360 engine out service | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 engine out service

Discussion in '360/430' started by veloken, Jul 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wow, like I needed ANOTHER reason to avoid FOH.

But then again, they have to raise money to support the Risi racing team somehow.

Very informative thread....

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- Those newer WSMs cost money. No freebies so far. I have WSMs for the 612, F430, Superamerica and 575M, but all were expensive.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #28 Rifledriver, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
    Well actually they are. Doing everything you describe is not that difficult to do thoroughly and properly with the motor in place for a fraction of what they charge. The car was designed to allow full and complete servicing with the motor in place. In fact there are few serious repairs that cannot be performed with it in place. The fact that they convince you otherwise is where the "Rip off" takes place. It is a straight up lie. Makes no difference that they lie to you up front.

They are screwing you, you just choose to believe it. Do us all a favor and don't assume we are naive enough to believe it too.

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I guess the policy on 430s is to change the timing chain every 3 years.......you can't be too safe on that one.

5. senna01

senna01 Rookie

Mar 19, 2010
    canada
    Full Name:
    a j
    thats why people are scared of ferrari's...........

6. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #31 mrpcar, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When you hear things like that you just know they are full of ****. You can't just slip on a new belt, the main pulley blocks the timing belt, so if you have to take the main pulley off anyways, why the hell would you cut off the old belt?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. MarvelComics

MarvelComics Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2009
    LOL!

8. indydds

indydds Rookie

Jun 15, 2010
    Indiana
    While I understand that the recommendation is 3 years/15k, just wondering why these belts don't last longer. Heat degredation? I've changed timing belts on other vehicle but lets just say the interval was much longer. Is it simply that the risk of damaging these engines is so great the interval is very conservative? Just curious.

9. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    yes that is it.. it used to be 5 years.. they changed it to 3.. more sweet cash for the dealers!

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I wonder if this is a money play or truly the result of Ferrari's warranty experience. Unfortunately, there is no way to know which or if a combination. I've read that low miles between belt changes provide a risk profile similar to excessively high miles between belt changes, because the belts could take a "set" from non-use. So, just because you might not drive your car much, does not mean you should stretch your change interval. Perhaps those who drive their cars a moderate amount could go 4 or 5 years between changes, but the risk is entirely theirs. One thing is clear. A blown belt most likely will require a new engine at tens of thousands of dollars.

11. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I have photos from my trip to Wynn Ferrari of a 360's belts & seals being serviced ENGINE IN. Whether this is '02 & up I don't know... but I have seen it being done on some year of 360.