Mondial T Cabriolet : question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial T Cabriolet : question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SonomaRik, Jul 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #26 SonomaRik, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks to Rifledriver on another matter today.

RD, had helped in the process of a person wanting a pristine Mondial T Cabriolet. This Cab, a 1989 with 1,400 MILES [IIRC] and a price [ I will NOT quote] was a garage queen. Absolutely, showroom condition.

RD took some pics of the interior, see the attached, where that car had ALL its extras to include tonneau top, shipping top and two buttons for those rear nibs.

RD stated, from when he remembered them arriving new in the shop, there were two, black, normal buttons on those nibs. The 'male' portion of the rear seatbelts, for whatever reason, came on those nibs, with the cap holding them in place [note also the Cavallino on button].

See the pic [especially note the Brand new leather look] which is from the Driver's, passenger side looking to the back, passengers side, and you can see the button still in place. Apparently those caps got displaced/lost over time for most of us.

I'm giving Ricambi a call for 2-4 of them and stick them on...documentation and all :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #27 SonomaRik, Aug 19, 2008
  3. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Hey that is how I used them...what do I win? :)

4. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    grrrr....could have posted da' pics earlier of yours ......

5. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    #30 MondialTCab, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
    No I could not...see post 17, I converted my rear belts to 4 pointers for the kids so now they just are clips that my kids like to take on and off and have no real use in my car, not even the belt holder! Apparantly, the Nintendo DSes hang from them nicely but since I don't sit there, I could not confirm.

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    You did the same thing Dave [lusso] did about changing belts to 4 pointers.....

Any pics of that? would be nice to see

r

7. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Yep, we chatted about it before he did it...I found a pic of his in this thread
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148386&highlight=mondial+seatbelt

and mine in this thread...
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100299

pretty sure I posted this in the FChat archives with more pictures in the engine compartment but I did not see it when I looked a few minutes ago. Defintely a worthwhile mod in my opinion as the kids really dig belting themselves down for spirited driving.

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Seems the '89 cabs are much easier than the '90+ years, as the middle portion is very narrow. So long ago, forgot I replied to that posting....aw, age....

9. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Tell me about it...I feel like I am aging faster than that car! Probalby why I gave up on fitting my posterior into the stock seats and put Sparco Milano Prestige's in there...I fit so much better in the car now. As for the belts, I would figure the mod would work on the 90+ as well...didn't the base stay the same with the belt box "swelling" above the seats? Honestly can't remember as it has been a while since I lost my '92...can't say I miss that goofy mouse-belt setup! And talk about worthless snaps on the car...those belt hangers on the by the rearview mirror could hold next to nothing.

10. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #35 D.Mauro, Aug 19, 2008
    Rik, here is a top you need for sunny days in No Cal, better fit with the top down.

11. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    #36 MondialTCab, Aug 19, 2008
    My Milanos...don't think I ever posted a shot up here on these. That top is cool...I especially like the hold downs on the handle as opposed to having nothing there on the SpiderTop that I have from Ricambi...which is a lot easier to store/use than the OEM tonneau that I used for years.

12. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It fits better with the top down, it also has straps in the back to tie down on the engine boot. I take a few pictures when the weather clears, been raining here a few days.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #38 SonomaRik, Aug 20, 2008
    Two of the most worthless pieces of engineering I've encountered: Those flimsy mirror hangers for seats...what were they thinking?

Yes I've actually purchased that item too, but I have a new pattern in the process where the front is longer and seated under the front hood cover. I've put a notch in the middle that misses the center post for the front hood, and the front piece creases nicely into that 'grove' where the hood seats. I've extended the rear to match the cover and attach onto the existing chrome snaps. I've extended the sides to cover the windows better...wife doing the sewing.....

Hope to final product soon. My problem with the one I bought was the sides were short, the rear didn't match up and the front was short allowing Sun on the leather and the windshield wipers were a pain with the cutouts not exactly matching.

The difficult part for me right now is how to get some rubber parts onto the existing chrome snaps. Had a guy in SoCal with the original snaps which I was going to use, but decided to leave the leather roof-cover on, So, trying to find something that will go on the snaps....WILL FIND.

This will allow the car to be outside, after a 'hot' run so it can cool down, but be protected from the Sun, just like yours is.

14. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    #39 MondialTCab, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
    Something I was pondering for a long time but never pulled the trigger on because they wanted to drill the dash to install snaps was a tonneau along the lines of the old British cars...one that would cover just the interior at the beltline and unzip in the middle so you could drive with it in place. Imagine your top Rik but not going over the windshield but going under it. The idea was to drive with the top down in cooler weather...which is pretty much summer up here in the NW! What do you guys think about that?

15. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #40 D.Mauro, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
    I will take some better pictures when the weather clears.

I was thinking about the same thing, but kind of hard to do.

16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #41 hank sound, Aug 20, 2008
    Hey Rik,

If your Spider Top didn't fit perfectly with the top down and the tonneau in place - like mine (see pic), PM me your ph # - we'll talk and I'll gladly replace it for you if it doesn't fit the way it should.

Cheers, Hank

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    that was you ?....didn't know that. I mailed the item to the SoCAL person, with the changes mentioned in the drawing over a year ago. he flaked out, and with it my pattern. SO: I've resigned myself to have wife and I just do it again on our own....

don't worry about it, water under the bridge and all...Kind of looking fwd to my design now...just gotta drag out the sewing machine this winter when she will be more homebound as I.