Major Belt service. Mileage rather than years? | FerrariChat

Major Belt service. Mileage rather than years?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Nikoskevlar, Apr 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nikoskevlar

Nikoskevlar Karting

Apr 16, 2010
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    M. squire
    I have a F355 99'. Recently purchased a week ago. The Major was done on 12/26/06. Mileage was at 19,313.

The car now has 33,500. Would it be who of me to do another major service? The clutch was also replaced during the last major.

Car runs great. I have put over 500 miles on the car in just three days of driving. The check engine light did come on, which is a P1448 code.

Clutch engages perfectly. However, if the car is running hard for 6-8 hours I was hearing a small rumble as I was getting ready to put the car in the garage. It was almost like the engine wasn't getting enough air?

I will be doing a full fluid change this weekend. Air filter, oil, transmission, (please include others).

Again, I am new to this all and would love some feedback.

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Uh oh....

:D :D :D

Jedi

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to some pictures of your car.

There are a lot of threads on when a major should be done. Ferrari used to recommend a 7 year time interval initially but changed that to a 3 year / 30,000 mile interval.

Lot of people use a 3 - 5 year or 30,000 mile interval. I serviced my 348 at the 4 year mark last year but will be doing a 5 year interval next time because I got a really comprehensive service done.

4. Nikoskevlar

Nikoskevlar Karting

Apr 16, 2010
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    M. squire
    A little more insight would be helpful

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    cat bypass flap circuit

6. Nikoskevlar

Nikoskevlar Karting

Apr 16, 2010
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    M. squire
    Thanks for the info. I was confused as to what Mileage would be ok. The car has been running like a champ the last 500 miles.

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is perhaps one of the most discussed topics in this forum. If you hit the "search"
    button on the top left and put in words like "belt" "change" "time" "miles" etc. you'll
    find a great many threads on this very topic. There is a WEALTH of information here,
    and much of it has been repeated for years, so that's a really great resource to start
    with.

Good luck in your search and with your new car - welcome to F-Chat!!

Jedi

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #8 tazandjan, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mark- Here is the official answer from FNA. Search for the rest of the story. Incidentally, you can change belts without doing a major. It is just that while the engine is out.....

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Nikoskevlar

Nikoskevlar Karting

Apr 16, 2010
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    M. squire
    Is that an expensive fix? Where is the circuit located? Is a new circuit needed, or can the present one be fixed? Is this type of work Something that can be quickly handled by a skilled DIY ferrari owner/mechanic?

I took the car through a powered car washer today. As the high pressure hit the rear end, the engine slowed down and SOUNDED like it wanted to quit. BUT, never did. After the water jets moved to the rest of the car it was perfect. Would that Cat Bypass Flap Circuit have anything to do with it?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    Mark- If you do not already have a 355 WSM, send me a PM with a mailing address and I will send you one for free. Only costs $0.81 to send.

Your engine may have sounded like it wanted to quit because the air charge it was getting was suddenly much more dense than before its bath. Be careful with high pressure water from car washes getting places you do not want it.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have posted what needs to be done, please PM me via email and I will give you my phone number and we can discuss it in greater detail. As I stated, there is a problem with your exhaust bypass valve or "circuit" as described above. I gave you all the possible items that could cause this problem...but you need further diagnosis to proceed and determine which of these items is causing the P code, and it appears this may be beyond your capability. I would highly recommend you stop driving the car, if the valve is stuck shut, it could cause serious engine damage.

Oh, and never use a pressure washer type jet to wash your car...that thing can force water into all sorts of places it should not go...the clutch housing, cam covers where the spark plugs reside, etc.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Changing fluids should be pretty straight forward, but if you have never done it before on a F355, you need to proceed with great care, and print out all the previously documented "DIY" articles on this forum before starting.

For the oil change, be sure you have the proper Purflux oil filter, and copper crush washers for both drain plugs, the remote sump and engine drain plug. Ricambi America has the proper parts. You should be changing the coolant, and power steering fluid as well. Again, recommendations on the proper fluids are in the DIY threads on this site.

To be honest, I am beginning to think the OP is not for real, and his posts are a joke...

13. Nikoskevlar

Nikoskevlar Karting

Apr 16, 2010
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    M. squire
    I will stop driving the car. But, its so hard just seeing it there begging to be driven. I think my Ferrari has a soul.

I will be taking it to a mechanic on Sunday. Does your Capristo Exhaust bypass valve mend this same problem I am having? I did a google search for that part with no luck. Where does someone pick up this part?

14. Nikoskevlar

Nikoskevlar Karting

Apr 16, 2010
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    M. squire
    I also forgot to mention, that my car has the Challenge exhuast system. Not sure if that makes any type of difference?

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    STOP. You don't even know if the valve is the problem...you have a P code...there are SEVERAL different items that can cause the code, which I listed previously for you. ONE of them is a defective exhaust bypass valve...but that is probably the least likely item to cause this code. Get a proper diagnosis, then buy parts. ;)

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    YES, YES, YES!

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #17 tazandjan, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    No, he is real. Just needs help. Good you have a handle on the problem, maybe. Does the Challenge exhaust even have a bypass valve?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #18 f355spider, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
    I spoke with Mark at length, and he is having a recently made friend with a 355 come over on Sunday to have a look see, and run some diagnostics. They have my number so I can walk them through some steps to narrow down the problem. I am thinking the problem lies with the cat ECU or thermo probe being the problem, rather than the bypass valve itself. There is also the remote possibility the vacuum line is broken or disconnected or the solenoid valve is bad, or the connection to the solenoid valve....all stuff to be inspected and checked. Of course I don't even know if the Challenge exhaust incorporates the valve or not...so that will be the first check! I would assume so, as he has records that all three cat ECUs where replaced/updated at the last major service.

19. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

:eek:OMG:eek:

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What makes you think that?