Imola Racing and their fuel cooling | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Imola Racing and their fuel cooling

Discussion in '360/430' started by Brian C. Stradale, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Oh, I've also seen carbs covered with frost on alcohol burning motors...there is a lot of cooling going on when fuel turns to vapor.

2. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Decades ago I saw dragsters running their fuel line through a dry ice cooler can, and real improvements in elapsed times were gleaned.

Kind Regards, Chris

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    ummm.....I'm pretty sure the pro teams don't do it today....just the woodchucks....

I really think it might have more to do t=with the fuel hitting 215 F+ since it boils at about 280...that would be a real problem

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Got some info from Imola:

1. Weight
    The weight of the Fuel cooler is 5 kg
    The weight of the Cat heat shield is 1 kg

2. AC drag
    We did not measure how much additional drag the system does cause.

3. AC ability
    No negative influence on the AC ability in the interior of the car. We drove our F 360 Evoluzione during this very hot sommer in Europe for more than 20'000 km. AC is working perfectly.

4. Fuel cooler on/off
    The fuel cooler is directly linked to the AC. If AC is off fuel cooler is off, if AC is on fuel cooler is on.

5. Air Intake
    Our air intake is 3 kg lighter on the standard version. The race version (thinner carbon) safes you 8 kg compared to the original.

6. Distributor
    Actualy we are working with 2 companies on your market:

NGT Motorsport Inc.
    Miami / Florida
    Tel. 305 / 899 6999
    Fax. 305 / 893 9097
    Mister R. Wahab

P-Factor Automotive Group LLC
    Saddle Brook NY
    Tel. 201 / 723 2687
    Fax. 201 / 226 9147
    Mister Jim Q Pan

I have written the former... but can't find the latter on the Internet. I will try calling Monday.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Actually, it was DIMEX Automotive Group that responded.

And not only did they give me the answers above, they also gave me this sweet picture. Going out of the track here would be quite dramatic!

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Brian, Thank you. This is all very informative. Keep it coming. Did they give you any performance figures? Dyno charts?

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I checked all the part numbers and differences between the Stradale & Modena air intake system from “Suction Manifold Cover” to “Complete Grill” of the air inlet – here is the rundown of changes (did not list spacers&screws)

- Compensation Ducting Cover – SC has the Carbon version (I assume no impact; show only)
    - Air Flow Meter – since the spacers and sleeves in front/behind are the same parts I assume no change in diameter
    - Complete Filter Box – SC has Carbon version
    - Air Conveyor – the difference between the SC and Modena air ducting is that there is a little box around the holes to drain water from the ducting right at the inlet!!!!!! – if this makes a difference I am impressed

I did look at the air filter cover briefly when I changed filters – I assumed some of the changes in shape are more due to fabrication in Carbon, but I might be wrong – I’ll take a picture of the inside as soon as I can

8. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Attached is the Michelotto airbox – look at the air intake ducting size – the carbon airbox – the relocation of the stupid coolant expansion tank – ahhhhhhh – this is one nice executed design

I worry that the gold foil does not really protect the air box against heat as expected – I would go for a thin metal cover around the lower part of the airbox on spacers – I believe we are fighting convection heat in this case radiated from cat / exhaust pipes / engine – having a thin layer of air in-between would isolate better –see Imola design

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I did wonder when I looked at the design of the Michelotto airbox why they did no use the coolant tank space to increase the air filter box - here is my attempt to show what I mean

10. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Thomas,

What do you think about the foil insulation (don't know the proper name) that Ferrari uses in the engine compartment to prevent heat damage from the exhaust? I was thinking that if you affixed that material to the bottom and rear horizontal portion of the airbox it would prevent the temperature of the area near the cats from getting too hot, reducing much of the heat transfer. Or would it just not be enough?

Paul

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    yes - that would be the approach I would take - main thing is to have some air inbetween so that there is no surface contact - my assumption is that the heat shield does not reflect heat 100% - the absorbed heat should not find its way through contact into the air box - maybe someone knows better

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm a big fan of cool dense air & gas for reasons that have already been stated. On my road 512TR I removed the intake snorkels that start at the cheese graters, go over the rear wheels & end at the air filter boxes, so its about a 3 foot piece. After removing them I wrapped them up in heat reflective blanket then I removed the air delivery pipes under the engine manifold & wrapped them as well. I also had the air filter boxes painted with a heat reflective paint which looks good & does its job. I did a little wrapping ont the fuel system. Next time the engine is out I will wrap the gas tanks to keep engine heat away & probably the sump as well.

Ive seen noticable power increases & on the shock dyno, she registered at 460 engine hp

13. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Did you go after the sources of heat too?

I try to understand what the best way to approach this is. Looking at the two ways heat can be transferred:

- Conductive Heat--The direct flow through from hot to cold
    - Radiant Heat--Radiant heat is the flow of invisible infra-red rays emitting from the surface of an object, because of heat within it.

Although air is a bad heat conductor the equation changes with conductive heat

- Convective Heat--Convected heat flow is mostly upward somewhat sideways. Warm air expands, becomes less dense and rises. The constant flow brings cold air in contact with the heat source and warms it up.

I am therefore not sure if wrapping the air intake ducting alone adds much since I assume your are mainly fighting conductive/convective heat transfeer.

Radiant Heat can be shielded with the gold foil as in the Michelotto approach very effectively. However it will reflect and add to heat somewhere else.

It seems to me that the best way to reduce heat is
    - to wrap or coat the exhaust parts – big source of radiant heat – so that the heat goes out with the exhaust gas
    - wrap the air box with reflective foil to protect radiant heat transfer
    - stop convection heat flow through heat insulation (heat shields or wrapping)

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I addressed that issue also, I added an oil cooling fan behind the cooler. Ferrari decided the car didnt need it but the oil would get close to 270 F after only 4 or 5 laps at the Glen so evidently the car does need it when pushed hard.

I also removed the mesh grille under the hood & behind the engine to help get more air volume out. All of this helped a lot.

I saw that the 348 LeMans actually had cooling fans mounted under the hood to suck air out of from the engine upawrds but I havent found the need for that yet

15. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Getting back to the issue of cooling the liquid gasoline, I'm wondering if the big benefit is that is cools the combustion chamber more efficiently than ambient temperature gas. Maybe not much benefit on its own, but might allow you to advance the ignition a little. Cooler combustion chamber means less chance of preignition, so you can dial in a little advance. Used to be a good thing in the old days....

16. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

Brian did you make any progress?

one worry I have is fuel pressure - I assume that the unit will have a negative effect on fuel pressure - question is what they have done against it

17. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    I don't know if anyone else noticed, but their ad on the inside back cover of the latest Forza has a banner saying, "Importers/distributors wanted". It sounds like maybe the 2 firms mentioned are in the preliminary stages of negotiations or Dimex/Imola has not yet made a decision. I'll be curious to see who ends up with the license.

18. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In another thread, this was asked:

I'll answer here. Note that if you do that, for every amount of air you evacuate, you are losing that amount of downforce. We'd rather force the air out the back, reducing drag (a bit), rather than out the bottom reducing downforce.

A better proposal would be to open more venting in the back glass... let the heat rise right out... heck make the glass/lexan removable... of course, then you'll render all that aerodynamic work Ferrari has done moot.

Thus, ultimately, the focus has been on extracting it straight out the back via exhaust, or in the case of the Imola fuel cooler, to eliminate particular heat via the A/C.

But I will agree that one of the opportunities for improving the 360 seems to be heat evacuation from the engine compartment... or keeping the heat from entering the intake air or fuel flows.