Myles' List of Holy Week Events | FerrariChat

Myles' List of Holy Week Events

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by RRRREDRVR, Aug 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    Hi all:

I put this together for our Ferrari Carmel group, but some of you may also be interested. Here's my list of events coming up next week. Sorry if some of my opinions on them don't line up with yours...I just call them as I see them. Warning - a lengthy post....

Myles

TUESDAY - August 10

Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue Display - By now, you must know that the official Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue is not happening this year, and in its place is a special invitation-only LIMITED EDITION display of selected cars on Ocean Ave. This will be taking place from 12:00 - 1:30, and will include filming of an episode of Chasing Classic Cars. It sounds like fun, and we plan to check it out. Our best wishes and support go out to Doug and Jeanie and hope that this fabulous event can return to its full glory in 2011.

Automobilia Monterey Expo - Tony Singer's event at the Seaside Embassy Suites is a must-do for anyone who collects memorabilia, or is decorating their office, den, or garage. Running two days (Tues and Weds), this event is always eclectic and interesting. You never know just what or who you might find there! It also helps raise funds for charity. For more info see www.automobiliamonterey.com.

WEDNESDAY - August 11

Automobilia Monterey Expo - See above.

FERRARI CROSSROADS WINE SOCIAL - Noon - 2PM This will take place in the Crossroads Shopping Village (corner of HWY 1 and Rio Road). There will be 30 reserved spaces for Ferrari Parking along the main Boulevard, on a first-come, first served basis based on Richard Canon receiving your advance registration. There will be additional parking, as available, but not reserved. There will be wine tastings from Morgan Winery, Boete Winery and Cima Colina pouring, as well as hors devoures from participating restaurants, and there will also be some great door prizes. Dan Lee, owner of Morgan has agreed to donate a box of his four best Pinot Noirs: Double L, Tondre, Garys' and Rosella's ($200 retail value). And, the Crossroads Office is providing a $100 gift Certificate. In addition, one of the newest shops at the Crossroads, Rose Hip Floral Design, will be providing a very elegant floral arrangement to raffle off. And, Weber Goldsmith Gallery will feature Paul Reps' TR, have live music, and a drawing for gemstones! And, a few other items and surprises are also expected.

PRICE is $30/car, or $15/person. To register, contact Richard Cannon at 831 641-0732, or [email protected], and Excess proceeds go to Hospice & Visiting Nurses of Monterey County charities. Send in your check to the address below:

Richard Cannon
    1488 Deer Flat Road
    Monterey, CA 93940

Cost is $15 per person or $30 per car (two tickets).
    Cut off for sign ups is Wednesday Aug. 4th. Don't Delay!!

McCall Motorworks Revival Event - Held at Monterey Jet Center. A cornucopia of cars, motorcycles, planes, jewelery, cigars, upscale food and beverage, eye candy of all persuasions, and more. Various automotive celebrities have made appearances in the past. For info see www.mccallevents.com We're not planning to do this one this year. Tickets are $200/person and available on the website. If you go, recommend going early to insure parking and food/beverage availability.

THURSDAY - August 12

"Ferrari Fra Vigne" Chateau Julien Wine Estate - Carmel Valley. Last year, the Pacific Region of the FCA held their annual Monterey Ferrari Concours at this venue. This came about as the former official FCA Concours venue, Concorso Italiano had been sold, and for a time its future was in some question. The club came to an agreement with Bob Brower, Ferrari owner and proprietor of CJ, and an absolutely delightful event was the result. Ferrari's were placed all around the winery property, among the vines, in the parking lots, on the grass, and in the courtyard. A delicious luncheon was catered and this private club Concours was a highlight of the week. This year, however, the "new" Concorso Italiano ownership lobbied hard to bring a judged Ferrari Concours back to C.I. But, a very large contingent of contented particpants from last year, wanted to see it stay at CJ. The end result is a win-win for Ferraristi. This year, there will be TWO judged Ferrari Concours. One at CJ on Thursday, and one at C.I. on Friday. Thus, the opportunity to take home awards and enjoy a Ferrari display has increased by 100%! This year, Chateau Julien will take a larger role in hosting the event, and the FCA will provide the judging. Plan on a relaxing and luxurious day of wine tasting, viewing spectacular Ferrari's, vendors, a delicious meal served either among the vines, or among the barrels, Ferrari-related vendors, and socializing with friends, both old and new. Yours truly will be emceeing the festivities. For more information, see the Chateau Julien website at www.chateaujulien.com and find this under NEWS & EVENTS tab. An online entry form is available. A GREAT event! Still time to enter if you act quickly! Also, the winery is hosting dinners in the vinyard throughout the week. Check the winery website if you want to book a dinner after the event, or any other evening.

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (formerly the Monterey Historics) - See more info below.

Automotive Art Exhibit - August 11 – 16, 2010 Solo Art Exhibition, Thierry Thompson Automotive and Aviation artwork Classic Art Gallery, southwest corner of Ocean & Dolores Carmel-by-the-Sea. Artist reception August 12, 4 p.m.- 7 p.m. Note, Thierry is noted for his Automotive Art and provided art for portions of the FCA 2004 Annual Meet. For more info, contact Beverly Thompson at 659.5592 or email [email protected]

FRIDAY - August 13

Concorso Italiano - Last year's inconic event, Concorso Italiano, was a big question mark prior to the event. However, all reports from those who attended last year indicated that it was an unqualified success and returned C.I. to its former glory. Thanks to the attention of its new owner, Tom McDowell, and the fact that it is now held at the picturesque Laguna Seca Golf Ranch and not the dusty run-down venue at the Marina airport, this event is once again a winner. This event tends to attract more of the "newer" Ferrari's, and draws only a handful of the early cars, but it is a great way to spend a day looking at all things Italian in a splendid setting, and at a bargain price as compared to alternatives. After all, in 2004, a record 600+ Ferrari's were exhibited at C.I. After a several year absence (my last visit was 2004, when I spelled out "FERRARI" on the field with cars....mine was the dot on the "i"), we're planning to check it out this year and have signed up. I'm looking forward to a new and different experience, and am hoping the positive reports were on the mark. For more info, see www.concorso.com.

The Quail - A Motorsports Gathering - "The Quail" as it has become known is a WONDERFUL event! We've done it the last several years, and even though I complained every year about the uber-high ticket prices, come the day of the event I had an absolutely ENJOYABLE experience. It is VERY civilized, with limited attendance, and a seemingly endless supply of gourmet food, wine, vodka, cigars, coffee drinks, fresh produce, jewelry, kitchen cabinetry, clothing, and uh, oh yes, exquisite CARS! The best of the best are here, and even though I've seen most of the cars and know most of the people, its always a most enjoyable day, despite the fact its essentially a $400+ cocktail party ticket (that is.....IF you can get your hands on one)! The event has traditionally sold out minutes after the tickets went on sale in February. I should also add that many of our Ferrari Carmel faithful feel some allegiance to The Quail, as Edgar's has been our home base for our Ferrari Carmel luncheons, and the management and staff of the The Quail have bent over backwards to support us. For this, I am most appreciative, and I hope a number of you are still planning to go! Without question, it is perhaps one of the most enjoyable (if not expensive) events of the week. For info, see www.quaillodgeevents.com, however its seems that tickets are sold out and not currently available.

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (formerly the Monterey Historics) - In my view, the BIG change this year, is the transition of ownership and management of the Monterey Historics to SCRAMP. This year, the event is featuring Dan Gurney, including the cars he built, and drove. In addition to the usual mix of vintage racing cars, there will be fields of Trans-Am, Formula 1, Bugatti, and vintage Stock Cars. Personally, I see this as a positive move for the event, and the car community overall, however this year will clearly be a transition year, and the true flavor of the future direction of the event may not be fully evident until next year and beyond. I have been in contact with SCRAMP, and am told that you will see some changes this year, although it will also feel like a familiar event. The major sponsors also have had a role in deciding how things would be done. Over the next several years, I think you'll see the event focus on delivering more interest and value to the participants, the spectators, and the sponsors. You'll find me at the track on Saturday. For more info, see www.mazdaraceway.com. Event runs from Thurs - Sun. The FCA-PR has a hospitality tent and a Ferrari parking area (unpaved, however). For more info on the FCA hopitality area, contact Steve Souza at [email protected] for info or to sign up.

The FCA Pacific Region Chatel Cocktail Party - Friday, August 13th, 5:30 to 8:30at Chatel, Lincoln between Ocean & 7th Ave., Carmel, RSVP Mandatory to Bill McElfresh: [email protected]. Cocktails, food, goodies bags, and watches, watches and more watches!

SATURDAY - August 14

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (formerly the Monterey Historics) - See above

Ferrari's at the Barnyard - I've just learned that the Barnyard Ferrari Event (including Maserati's, Lamborghini's and other Italian/exotic marques) that was formerly organized by Khaki's Mens Clothiers (who has now moved from the Barnyard to downtown Carmel), has now been reinstated, and is now being managed by the Barnyard Center Management, with sponsorship from Patrick James Mens Clothing, and KWAV radio. This event will be held on Saturday, August 14, from 4:30 - 7:00 PM as before (in the parking lot adjacent to what is now Patrick James Mens Clothing) with food and wine tasting as in the past and a silent auction will benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Association. Cost is $40 for the wine tasting and food. For more info, contact Mia McKee 831-624-9035 [email protected]

Open House Ferrari Party at Ted Rutlands Ferrari Parts - 4PM - ?? T. Rutlands will be holding it’s annual Open House on Saturday Aug 14th from 4- whenever the last glass of wine is poured. It’s an open invitation to our favored Ferrari Carmel Car Group and will consist of Classic Italian Cuisine with a California touch. The food will be great and the wine bar will be open. This will also celebrate the 1 year anniversary of T. Rutlands West. They hope to see car enthusiasts from all over whether it is to stay or stop in and say their hellos! T. Rutlands will be at every event during Holy Week and they hope to see you during the week and extend their thanks. T Rutlands Ferrari parts is located on the Monterey Airport Property at 105 Aviation Lane at Monterey Airport (located next to John Bagioli's Forza Motors).

FCA-PR Monterey Dinner - Prance by the Sea - An elegant evening of cocktails and dining at the legendary La Playa Hotel, the Grande Dame in downtown Carmel-By-The-Sea. Cocktails begin at 6PM, and dinner at 7:30 overlooking Carmel Bay and the Pacific Ocean. Cost is $140/person, reservations required. For info or tickets, contact Bob Creager or Mika Saitoh at 415 885-8508 or [email protected]. Limited seating available.

SUNDAY - August 15

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (formerly the Monterey Historics) - See above

The Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - As everyone knows, the PB Concours is perhaps the "top of the heap" in the Concours world. If you've NEVER been to the event, you MUST go. Its definitely a happening, and has a vibe all its own. The cars are the stars here, and its easy to become simply overwhelmed by all the beauty and design excellence. Go EARLY EARLY if you really want to see them. However, if you've attended in recent years, then you may feel as we do, that its a crowded, over-priced, and uncomfortable day, UNLESS you are a sponsor with a VIP suite, a member of the media, or have lucked into being the guest of such a VIP sponsor. THEN, its a marvelous way to enjoy Sunday of "Holy Week" on someone else's nickel! We've been fortunate enough to do it many times as someone's guest, and while this may sound jaded, its just not an enjoyable event for the average spectator buying a ticket. Yes, you bump into celebrities like Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld (the former being friendly and willing to talk to you, the latter just the opposite), and yes, its an opportunity to dress up and admire everyone else who took the time to do the same. But, unless you arrive REALLY early, its very crowded, and it becomes quite difficult to actually look at, or enjoy the cars, or even walk around at some times. You're constantly in someone's photo shot, annoying the hell out of them. And, if you want to take a break and get something to eat or drink, the choices are minimal. The non-VIP food is miserable, and there's NOWHERE to sit for a while and rest (unless you brought your own picnic blanket and staked out an early spot on the grass). So, what did you expect for $150/person, comfort? Meanwhile, the great washed get unlimited gourmet food and alcohol in the deluxe suites, with plush seating, umbrellas, fabulous views, and other beautiful people. Getting the picture? And the parking.....Even some of the VIPS have to follow the signs to lots along 17 Mile Drive where you've parked in the dirt, and then have what seems like an hour plus bus ride out and back. Several times now, I've been on buses where the drivers' didn't know the route and got lost! So, unless someone comes through and offers those precious VIP tickets to us this year, you won't find us there! But, if you're going, ENJOY! There will be a special display of Ferrari SWB Berlinetta's this year that should be quite special. For me, by Sunday afternoon, I've seen enough cars to hold me for another YEAR! So, this year, I'll likely be home on the couch on Sunday watching either Speed Channel or the Real Housewives of some city, having a great time! Or maybe, I'll just go take my Ferrari for a drive. Now THAT would be enjoyable! For more info, see www.pebblebeachconcours.net.

MONDAY - August 16

F40's and Ferrari Friends Track Event - Monday, August 16, 201 This is the Monday after the Monterey Motorsports Reunion/Concorso/Pebble Beach Concours weekend. There will be three run groups of no more than 20 cars each. A premier event with coaching, catering, and cajoling. And the sound limit is 103db (not the usual 92db). F40 owners unite with other Ferrari drivers!! Enzo would want you to do this. Drive the world famous Corkscrew, Andretti Hairpin, Rahal Straight - all challenging elements of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, just east of Monterey, CA NOTE: THE 103db LIMIT IS REAL AND REFLECTS A COUNTY ORDINANCE. COME PREPARED TO MAKE THIS SOUND LIMIT. Stock 360's and 430's should have no problem. Having said that, also be ready to have the time of your lives..... follow this link to sign up. Your entry will go into an event database so you'll then get updates as they occur. Contact Hooked on Driving at 925 552-8112 or go to....

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/F40's_and_Ferrari_Friends

2. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Invitation only? On a public street? I think not.
    Source: AutoWeek article from July 19th

Where did you hear it would be an invitation only event?

3. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Amazing synopsis of events. Thank you for putting this together.

4. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed - very good list. I particularly like the inclusion of Myles' opinion on the events, as well as the various details noted. The details above about the Carmel event concerns me though, as I was looking forward to going, then heard it was canceled, then heard it was back on in a reduced capacity, and now the post here indicates it is invitation only. If this turns out to be true, I will be disappointed when I take the day off work Tuesday only to find I cannot attend the event. It has been a favorite of mine in the past, mostly due to the eclectic mix of cars shown there. I am sure I will still enjoy the afternoon, because hey, I'll be off from work, but I will miss the event.

5. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    + 2

6. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    The Limited event that is taking place is open to spectators. The "Invitation Only" comment was in reference to the cars being shown.

Also, please note, the Wednesday Crossroads event, and the Thursday Chateau Julien events are for FCA members, or Ferrari Carmel members only.

M

7. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    All, It was brought to my attention by the FCA that the Crossroads Wine event on Wednesday, and the Thursday Concours at Chateau Julien, are open to FCA and Ferrari Carmel members only.

I should note, however, that the Crossroads Center is open to the public on Wednesday, however, you may be restricted from participating in the wine tasting and food if you're not a member, or have paid for the event.

Also, I believe you can purchase an admission ticket to the Thursday Chateau Julien Concours on the Chateau Julien website at www.chateaujulien.com if you are a Chateau Julien Wine Club Member.

Regards,
    M

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#8 dinogts, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010

The links contained on Singer's own site for the Automobilia Monterey Expo event appear to be broken. His own website lists it as the Embassy Suites causes the following message to appear:

"Sorry, we can't find "csolpweb13.hilton.com". We suggest that you check the spelling of the web address or search above."

Does anyone know where this is for sure? Is it in Monterey? (No, it isn't).

So, maybe next time Mr. Singer might want to provide the specific address and location on his website AND also provide the link. At least with a specific address you'd be able to find it regardless of a broken link.

In fact, there is no Embassy Suites in Monterey, it is in Seaside:

1441 Canyon Del Rey Boulevard
    Seaside, CA 93955
    (831) 393-1115

9. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

True. And, from what I hear if you bring a Lamborghini, be prepared to park it down the road with the Fords.