis ground) during cranking.

To check the RPM sensor
    IIRC others have reported that (when unplugged) the dc resistance across the two wires coming from the RPM sensor should be something like 700~800 Ohm. Alternatively (even though a multi-meter is not an oscilloscope), you could try making an AC (and/or a DC) voltage measurement across the two terminals of the RPM sensor (when plugged in and starter cranking) to see if you can detect anything during cranking. If you get "nothing", try looking at TDC sensors too -- if on all three you get "nothing" then you can't be sure that you're really measuring anything, but if you get "something" on the TDC sensors and "nothing" on the RPM sensor that would be a pretty strong clue IMO.

Let the madness begin...

11. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will be having a look see at what you mentioned above. I have been looking for an excuse to buy an O-scope. I have missed having one since my Navy Electronics Technician (Nuke-ET) days.

12. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does anybody have a picture of a 308 MSD box on a 308 handy? Just got in touch with my mechanic (Michael Davis in North Houston/Spring - I am in line behind a gorgeous black Diablo) and he immediately suspects the MSD may be the culprit. I think I know where it is...just poking around for a pic now. Mike says it is on the firewall.

-Mike

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mike -- You didn't previously indicate that you had a modified ignition system on your QV so please disregard my previous post.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No offense but I had a lot of problems with my MSD, I think due to PO installation.

I threw it all away and went back stock. The tach works now! :)

15. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As far as I know mine is stock. your comment explains why I can't find it. I don't think there is one.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    "MSD" is usually translated as an aftermarket ignition box made specifically by the company MSD. If your system is "stock", you will have 2 ignition ECUs (one for each bank) which I think are in the rear trunk area on a 308QV -- wouldn't hurt to make sure they are dry, clean, reseat the connectors, etc..

17. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for answering one of my "I wonder what that is" questions and a "Boy I bet that is expensive" observation. I was chasing wires through that area looking for a short in the marker lights. It turned out to be the right rear. That was an easy fix.