The Why of sticky interior parts? | FerrariChat

The Why of sticky interior parts?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Markie1949, May 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    My '91 348 interior plastic parts and finish are in great shape except for the passenger door release. When I was shopping cars, I came across a 355 that had the dreaded and apparently all too common melting interior. I was wondering [as I stand in front of my car with cleaning materials in hand] if perhaps the problem is with some sort of common cleaning agent that has been used on them, or hand lotion, suntan oil, etc. Or is the problem more a 355 issue? Anyone solved the mystery?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    It's my understanding that Armorall and other silicone-based products cause the black trim items to get gummy. I don't know this for a fact, but that's what I've heard.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I don't know what brands do and what brands don't, but it is DEFINITELY cleaning that does it.

Just use a clean damp cloth or chamois to clean the interior plastic.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    GM has used various types of plastic in thier cars, from the 60's on. when i would get a muscle car with gooey interior, the parts usually could be saved by using Spic & Span and warm water to clean the parts. once they have gotten to this point, you can vever clean them with ANY chemicals. as was suggested, clean damp cloth should be just fine. the heat seems to make this affect on the plastics and the silicone products worse.

5. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    What's amazing is that this problem started in early 90's, and Ferrari didn't fix it sooner! I think just hot humid weather will melt it.

6. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Hi,
    I use cleaning products from Griot's Garage [www.griotsgarage.com]. They pride themselves on non-silicone containing products which is widely used by owners of fine cars such as yours. They have, specifically, something called "Interior Cleaner", which should meet your need very well. Good luck.

7. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi,

....in my opinion, one of the best non-silicone/UV protectant products is 303 Protectant.........www.303products.com

Anthony

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I had the same problem on the A/C vents, center console, and triangl;e metal mirror mount locations in the 348 I bought. It was recommended to use 3M General Purpose cleaner (available through Griot's). No local stores carried it. I used Goof Off 2 and Qtips to clean all the goo off the parts. It took about 3 hours start to finish, with no parts removal. That was about three months ago and the plastic still looks as though it is from a brand new car. Many people suggest repainting the parts with flat black spray paint, but I think the 'cleaned' plastic looks and feels fine.
    BT

9. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    The rubberised silica based finishes soften when silicone based cleaning agents are used, in the same way paint softens when you add paint thinners
    The owners manual does say to clean it using soapy water...............

10. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    Thank you all!! I've never been a fan of Armorall, but I do like using Windex on most non porous surfaces. Seems that this should be an urgent warning to all if your car hasn't already been messed up. Thanks again.

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Just need to confirm - do all 348s, 355s suffer from the melting-interior syndrome, or only some? All the cars here suffer from it, so I suspected it was due to the constant heat and humidity here. I don't think all of them were cleaned with silicone-based products. Has Ferrari issued any clarification?

The early (and perhaps later) Mercedes SLKs had the same problem.

12. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I've used Plasti-kote with great success to duplicate the original rubbery finish. Available at Harbor Freight

13. 348_project_car

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Just curious, how heavy does plasti-kote leave it on, heavy or light? What kind of texture is left?

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you're talking about the interior door handles and console panels, it was because M-B cheaped out and used thin rubberized coating over black soft plastic parts. My '98 had a red interior and the red flaked off the handle. Not sure if this is the same chemical problem 348/355's have, because I only used a water-dampened cloth to clean my SLK interior.

The new SLKs seem to more nicely done inside.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Another note in general, read the back of ALL of your cleaning products and dressings (vinyl, rubber, tire etc...) for the key words, "petroleum distillates". Throw those products away immediately.

16. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Plasti-kote finish can be heavy or light depending on how many coats you put on. It duplicates the factory finish VERY well.

17. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Incidentally, I have found that easy-off oven cleaner removes the old finish quickly and easily.

18. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Never used any kind of cleaner other than water dampened cotton cloth, but both 355 and 550 rubber coating melted.

I think heat, humidity, and air pollution is enough to melt the material. Glad they don't use it on the 430 anymore.

19. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Windex is NOT a good idea.

It's ammonia based. Ammonia is a very aggressive solvent, will break down most organics & many metallic compounds with repeated applications. The AmmoniaD in Windex isn't as aggressive as straight ammonia, but it's not something to use freely either.

it will destroy the conductors of rear window defrosters, & degrade the optical coatings on sunroof windows, sunglasses, binocular lenses, etc.

20. Ferrari348turbo

Ferrari348turbo Karting

Nov 22, 2005
    Florida
    Cleaning solvents although could cause it, has nothing to do with why.

The plastic that Ferrari used does not contain any UV blockers or protection. Clean a part with solvent, stick it in the bedroom closet and it will remain the same for years, nice and clean. Clean the same part stick it outside for 1 hour here in florida and you will notice that it quickly becomes tacky. This is why clear coats protect it, because 99.9% have UV protection in them.

Plastics with UV protection if left in the sun will oxidize causing the plastic to turn white, plastics without UV protection added will typically melt

21. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Verell is right, you don't want to use any harsh solvents or other chemicals.
    I have a magazine article where they visit http://www.justdashes.com/
    and the owner says he believes that the solvents exacerbate the removal of the plasticizers in the material. There is already enough damage from UV and the expansion and contraction of the materials due to temperature. Of course there is the question of the original quality of the pigment/binder/resin used in these cars in the first place.

22. Ferrari348turbo

Ferrari348turbo Karting

Nov 22, 2005
    Florida
    Again its not the solvents, other wise thinner wouldnt clean it, it would just excellerate the problem. Its all about UV. You can soak these plastic parts in windex and silicon solvent you wanted, itwont do a thing to it, I have casted these parts using silicon release agents, nothing happens. The only damage is from UV<----, from there solvents will effect the UV portions more so, but its not the solvents its the UV burn portions of the plastic. Stop the UV buring you stop the problem, If you dont any any portion burned from UV, windows, armoral, silicon, gas will not effect it

23. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Been using that stuff for a few years and love it....

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Some years ago I bought plastic deadblow hammers. These were molded out of red-orange plastic and worked very well. However, I began to notice that they became slippery over time, and eventually were always sticky. I thought at first I had spilled some oil on them and cleaned them with soap and water. Naturally, these were tools, so I never used Armor-all or similar products on them. They kept getting sticky and eventually started to fall apart. One day they were ust in pieces in my toolbox! They just disintegrated into chunks.

I also had AlpineStar motorcycle boots. I stopped riding for a few years, then bought a Ducati so looked for the old boots. Same problem. The plastic bits had gotten sticky and some parts became so weak they just broke off. Of course, I never used silicones on the boots, probably never cleaned them, and throuh the years in storage, they were in a dark closet, so no UV.

Seems very similar to the Ferrrai plastic problem, except Ferraris cost s much more ....

A pundit commented that manufacturers, facing the scourge of disposable plastic bottles that last hundreds of years, have been experimenting with biodegradeable plastic. It's just that they biodegrade too quickly!

I don't know if that's true or it's just some production problem, but heat and high humidity might contribute (the problem is widespread in Ferraris in Asia), and of course UV won't help. I am curious to know whether Ferraris in the temperate regions suffer the same fate. If not, it's heat and humidity.

25. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    I am feeling the pain right now of the Italian maple syrup. Over $1500.00 so far and I still have to replace the steering column housing... Arrrggg...

We should make this "sticky" thread a "sticky"!