Has anybody done Brno ? | FerrariChat

Has anybody done Brno ?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by wazza, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Guys,

I've got a chance to do a track day at Brno.

Has anybody driven this curcuit ?
    What's it Like ?

Is it easy to get to from London ?

Thanks

Wazza

2. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
  3. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Wazza,

I lived in the Czech Republic for eight years and have been a spectator at the MotoGP of the Czech Republic at Brno on four occasions.

Getting there is easy - head to Prague (a good day's drive from the UK - with a wonderful blast across Germany :D), take the highway south to Brno (about a 2 hour drive) and follow the signboards just before you get into Brno. Not difficult at all.

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to drive the circuit, but the Ferrari Club of CZ does have an open day down there. Last year my car was either in for cam belts or I was out of the country and so missed the opportunity :( From a spectator's perspective I really like the place. The circuit is built on a hilly patch so it has vertical geography, which is good for viewing. Every year the MotoGP riders rave about the track, saying that it is one of their favourite circuits. I have never sat by the pits or on the main straight, but speeds are apparently good and overtaking possible. As far as I'm aware the McLaren Mercedes team practices there every year, so the place must have something going for it.

If you want to speak to the local Ferrari agent in Prague, let me know and I will give you his contact details. He lived in the building next door to me in Prague and speaks perfect English (as he spent most of his life in Canada). The Czech agent has a 360 or two in the Challenge Cup and has a good service facility in Prague should that be required.

I will be back in Prague for a weekend later this month or in March....it's probably my favourite city.

Cheers, MARK

4. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Mark,

Thanks for that.

I was due to go on Thursday the 24th of June
    but I'm not sure if I can make it now anyway
    as I'm racing at Brands that weekend and will
    probably need to test on the Friday so I couldn't make it back in time.

For future reference though.
    I probably wouldn't drive all that way and would arrange for the F.Car to
    be transported and fly myself.

Is it easy to hire a car in Prague and drive it down to Brno,
    Or is there an easier way by either public transport or even from Vienna
    which I think is closer.

Thanks

Wazza

5. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Wazza,

I've done it once and it will cost about GBP 800-900 to truck your car to Prague. But the drive is MUCH more fun IMHO! :D

Hiring a Ferrari in Prague may be a challenge...never saw that service offered in my 8 years there. Dresden or Vienna would probably be the best option - Brno must be about equidistant from both. The drive from Vienna is a little frustrating, I like the twisty Dresden road, but if it's speed you want, hire a car in Munich and enjoy the almost solid stretch of autobahn. :D

Let me know if I can be of any help if you finally make it out to CZ. I booked my next trip today - you'll find me in the back of a smoky Prague-7 pub on the weekend of February 27 ;)

Cheers, MARK