355 left rear wheel bearing replacement needed | FerrariChat

355 left rear wheel bearing replacement needed

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cinquevalvole, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Hi FChatters,

my wheel bearing (rear driverside) seems to be gone. :(
    My independent shop master told me today his source has difficulties to find a original replacement part.
    (they asked normally 450 €).
    Any informations or a good source for this 355 wheel bearing???
    Sorry, I can't find the part number in my pdf files (workshop manual). Not even a drawing or foto. Thanks for any clue!

cinquevalvole

(car on the lift)

2. russell

russell Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    sacramento
    Full Name:
    russell
    i think we have onw in stock off a car broke for parts. IF intersted email me [email protected] just one of many sources for new and used parts

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'm not totally possitive on the 355, but it should be similar to the later 348's. I did the bearings on my car earlier this year. The standard bearing is made by SKF. I don't have the exact bearing number in front of me right now, but I'll post it later. I bought my bearings from a company here in the U.S., named Applied, for $105 each. Here is the link to their website:
    http://www.bearingsinc.com/
    Just give them the number off the side of the bearing and they can get it. They got mine in about 4 days.

4. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay hear is the bearing number:

SKF 62209-2RS1

The bearing that I actually pulled off was SKF 62209-2RS2. So the new one was off only one number. I think it is just a new manufacturing number for SKF. When the bearings came in the guy at the shop mic'd them to make sure they were the same measurments as the old ones, and they were. The new ones went on with no problems.

5. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Hey Ernie, Just a quick question on your bearings. What was the mileage on the old bearings and what was the condition of the old one. Only asking for future reference. regards, vern

6. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The milage was about 62,000. The condition, they were JACKED. Well at least the inner bearing was. The lock nut that holds the axle connecting flang together got loose. So the bearing got cockeyed little by little. I had to get a new connecting flang as a result, because the bearing worn down the sides. New from the dealer they wanted $1,450. But I found a used one at a nice savings. It was out of wack so bad that one of the bolts from the CV joint was hitting one of the bolts on the retaining cap for the inner bearing. So I would here this knocking when I would turn right. Anyway, I was using a hydrolic puller capable of 15,000 psi. I think I had it at around 9,000 psi and the bearing STILL would not budge. So we had to heat it up with the hot wrench to get it to come loose.

What you want to look for is any play in the bearing at all. The bearing should have zero play. If you can get it to wiggle, its time to change it.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Am I right in saying that Ferrari doesn't sell just the bearing as a spare part and that you need to buy the whole assembly? That's what I recall. One of mine went, but I did both figuring that if one goes, the other can't be far behind. Mine was nothing near as bad as you describe though.

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Actually they do sell the bearings separate. What is surprizing is that the bearings from the dealer weren't much more. I think the dealer wanted $118 for each bearing. So I saved about $26.

I just wanted to say that the bearing number I gave was for a '90 348. So just make sure you get the right bearing for the 355. The later 348's had the same rear wheel hub as the 355's, so I think you may only need one bearing, maybe. But if you need two just replace them both. The best thing is, to just take the old one/s out and match it up.

9. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Cinquevalvole

If you have any doubts about what you need just remove the old one and read the identification numbers and Manufacturer name. Most suppliers of bearings or bearing manufacturers have a cross reference list that will give you an exact match for several manufacturers. I have done this in the past with several gearbox bearings and at that time went to a *** bearing supplier, The prices are much lower too.

10. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did it come in a pink box? Hahahahahaaaaa. I couldn't resist.:D

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That's was I did. SKF is a pretty common bearing, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

12. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    We found a used bearing and could replace the broken one yesterday. :)
    In Germany, this 355 SKF part seems to be available only by official ferrari dealers. (Part# 157900 ?)
    They usually rip you.
    Mille grazie for all your support! Fotos will appear later.

forza

cinque

13. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    #13 cinquevalvole, Jul 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    comments to the pics:

- center nut
    - center nut open, caliper gone
    - view from inside, note the bolts to open
    - caliper, bearing and parking brake dismanteld

- broken bearing (3 pics)

Parking brake parts are fuzzy to get them all together again in right order.
    The rest is could be a simple DIY-job - when everything moves open easily :D

forza

cinque
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey nice job!

So what was the number on the bearing?

15. fana355france

fana355france Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    Ok ernie I red the posts and your PM
    but at the end of this post you ask the question too if it was the correct serial number so I thought you werent shure of it.
    You seam to be shure no ? mine doesnt have this number but I can not read it because the number is deamaged, it seam shorter...but it is a skf...

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

17. fana355france

BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    yes it is the good ferrari part number and in france it cost 431 Euros, but I want the SKF bearing number I want to change only the bearing.

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Just pull the old bearing off and take it to a bearing shop. That is what I did. When you take it there, they will measure it, then look up the part number in their book. When the new bearing comes in take the old one and match it up. That's it.

There are different manufacture of bearings. So if they can't get you a SKF bearing they can get you one from a different manufacture with the same measurements.

Or you can just order the bearing numbers given and match them up. I'm 99.9% sure it will be the correct size bearing.

19. fana355france

BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    I found the begining of the ref of mine, cleaning it.
    It is somethin like this BAR-0011A skf italy but Im not shure of the "11" it is hard to read...I would like to pull it off but if i damage it, Ferrari is closed for 1 month so i could not have it if the bearing dealer can not find it...

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Dont' worry about breaking it, if it's already broken. Capiche.

Use a good puller, some heat, and the bearing should come out fairly easy. Make sure you are heating the housing and not the bearing. You want the housing to expand from the heat, not the bearing to expand inside the housing.

Even if you get the entire number off the bearing, you are still going to have to take the old one out and match it up with the new one. Soooooo............. put out the old bearing.

21. fana355france

BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    of course I will have to remove the old one to put the new, I have all tools needed to remove it .
    The thing is: the bearing needed grese and was not too noisy, there is no damages into it that I can see...so If i remove it and can not order for a new one I will lose time. For the moment I can still use my car puting the old one regreased waiting for the new one.
    I would prefer to order for the new and when received I will change it...becaus if I dont find it I wont have my ferrari before ferrari open the store nex month ! And the sun is shining ! imagine the sun and a car that I could not take !!!
    The ref 622092rs1 seam not to be the good one, it represent one of the 2 bearing of the 348..the 355 have a single bearing with 2 duble row balls and only one flange.
    I have too a 360 modena damaged bearing in my garage and saw it was nearly same lik 355, the ref is 13AR-0035 or BAR-0035 I dont know if it is a "B" or a "I3"..
    nobody changed his 355 bearing !!
    bye nico

22. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Hi,

Did anyone ever find out the part number for this bearing, I need to locate one for a friend!

Thanks,
    Phil.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so 6 years later, can someone confirm this part number and if good replacement for the Ferrari 355 bearing assembly? each bearing is up to range of $1,700 or so now, if a good alternative exists at reasonable price that would be great. thanks!

24. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #24 Steve Magnusson, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    The SKF suffix difference (-2RS1 vs -2RS2) indicates a difference in the "rubber" material used within the bearing seals:

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?newlink=1_0_170&lang=en&maincatalogue=1

Could be that F specified an exotic grease that needed the (more chemically-resistant) RS2 seals, or they might have wanted a seal material with a higher temperature capability (e.g., assuming the brakes get cooked hard), or needed less friction in the seals to get another 0.1 mph ;). The problem with substituting bearings is that it's relatively easy to match up the basic size/style by number which is usually shown on the bearing itself (i.e., the 62209-2RS2 in this case), but there's a whole bunch of "options" that get specified in an alphanumeric soup of other "supplementary designations" that usually only appears on the customer's purchase order -- for grease type, amount of grease, internal clearance, special tolerances, etc.. That link is only for the SKF supplementary designations starting with the letters P thru S -- if you want to see the myriad of other possible supplementary designations click on the "A-B", "C", "D-F", etc. links shown on that page. Not every supplementary designation is applicable to every bearing type, but a ~20 character bearing part number is not uncommon.

With that said, if your choice is $1700 for the official F part vs a couple of hundred $ for a more generic 62209-2RS1 with a typical grease type and loading -- I'd probably try the generic 62209-2RS1 -- JMO.

I think a lot of the non-official F parts suppliers make bearing substitutions and really don't know if they are truly matching the exact alphanumeric soup.

25. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #25 JeremyJon, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011