Weekend at Willow Springs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Weekend at Willow Springs

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by plugzit, Nov 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Be careful...negative camber should be approached gradually. Your increase in speed and therefore force you put on the tires and the feedback (wear) you get in the tires will help you determine camber. If your tires are rolling over and wearing outside some negative may help but it could be tire pressures and or suspension. Unless bushings are near solid camber can correct for some deflections. If you are too negative you could loose top end speed stability and decrease braking stability so be careful of the tradeoffs. I say work on ride height/chassis rake then corner weight then align to get the most out of your visit to the alignment guy. If glenn does not have scales call west end alignment in gardena ca.. Darin is really good.

I bet that scared bruce. I bet he will be on his oem 355C wheels from his street car when we hit the track next unless he finds a set of 355c wheels. We are going to fill up the Kinesis wheel cracks with JB weld and sell them on Ebay! Just kidding...

2. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Thanks, I'll give Darin a call, one stop shop! I have the ride height and rake just where I want it, and the new coilovers and springs setup is a VAST improvment on the track over the Koni's. Corner weighting is next, and the camber (from my research) is hard to get negative enough on 308s (for the track). By the feel on the track, and reading the wear on the tires, I think perhaps the rear camber is good now, but the front ??? The fronts are nearly neutral while the rear is visibly negative since the lowering ( difference in the control arm geometrey front vs rear, no doubt) Also, though the steering "feel" is very neutral on the track (ie: understeer/oversteer) when it begins to break loose and drift under power, the front washes first. Hence.

NICE ! how's your feedback score? ROFLMAO

3. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    OK Boys, It is ON again.

Who is coming out to the 3/1 - 3/2 FCA Pantera club track days. All the usual suspects I hope.

I just booked a room and am signed up, I know PenP and "the obese william robert" will be there, who else is coming?

Luckydynes ? Plugzit (are you coming to 2/2 alfa club Willow Streets event also?) CmJames63 ? Stickchick? who else ?

These Saxton events are truly a good time, come play (or at least grab a shotgun ride along),(dinner @ Barone's ??)

-Luigi

4. skyhigh

skyhigh Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    SoCal
    Is it open to any car? Big track or Streets?

5. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Any car that passes tech req (no open wheel machines or spyders with no rollbar) ...BIG TRACK.

6. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    When I can find a car that will let me run 1:31s (time I used to run with the Ducati there), I'll come down, but I don't think that the 430 can get close to that time.

Art

7. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I don't think anything with 4 wheels could match that lap time (maybe an Ariel Atom or a Radical ?) But hey, you oughta be able to at least run low 1:40's in the 430, bring it up !!! Heck, I have a blast running 1:45+ in my yestertech 308 !!

8. SKXF430

SKXF430 Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    W. Los Angeles
    here is a video of Craig Stanton running in the 1:28's in a modified Lotus Elise.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZJb0I74x3Rs

9. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Pardon ME, I guess I stand corrected....guess I should have included Lotus Exige & Elise..... (God I love the track).

Man......Schumacher-esq driving at the edge of grip..(just like ME...NOT !!!!) very cool.

10. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    So,

A challenge to all you So Cal Canyon Racer boys........COME ON MAN...Show UP !!!

11. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    What's interesting about that is the lack of acceleration, but he's got huge cornering speed. The bikes don't corner as well, but they accelerate much, much better. Current bikes are now running 1:18s, I believe. I ran 31s in the late 80s. The tires got better, and they got more HP to make the difference. Would be fun to bring the 430 down, maybe in march.

Art

12. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    How much is the event and how do I sign up? I think I have that weekend free. You don't think they'd mind a little ol' Alfa race car? Do they have a race group as well?

13. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Call Jim Saxton
    (626) 285-2024
    [email protected]

I think its 245.00 (used to be 225) for both days, plus $25 for race group entry (and 15 bucks to tech at the track) Would be good to see more Italian race machines out there, you go. Talk to fatbillybob and me about it @ the 2/2 AROSC school ? but sign up quick, it ALWAYS fills up.

BTW (everyone) I hear there is still a slot or 2 open at the 2/2 Alfa club driving school, and I have an extra room reserved @ the Devonshire in Rosamond for Fri/Sat of that weekend. Rooms are scarce because of some soccer-fest, so opportunity knocks. PM me if interested, look here http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/arosc-alfa-romeo-owners-club-southern-california/53011-arosc-driving-school-feb-08-a.html (their server is slow, hang out, It'll load eventually)

14. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi

Thought I would bump this. It seems there are quite a few slots open in the beginer / novice classes, so if anyone is on the fence about getting on the track for the first time this would be THE PRIMO instruction event to do it. Lots of instruction, theory, skid pad exercises, & track time on the very technical "Streets of Willow" track. Time is short so if interested jump on it soon, and call Steve Hamilton (see the entry form on the link above). That room reservation is still avail also, PM me.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Anthony,

I forget the price but like an AROSC event. Racing the ALFA is fine. The race group is I think I remember correctly.. Saturday: one or two am practice, Race right after lunch grid by session laptimes very informal. Sunday: race groups is open passing like race practice no gridded race. But I don't see why we can't have one. Someone needs to talk to Jim about that. Cars are faster than AROSC events. There is always at least one fast P-bug, several 500+hp panteras, a couple fast mustangsshelby what evers, and requiste vettes and maybe a viper. There are always a couple slow cars miatas etc... More cars are in the red race group than grid for the race. Maybe 80% of the red group cars actually race. I'll be there of course trying to race.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I am sure it can because I can get to 1:39 in my 348 and the last time I was on track with a pair of 430C's they made me dizzy lapping me. I think they were somewhere around 1:2x and they were not even pushing it. Bring out the 430 we need more drivers!

17. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    thought I should bump this, this is a killer opportunity http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/477838-post19.html

18. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

My 911 does 1:31's :(

Think I could get my 308 down to 1:35's if I had big enough attachments :)

I'll be happy with a 1:40 though.

Might have to make this one :)

Sean

19. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
  20. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    One last bump just to let you know I'm cancelling my resv @ Devonshire. That room will go quick so if your on the fence call them tonight.

BTW, Who is coming out to the 3/1 - 3/2 FCA Pantera club track days ?

See ya at the track.

-Luigi

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

I'll be at both

22. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    REALLY.... who wuddah thought, FBB at the track?!?!

See ya there.

23. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I just called Jim . . there's still room . . what run groups are you guys in?

I was in the advanced run group last time and had to stay out of the way out of the Carrera GT's and stuff :). Definitely kept me on my toes.

Sean

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Go in the group that is the race group. You can run open passing in that group during practice and just pay less and not do the race. I thought that was the advanced group? Red group I thought? Anyway a bunch of guys are in my group but only about half of them actually join the race. So whatever group that is. Oh, and there are always fast cars at this event. You will never be the fastest guy there. The levels are more for track experiance rather than speed. See you there.

25. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hey Sean,

Fatbillybob is in race (red) group, I'm Yellow run group (but not for long, been training :)

Here is a little video from Race School last weekend in the rain. What a blast !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htLrC-H-ISo