Have a drool at this collection ... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Have a drool at this collection ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PSk, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    As I said, we love the cars and the great stories that sometimes accompany them.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe we should talk to Walter Medlin instead! LOL

Obviously playing it close to the vest! Nice try Wayne!
    Pretty big catch, just couldn't get it to the boat.

It does make one wonder why just liquidate the Lusso. The most work required? The cheapest in actual real $$ value?? The only one with a title??
    It wasn't even a complete car, judging from photos. Did you track the Lusso deal, Wayne?

The mind reels.

3. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    Hello this is Evan Shadlun, Basil's son I'm sorry but I will not tell you about my father's cars, but if you want to learn more about the cars and my father if you can find it look at the August issue of Sports Car Illustated page 30-33 or the January issue of Classic Cars magazine. Thank You

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for the tip.

Here's one for you. I told your sister. Every time you post to this thread, it brings it to the top of the catagory, to everyone's attention.

You can converse privately with anyone here by clicking on the name of the post writer and use Private Messages or email, if applicable.

Best wishes on the collection!

Sincerely,

Speedy 308
    Alan Leach
    World's Fastset Art Car
    As seen in Cavallino #133

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Put your arrow cursor on Speedy308, and try it!

6. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    Okay, the "chicken coop" was a chicken coop at one time because my father was an egg farmer and he had three chicken coops, but I only stored my cars in one abandoned chicken coop. He died in 1975 and I started putting my cars into all of them. I could also start collecting Mercedes there is kind of a funny story behind why I couldn't. I was recently offered 1.3 million dollars for the California and I am looking into buying another Lusso for $95,000. So I don't think everybody thinks my cars are rotting away. If you look at those pictures by Mike Sheehan that is of my son Evan and myself. Thank you for your time.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm starting to doubt you are who you say you are. There is no common sense with some of your rational here. Lets think about this.

Somebody offers you 1.3 million dollars for a particular car ... and you continue to store them in the not the best place ... no business sense to me.

You also have the money to buy more 'stock', and yet you do not appear to be interested in looking after the 'stock' you already have.

Now I could have got this all wrong, but usually when a person realises the value (even if they are not car people) of the cars they have somehow ended up with, their attitude to them changes and the red carpet rolls out ...

Anyway, I appologise if I have offended or made a huge judgement mistake but it just does not make sense. The article photos I posted shows cars that would make the California look like a cheap joke, stored like they were worth no more than a second hand tyre. Now hopefully, as I think you mentioned before, things have changed ... but you well and truly sound like you have the funds to maintain your investments, and that is what anybody with an ounce of good business sense would do, ie. invest in your current stock by building proper storage buildings ... and not buy more!

I just don't get it ... sorry.

Pete

8. TopMonkey

TopMonkey Karting

Mar 14, 2004
    Monroe, LA
    Full Name:
    Joel C.
    What I'm not understanding at all, is how someone with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of rare ferraris, can not afford a computer. And this is my very own personal opinion, and I'm not meaning to offend anyone, but it is rediculous and if you ask me a little selfish to keep such collectibles in that kind of condition, and without much interest at all in maintaining or restoring them, when hundreds of other enthusiasts would do practically anything to have even one of those cars. This just doesn't make any sense to me.

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The California didn't break a million when it was on E bay. If I remember correctly it was at 750,000 at end of auction.

10. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    If you people don't want to believe me, fine. I know I am who I say I am. The reason it only reached 750,000 on Ebay is because I didn't release that my car California 0927 was raced at Daytona, Florida by Bob Grossman. I did release that info to my friend in Virginia Beach that is why I was offered 1.3 million. Also I just built a metal building on my new property with heat, air conditioning, and a roof. The reason I do not have a computer is because I have no idea how to use a computer except to type and click on things. As you heard my daughter showed me this sight and I started talking to you people.

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I wasn't saying anything about who you are, just a statement about the car. Is the California steel or aluminum?

12. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    Its aluminum, but the wheels are steel

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sir, welcome to the Internet and Ferrari Chat. For better or worse, here's what you are going to find:

1. People say things on the computer that they would never say face-to-face. The sad truth is that folks have a tendency to be ruder than normal.

2. Currently, this is an open board. Anybody and everybody can get on and say anything they want. As a result, many of us are very suspicious of any poster who starts making unusal claims. It's nothing personal, but we have all been burned many times before.

3. I don't know for sure, but most of the people on this board are probably Gen Xers or Echo Boomers (i.e., the children of Baby Boomers) who take computer literacy for granted. I'll never forget the day when I found my daughter at the computer carrying on in 2 or three chat rooms, while on a conference call at the same time. Even most of us old farts have gotten with the program. But don't let your inexperience stop you from participating.

Despite all this, there are many of us who would love to hear about you and your cars. So don't let the catcalls from the peanut gallery bother you. Just come on in, the water is fine.

Thx, DrTax

ps Did a "Mr Badger" handle that Internet auction? If so, can you tell us some more about him? I chatted with him a few times several years ago, very interesting person. But I believe that he moved to NZ?

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well done man, concrats now you have my full respect. You have been lucky to fall into such potential investments, and now you are looking after your investment like any sane person would ... was a bit worried before but you are obviously an intelligent man. I do hope that you do not just see these cars as money on wheels ... though this might explain your distain for them earlier. Most of us here see them as important parts of the automotive history and would chop off body parts to be so fortunate to own one of them ... I'm taking the old F1 cars and LM, etc.

Pete

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I know many older exotic car owners who do not "chat" on the internet.

As far as value, many of these cars changed hands as broken, obsolete vehicles. Many had replacement Chevys dropped in them by frustrated owners.

Hats off to Mr. Shadlun for preserving any of these cars long enough for repair to make financial sense.

Ya'll mind your manners! ;)

16. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    Hello, I don't know why I'm saying this because you guys don't really care, but I just finished the Ferrari Daytona's body work and got it running and driving. It still needs to be painted and have the interior done. I also purchased a Ferrari Lusso for 96,000 dollars.
    Thank you,
    Basil Shadlun

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

You are mistaken. The fact of the matter is that we do care. Thats what this is all about.
    Bill

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Back To Top (BTT)

For posting photos:

X

X

X

Maybe we should start a new thread: "New Shop for Basil's Cars"

I think they said a new shop was underway, for the collection.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #69 BigTex, May 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for posting Mr. Shadlun!

You're wrong. We would love to see photos, even (or especially) work in progress!

The thread on Napolis' P4 is one of the site favorites, IMO (In my opinion).

It shows the care and wisdom of those who saved these cars from the metal crusher! My hat is off to you, sir!

I just added this one to my barn in Texas. Mr. Andretti said, "Looks good!"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    BTT How's the progress on the shop and the cars????

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jersey1124????????

22. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    I'm sorry for not posting anything, but I have been in volved in my SS100 Jaguar and my Lamborghini Muira my shop is done I will post pictures of my cars and my building later.

23. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Apologies for dragging this one up 5 years later but I can't believe that nobody in this thread mentioned that Basil Shadlun is the guy who advertised for years back in the 70s in "Road & Track" magazine's classifieds wanted section for wrecked and rundown exotics. Used to always wonder who he was and what happened to the cars he was buying up.

24. prateem

prateem Rookie

Oct 30, 2008
    True Blue, Grenada
    Full Name:
    Prateem Chauhan
    So I have read a few of the threads from 2004 about Walter Medlen's car collection (I loved reading about it), but none of the attachments are their, and none of the links work. Could some kindly scan the original Road and Track article. Ive done a couple of google searches and the only image I found was a very small pic of the barn and 19 cars that Hurricane Charley destroyed. Thanks........

25. ted walker

ted walker Karting

Feb 7, 2009
    gloucestershire UK
    Full Name:
    edward walker
    Here here. As another newcomer I have the same problem .