Track Days/Motorsport | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Track Days/Motorsport

Discussion in 'Australia' started by b27, Apr 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I was wearing my "ferrari" gloves from the QLD FNR when I was chasing you and Mark through the Adelaide Hills .... only poofs can drive fast :)

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Just trying to look the part. :eek::eek:

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    those CAMS bastards made me put the roof on in Sadelaide because I had an open-face helmet which meant I had to have my head cocked at 45 degrees , not that that is an excuse for driving like a dickhead

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    are you sure? it sounded very familiar to me. are we talking about the same squeak?

5. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

As long as you had fun who cares :)

It is about 22 years since I drove my 308 at Phillip Island so it would have been on the old surface. It was slower back then; but I don't know by how much. I seem to recall a time in the 2.01's ? Car had 16" wheels and Yokohoma R something or others, DS 11 pads and was a bit stiffer than standard.

I think I predicted a 1.58 for you? With a bit more practise I reckon you would get there :)

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nah, I've just had decades of practise with low head room in Ferraris. That's the way it was for pretty much all F-cars post Daytona up to the 355.

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

..........except make seat foam for 308's.

8. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Thanks Peter, very helpful as always. The info came from a very reliable source in ATECO, so I assumed it would be ok. I was also told that you shouldn't deviate from the recommended brake fluid due to incompatibility issues. I assume you have had no problems in that department either?

Phil has told me about the Pagid 29's too. Much cheaper than the standard pads as well :)

It's good to know that you can run slicks without ABS issues. Boy does this car need much better tyres.

It turns out I couldn't get the pads out when I had the wheels off on the weekend. It seems I don't have the necessary tools. Rather than "doing a Moretti" and ****ing it up entirely, I thought I would leave it to the experts :)

9. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No problems with the fluid I quoted & use, it really is better.

I agree, I always just leave it to the experts and all I have described was from what I would term experts in the field :)

Len is a wealth of knowledge but will always toe the company line ;)

10. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    So, what did the brake paint tell you?

11. XTREMEIND

XTREMEIND Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Showbag
    Italian Stig?

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Greek stig re! ;);)

13. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Will report when wheels are changed over in coming weeks. I doubt much temp JM as there were only two hard braking points and I'm not sure how much residual heat is in the rotors as the braking points are almost a minute apart.

14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    what's that got to do with anything? you want to know what they got up to....not after one brake, but after a few laps.

silly sausage.

have you even tried to look? you should be able to see them through the wheels, surely.

I haven't checked with the 308, but with the 355 you can for sure.

15. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yes, I could JUST see when fitted with the 16's on, no chance with 14's on. Mind you with all that was going on on Saturday it was the last thing on my mind. Plus with all the rain and dirt not sure I'd see it without cleaning them.

You got your phone cahrged, mines on charge now. Lets see if we can go through dinner without talking to anyone. ;)

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    full battery. that would be a dream.

17. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    some here have to use someone else's phone during dinner

to call Olga the hooker

18. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #168 psw, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Completed a Racecraft day at EC with Paul Stokell & his team in the new Radical along with a bunch of other radicals. It was a great day of instruction & racecraft lessons with theory & practical on track, we even had a sports psychologist give a short presentation. Very professionally run by Radical & Stokell.

I am starting to feel more and more comfortable in the car, the more seat time I have the faster I'm going. The grip in this car is just phenomenal, once you learn to trust the car has a mechanical grip threshold then you go further & the aero grip kicks in, amazing. Most of the guys who have been driving a little longer than me all take turn 1 at EC at full noise in 6th gear. After last monday I reckon next time at the track I will be doing the same, on monday just an ever so slight lift of throttle to wash a tiny bit of speed - its very hard to forget going for a heap of brakes in a road car before turning in to the corner - then turn in & plant the throttle again. It has taken a little while to recalibrate my senses from road cars at EC, which is all I have driven there, once you learn to trust the aero grip it is amazing.

The brakes are just sensational, the Scud has brilliant brakes, but the mechanical & aero grip together in the Radical is just awesome, you can go another 40-50m + into corners before braking.

When I left on monday all I wanted to do was get back to the track the next day, will have to wait until end of the month for another day. It can't come soon enough, the more I drive it the more fun I have, especially given you are learning the nuances of the car & getting faster each time.

Can you tell, I love my new car :D tm pp

A couple of photos of another day, yet to get my new livery design finished & vinyl installed, will post up some better photos when complete and maybe some video after the next day out - the camera had some issues that day - if people are interested?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    turn 0ne would be a buzz.

20. 275 GTB

275 GTB Formula 3

Nov 21, 2008
    Sthrn Highlands
    DO NOT race this man in reverse! :)

21. 275 GTB

275 GTB Formula 3

Nov 21, 2008
    Sthrn Highlands
    Overated...there is a slippery line close in that fools even the best and of course, on the outside (if marbles/oil present)...otherwise, just punch on through.

22. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    yea ok,tell that to a historic guy pushing a lola430 through there.

23. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Very interested. Looking forward to it Pete.

24. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    V. cool - yes please!

Great to hear the comparison to road car experiences and building trust in something new.

25. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very nice machine mate! Thanks for sharing. Take care and enjoy. :):)