Baltimore Grand Prix | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Baltimore Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Darwin, Aug 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ESPN3.com has the ALMS race streaming in 20 minutes for those who want to watch live. Wish I could have gone up this weekend, definitely going next year.

2. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    What an experience today...awesome event.

The car corral was one of the best Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo shows I've seen in a while. It was great to hang out with all the forum members again.

We were commenting on how lucky we are to be standing next to a Risi 458 and all of the other ALMS cars.

The club hospitality tents were a good idea. Nice to be out of the sun and have food and drink ready.

The best part? We get to do it all over again tomorrow.

The weird part is that for the last 15 yrs, I've been traveling all over the US and the world to attend races, see club car corrals, meet celebrity drivers (like Bobby Rahal today).

It still hasn't hit me that all this is happening at "home" now.

LS

3. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
  4. whatsupofficer

whatsupofficer Formula Junior

May 25, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    Let me know if you may have an extra ticket or two. thanks I slept on getting mine like a dummy.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am very impressed with Baltimore for putting together a great event. I had a blast and can't wait to go back tomorrow.

There was a great turnout today, so hopefully that will mean that the race will live on in the future..

6. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #31 BillP00, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    David,

Thanks for posting those awesome pics. The Patron colors are really cool. But the FoFL 458 is so menacing.

Any more pics?

Bill P.

7. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    I had a lot of fun today - and I get to do it all over again tomorrow :)

Now, my oldest daughter's favorite car is Aston Martin- and we drove the Ferrari up there today.

8. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #33 autowerks9, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I will sort through all of the others and edit them down enough to upload most are 4 mb or larger. We are heading down to the corral areal early tomorrow to get some good pics when it is not as crowded. Have not hit the indy padoc yet so that is on the list.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Can't tell you how pissed I am that I won't make the event this year. Get up there and support everyone. We need top flight motorsport in our area and DC = FAILED.

Have fun up there this weekend. Take lots of pics.

MB

10. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
  11. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #36 modena2904, Sep 4, 2011
    Great day at the track yesterday. We had seats in grandstand 8, which was nice because you got to see the cars for a long time (heading down into the hairpin, and then back again through turn 4). There was plenty of action during the ALMS race.

Never did find the Mr. Tire tent, will try again today.

Although I didn't take part in the Lambo/Ferrari corral, I did at least get to look at the cars. The Aventador (did I even spell that right?) was amazing.

Final note, an acquaintance of mine is driving in the Star Mazda series. Learic Cramer, car 99 (standing 2nd from the right in the last photo below). She's done really well in Solo, and this is her first race in Star Mazda. Her goal today is to finish -- wish her luck.

- Eric

12. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Best of luck to her! I would love to have made it to that level of racing, but had to pull out due to wife reasons!

Hope she finishes and keeps it between the barriers!!!

MB

13. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Great view at the fence at the chicane. I watched both days from there. Terrific experience. Congrats to the politicians and power players in Balfimore for pulling off a great weekend. Jon

14. JCM

JCM Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    Williamsburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John McCauley
    At the end of the race the commentators and drivers were very vocal about the crowd and the city. Some minor issues about the track (more passing zones), but entirely complimentary. I think we all owe a big thanks to the city and its organizers and I want to go next year!

15. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    W O W !

Fantastic race today! I was looking down toward Turn 10. In front of me was the straight for entry into Turn 11. A Police Officer pointed his speedgun at the Indy racers going through Turn 10 (not straight), a sharp turn for sure. He clocked them at 142 MPH - "in" the turn!

16. SATedeschi

SATedeschi Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2007
    USA Delaware
    Full Name:
    Steve Tedeschi
    I should have planned to go.This seemed like a great event. Monaco in our backyard.

Can't wait to hear the specifics

17. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I just watched the race on DVR...not bad. Only one major snaggle so the drivers did a decent job.

Track way too bumpy.

I will go next year to see it.

Heard the Ferrari guys and Lambo guys go shafted and didn't get thier laps on track.....eveb after waiting all day when they were shafted in the AM due to timing of other clubs...hur-ting.

MB

18. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #43 autowerks9, Sep 5, 2011
  19. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
  20. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #45 autowerks9, Sep 5, 2011
  21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What grandstand were you in? I was in 22 on Sat and it was an awesome view.

It was amazing to see how many people came out for the event. Didn't see any real drama or trouble at all during the weekend. It was good to see the fans behave themselves as well!

22. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I have to say that it was an impressive event. They got it right the first time out.

My recap...

Carlos (in his Audi R8) met up nearby for a caravan with GT1Nick and I in the GT350. We started our relatively effortless drive up from DC to the track grounds and car club corral.

The corral was a bit lighter Sunday than on Saturday but still very convenient. As we were unloading some vendor supplies near the BMW hospitality tent, we were absolutely mobbed.

Nick and I could barely exit our car as fans came up to ask questions and take pictures. It was our version of the Peel Street festivals in Montreal. It was a great show atmosphere where we met lots of other owners that we hadn't seen in a few months.

After 15-20 minutes of trying to exit our car and socializing with admirers in the corral, we make our way into the hospitality tents. Since we knew so many people at each of the car club tents, we were able to enter and hang out in each.

The tents were a great idea...

Firstly, we were able to park right outside our respective club area in a car show atmosphere.

Secondly, it was a comfortable place to hang out. There were big screens to catch some of the action when you didn't feel like dealing with the crowds. The catering was really quite good...and this was a pleasant surprise!

The alcohol variety was excellent, even for an enthusiast!

Thirdly, there was lots of events taking place within the tents. Corporate activities, displays, etc. The BMW tent had a meet and greet with their GT team. Bobby Rahal was there for opening remarks...

The Lambo club tent had one of the two Aventadors at the race. WTF? This was impressive! I saw these two cars in Monterey two weeks ago and it made sense there. For them to show up at the BGP was a shock and a serious achievement.

The tents were next to the ALMS paddock. We had an excellent look into each team's operation and car setup. To top it off, the cars lined up for the grid *through* the corrals!!! So, in the middle of the car show, the race cars were prepping to hit the track.

This was a serious event... All of the classes were staged and fans had access to each of the cars and drivers.

To be standing next to the Risi 458, the C6-Rs, etc. was amazing. This is the class of racing that all can relate to. Even better was how different and unique the cars all sounded at idle and on track. ALMS is great racing!!

Sunday brought Indy cars to the attention of all the fans. The trackside seating with our credentials was excellent. We were, in the shade with plenty of food and drink thanks again to the catering. We were about 30 ft from the track and didn't miss much due to a big screen TV directly in front of us, on the other side of the track.

Every time I watch an Indy race, I'm reminded how open wheel racing should be. The on track action is great and the cars looked and sounded fantastic.

While my schedule didn't allow for any fun at night after the track closed, it seems that a party atmosphere was rampant. Drivers being mobbed at restaurants, bars, etc. The Lambo-Ferrari dinner Saturday night in Little Italy was excellent I'm sure.

We are so lucky to have an event of this caliber at home now. For years, we have felt that DC-Balt has never had the opportunity to properly mature as a true center of car culture. We had all the right demographics, without the proper catalyst for that evolution.

Well, we have it now.

And, it looks like our opinion is being backed up by good press as well:

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/6931708/indycar-series-baltimore-grand-prix-winner-indycar

While I knew this would be fun to attend, I wasn't expecting it to be outstanding.

Well done Baltimore. And thanks to Jason S and the BGP staff for the hard work in getting the clubs involved.

Now, with the support of all the local car enthusiasts, we're on our way to being on the "map".

LS

23. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    #48 FerrariMC, Sep 5, 2011
    I will second everyone when I say that the Baltimore GP was absolutely fantastico!! What a great event, I just loved the idea of them racing through the streets of Inner Harbor, so I expected it to be aweome!! Though Risi didn't do too well, though considering where they started from on a "street course" they were racing on for the first time, maybe I'm being to critical. ESM didn't do well either, so for Ferrari it wasn't such a hot GP, which would've made it the greatest weekend, for me, personally. Here's my pics, nothing great, though I did I get into the Risi Pits/Garage/paddock, which was my favorite moment of the weekend, besides the ALMS race. Hope everyone had a great time!! Thanks to Dave (autowerks9) and Glenn (captglenn) for blessing me with some extra tickets!! Forza Ferrari!

Mark

24. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    David and I had an excellent time and great view of the track from our hotel window at turn 12. The Lambo's, Ferrrai's and Audi's had a chance to run but it was on Saturday night around 8:30ish. David took over 1000 pictures so he will post some when he has a chance to go thru them. Baltimore ran an excellent event with no issues that I saw the entire 3 days, Security and police everywhere all with big smiles
    First class event. I will be back again next year

25. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee