Just did my timing belts | FerrariChat

Just did my timing belts

Discussion in '308/328' started by flyngti, Sep 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    #1 flyngti, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This weekend, I replaced my timing belts and tensioner bearings. Thanks to Birdman's writeup and photos. Here're a few photos of why these items need to be replaced. The car has been in storage for almost 20 years and who knows when the belts were last done.

1) Old belt next to new belt. New is soft and flexible, old is hard and cracked
    2) Old tensioner bearings were destroyed on removal, grease was basically gone and bearing was nearly seized.

On another note, Birdman's doc says that the new tensioner bearings are split center race. I got mine from AW Imports and they have a one piece center. I don't think this matters at all but it's worth noting.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Wow! Too many years sitting around!!! Changing belts and tensioners is the first thing to do. Next, oils, hoses, alternator and water pump belt and what about the waterpump? Maybe is seized too! Check it!
    I liked to do all this by myself, but I don't have the appropiate working space -tools- and time to do it. What a pity!
    Good job again.

3. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Can you post pics your new tensioner bearings? Thanks.

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    job well done! did mine a couple of years back and got my tensioners from Hill Engineering.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yup, 20 years will do that!

6. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Very good on being able to DIY. How much for the parts?

7. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    If its anything like here about 10% of having it done in the shop.

8. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    #8 flyngti, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is not a great pic but you can see the inner race is indeed one piece and not split. The bearings were $75 each from AW Imports. The and the inner is marked:

LORETT ITALY BREDA 1431/04

9. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I too am really impressed. How did it go? Straightforward, or a bear?

10. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Never buy a Ferrari that has been in storage and just start it up! Cool thread.

11. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    The belt replacement in itself was pretty straightforward. The real PITA was just getting access. The A/C compressor and alternator need to be removed. On a '78, the alternator mounting nut is facing inward and there was no easy way to get at it. After removing the compressor, I had to remove the right fuel tank to be able to reach the nut to loosen the alternator. Still, it beats paying someone else to do it. Plus, I'm having a blast working on this car!

12. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #12 AZDoug, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    My alternator nut was inward also.

I pushed the alt all the way over and removed the two bolts holding the alt lower bracket to the motor block, then I removed everything, alt, lower bracket and tensioner arm as an assembly, and took the tension bolt assembly off, no need to remove tank that way.

After that, I modified the underside of the (new, longer) tensioner bolt so it would index in the tensioner bracket slot,and added a spacer in front,and now the nut is easily accessed from the front, with no need for a wrench at the rear of the alternator.

I didn't bother to reinstall the compressor. Maybe one day, but not now, as I have other projects planned that would require compressor removal again. I pushed silicone stoppers into the AC lines to keep contaminants out.

When the motor comes out for rebuild, two modifications I am going to make is to add terminal strips and sub harnesses to the alternator and starter, so i don't have to try and connect the wires at the rear of the alternator and starter, the wiring connections will be easily accessible from the front of the motor.

Doug

Doug

13. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Yeah, I was planning on some sort of modification to this before I put it back together. Do you have a picture of your mod?

14. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Did take a pic, what I did was mill the underside on the bolt head on both side of the bolt stud, about 3/32" deep such that the remaining material locks into teh slot.

Doug

15. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Can someone post the link to Birdman's writeup and photos? I searched the technical Q&A without success.

16. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac