Who do you like to see in the Ferrari seats post MS era? | FerrariChat

Who do you like to see in the Ferrari seats post MS era?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Tifoso1, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    When MS does retire from racing, who would you like to see in those cars to compete with the team McLaren (JPM and KR)? As of right now, I would like to see Ferrari pursuit after F.Alonso, M.Webber and maybe even J.Button as I think he has shown a great deal more maturity this season so far.

2. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    I try : Fisichella, but he is getting older...........
    Verstappen, but he is getting older
    Leinders, but he has no experience........

Button, nice.....
    Alonso, maybe

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Alonso and JPM

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    JPM, Kimi, Weber, Alonzo.

But I bet they have their eye on someone down in F3000 that we're not even thinking about yet.

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Andreas and Mule....

Actually, I see them searching for at least one Italian talent. maybe a current F3000 driver who spends a year or two with a mid-pack team and moves to Ferrari in '06 or '07. Both Renault drivers have shown promise, but the field seems so moderatly even right now. Is Button suddenly great or is there just no superstars in the field?

If McLaren does not turn the other way, there may be Kimi and JPM being lured by a red car. How about Salo and Villenueve?

6. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I think F. Alonso is capable of doing a great job with a Ferrari... together with F. Massa...

And what about... ME lol :D

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LOL, I like that!
    It would make me the happiest guy on the planet and immediately end an era of F1 domination (speaking only for myself here).

Button used to be a super rookie and I saw a new MS in him already. His first year at Williams was stunning, but then he got ahead of himself and disappeared in mediocrity. Now he seems to have matured just enough to match his obvious talent with racing strategy etc. I'm glad to see that happen, but still not sure anymore he is another MS.

You really meant Salo (and not Sato)? He is getting a bit old. Although he would deserve at least one race driving and winning for Ferrari after his loyalty in Hockenheim cost him the one and only victory of his career.

Villeneuve in a Ferrari? Ok, I'm sold. Just to have that name on the red cars again I would even accept a whiner.
    :)

But since we're talking about the future anyway, how about:

Rosber and Piquet (the sons that is)

8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    No way Montoya. He's too hotheaded and a bit of a cry baby by F1 standards. Kimi is the best behind MS then Alonso. Massa maybe in a 4 or 5 years.

I dont think Ferrari will pull from the lower formulas as they just don't do that and they are there to Win, Win, Win and not train a rookie. The Saubers, Jordans, Manardi's of the grid are there for that.

Kenny

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
  10. davel

davel Guest

Ive heard Webber is a team maker and unifier like MS. I could see him there. Kimi as an outside shot if not Webber. The # 2 is just that, and it might be someone we are not aware of and I don't see Massa at all. His performances dont indicate growth yet. Alonso I suppose but he doesnt show the leadership yet to unify a team and lead it. Fisi second to Webber ala Rubens maybe. I hope we get a picture of this by seasons end.

11. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Who are the current top drivers?

Kimi
    JPM
    Button
    Webber
    Alonso

I could see any of them at Ferrari...
    I would prefer a Webber/Alonso team at Ferrari.

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Yes, Salo, the Finn. Interestingly, I was watching NASCAR and the drivers approach 50 years old and are still competitive. So why do F1 guys walk in the 30's?

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I can't think of anyone honestly besides myself who would be perfect for the job.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    alonso and rubens (fisi, if rubens not available). young gun, old hand. they need guys that are team players, charismatic, cool under pressure and able to give feedback.

kimi too laconic, and only really interested in driving fast - which is the way macca like to keep things.
    jpm too hot headed, not a team player.
    webber, would be a good pick but doubt he would go there at the moment.
    button, would also be good, but i think he has it good at bar and wants to keep riding that horse before switching to the other one....

i disagree with some of you; ferrari will not pick somebody out of the f3000 or other lower formula. their current philosophy will be to just take the very best driver(s) on the grid, and pay what it takes. they have the money, and most drivers would sell their souls to drive for the scuderia, so when contracts allow - they will have whoever they want.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think it is down to reflexes. Knowing when that car is about to slide underneath your behind and do the right amount of countersteer or apply some brakes or throttle is the game.

Oval racing is very different and challenges different elements in a driver, which is why you can still do it at an older age.

Did I phrase that diplomatic enough? To quote the driving instructor we had at our last go kart outing: "This ain't no NASCAR where you turn left, eat a sandwich, turn left, take a nap, turn left."

16. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Not to move off topic on the skills needed to race different formula, but I bring this up since long ago in F1, drivers were older when they won championships, then we moved to the mid-30's being a senior citizen, so will it swing back some to the higher age? We have a lot of 1 and 2 year rookies, only one World Champ competing, and money being an entry over skill. [As a side note, I was watching the FIM 500CC season from 1993 last week and the first 6-8 riders were all championship contenders (6 were or became world champs).]

So, when will the MS era be over and who will be available when it is? Aside from Mrs. S saying no more and the length of his current contract, he could go quite a while.

17. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Rubens and either Alonso or Button.

I really want to see what an unchained Rubens can do.
    And I'd love to see what Alonso or Button would do seated in a Ferrari.

I do NOT want to see JPM or Kimi... I like them in the Darth Vader role. ;)

18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    At the current rate of Kimi's engine failures, I wouldn't be surprised if they were talking right now!

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh please you have got to be joking ... Fisi is hopeless, Verstappen is worst than hopeless and who is Leinders ...

If Verstappen ever got that seat I would no longer support Ferrari ... quite honestly one of the most untalented drivers I have ever witnessed live in his early days (Formula Alantic) that somehow got into F1, completely undeserved. Remember the accidents he caused at Interlagos and taking JPM out on is way to his first win.

My choice:

1. Alonso
    2. Weber then
    3. Button.

I will be extremely disappointed if Massa ever gets a Ferrari drive ... as he and Verstappin have the same level of ability.

Pete

20. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    I don't want to see JPM in a Ferrari either. He doesn't have the attitude to race a Ferrari. Look at Michael and Rubens, they seem so cool and nonchalant about it. Maybe Kimi or Button. I think Kimi has a great chance at it right now.

21. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Nobody has mentioned Coulthard! lol lol lol lol! :)

Sorry, think I've recovered now!
    I'm far from convinced about Kimi. I don't think he has 'it'. He is a race winner, but not a champion-in-waiting.
    Alonso is definately a champion of the future. I'd love to see him move to Ferrari.
    I don't think Massa is as good as the hype around him would suggest, however the fact that he is managed by Jean Todt's son obviously is helps his chances!
    Webber is great. He is a a great team-builder and a good driver.

I think that if they have equality between team-mates I'd like to see Alonso-Webber.

22. Mr Iceman

Mr Iceman Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think it would be interesting to see Ralph in a Ferrari, mostly for comedy value, although he is a very skilled driver he lacks the all round discipline of his brother. realisticly I think I would like to see a Weber/Alonso partnership, they have both shown supreme skill but also have the discipline and maturity to win a championship, I agree I love to hate JPM and therefore is best in the opposition role. Kimi is just too boring outside of a car.

Lets face it though when Schumi does retire so will Ross Brawn and Jean Todt, Ferrari will be a completely different animal.

23. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    Alonso and Button

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree that Fisi and Massa are hopeless. But you shouldn't be so casual about Verstappen: Haven't you heard what happened to Eddie Jordan and Nick Heidfeld at the beginning of the season? They got death threads from upset Verstappen fans who expected to have Jos-the Boss in that seat.

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What Brian C. Stradale said on Post #17, to the letter.