002C | Page 9 | FerrariChat

002C

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Jan 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, Damn, Damn. All I can think of is the Jimmy Buffett line about Patsy Cline, "I hang on every line."

Dr "Art is art" Who

2. udalmia

udalmia Guest

great to see the progress jim!

3. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Wasn't here for a long time, because my specialized period (1947-51) handled not often. Logged in today in order to ask something about the Spyder Corsas, and was highly surprised to find this thread. Stunning, indeed...!

Don't know where to start - so first something easy, the logo on the car. It's the logo of the Scuderia Besana, the private team of brothers Soave and Gabriele Besana, blue blooded (counts), and heirs to their family's candy factory. Soave (the elder) was the legal owner of both cars, #002C and sister car #004C.

I highly appreciate that Jim is not carrying forward one of the former owner's myth that #002C is based on #01C, in fact when #002C first appeared at Modena in 1947 old #01C was driven in the same race by Ferdinando Righetti (no, it was not #02C!).

#002C in fact was the first ever Ferrari sold, after the Torino race win Raymond Sommer wanted to buy it for himself, but Enzo refused because he wanted the car to stay in Italy. He alternatively offered to Sommer a semi-works driver status for 1948 (Sommer never was full works driver during his long career, because he always wanted to keep his independance). The deal with the Besanas as far I know had been done in November 1947, if anybody has more accurate details I would highly be interested. Gabriele took the car then to Argentina for the Temporada races, if I remember correctly it was shipped early December, somewhere in my files I even have the name of the steamer.

By the way, the photo posted by Boudewijn is in fact captured "Mar del Plata", however, based on the scenery I believe it is Buenos Aires. It is sometimes doubted that Gabriele also took #002C to the following races at Brazil, but here's the prove:

[​IMG]

It's a cut-out from the starting scene of the "Grande Prêmio de Interlagos" at Sao Paulo on 21 March 1948.

After the last Temporada race on 12 April the car was shipped home to Italy, whereas Gabriele took a plane in order to arrive in time to accompany his brother with #004C at the Mille Miglia.

[​IMG]

#002C after arrival at Genova was carried to Maranello for upgrading to tipo 166 specification, as she still had the original 159 engine. The full 2 litre 166 only came in early 1948, it was Colombo's first job after his return to Ferrari in January. By the way, #004C was a 166 already from the beginning. Some minor other changes had been done also, the old 8-bar grille was slightly damaged and exchanged against a new one with 9 bars and integrated crankhole, an aerodynamic mirror was fixed, and the bonnet was held with 2 additional straps to the nose. These changes can be perfectly spotted on this picture, taken during the "Gran Premio di Mantova" (Coppa G. & A. Nuvolari) on 13 June 1948.

[​IMG]

First race of #002C after that upgrade was at Bari on 30 May, where she was driven by Brazilian driver Chico Landi. The story behind that is rather interesting, if somebody is interested I will post it here.

Both cars then had been raced by the Besana brothers during the 1948 season, #002C preferably as single-seater in F2, and #004C as long-distance sports car. Interesting the following photo from Pescara (15 August) with #002C in the middle between the works cars #012I and #014I (with the horseshoe grilled #010I in the background). One can clearly spot the nose difference between the early #002C and the later SC's.

[​IMG]

19 Sept 1948 - Gran Premio di Napoli (sports cars), wings and lamps fitted, this time Soave at the wheel (behind him Raymond Sommer's SWB works car #008I):

[​IMG]

And here again in F2 configuration with Gabriele at Firenze on
    26 September:

[​IMG]

At the end of the season both brothers realized that their capabilities as race drivers had not been very encouraging, so #004C was sold to Franco Mosters. #002C they kept for sporadic sports car racing.
    The "egg-crate" grille which can be seen on the MM 1949 pictures was no specific #002C detail. During the winter 1948/49 Ferrari introduced this new front design to the monoposti cars, and also the 3 1948 GP cars had been converted, as well as all SC's (except #016I which was in America, and #010I). Don't believe this has something to do with better cooling, it was simply some kind of "corporate identity".

In 1950 the Besanas stopped racing completely, and #002C was converted to a road car by mounting the already discussed Motto barchetta body. At the same time Biondetti built his Jaguar Special, and it is in fact my theory that he used the obsolete bodywork of #002C for this. This theory is also backed by the fact that Biondetti had rather good relations with the Besanas, it was he who raced #002C at Senigallia in 1949. However, it is not true that this special was based on a Ferrari chassis, in fact it was a mix from Maserati, Jaguar, and specially built "Biondetti" parts. I also do not consider the "Biondetti Jaguar Special" which appeared some years ago at the MM Storica as genuine. But that's another story.

There's a lot more information about #002C of course, but it would make this posting much too long. Of course Stan Nowak was involved in her later history, and it was Stan who put together some nice storys about her. Before he found #002C he restored #004C and sold it as "oldest Ferrari in existance" (against a premium of $ 500...!), so for #002C he tried this again - by increasing the premium to $ 1000. Have to check my files to put this complicated puzzle together again.

Well, but now to my original topic for which I logged in.
    Since 5 years now I'm researching the racing history of the Spyder Corsas, only to find out now that the designation "Spyder (Spider) Corsa" obviously never was an original factory name. Here's the scan of a Ferrari folder published in December 1947:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No doubt, Ferrari offered this car as "166 Inter", a designation which later was used for the roadgoing touring car...! I checked a lot of contemporary newspapers and magazines, but with only minor results. In Italy it was always "tipo 166" or "Ferrari 2000", but in France even in 1949 it was described as "166 Inter" (with the touring car named "166 Sport"). Rogliatti in his 1993 book talks about "166 Inter Sport", and there a some signs that the sports car version with wings and lamps was "166 Inter Sport", and the stripped F2 version "166 Inter Corsa". But there never had been 2 different models, it was always the same car.

I always wondered why between #004C and #006I the serial numbers changed from "C" to "I", but my theory is that #002C was originally a "159 Corsa", and #004C - which was started around November 1947 - also was a "Corsa" model. In December they changed the designation to "166 Inter" (see the folder), and all new cars hence had the "I" as ending. The reason may be that at this time they also started to build the Grand Prix prototype, which of course was a "Corsa" model (#02C), so the 2-seaters must be renamed. "Inter" was a suitable name, because the car could be used in the International Formula 2, and in the International sports car formula.

For me now without doubts the official designation of the "SC" was "166 Inter", but I have no idea when and by whom the "Spyder Corsa" was brought up. When in fall 1948 the road car "166 Inter" was introduced the "SC" was already out of production, so the factory most probably had nothing to do with it anymore.
    Any ideas and/or info about this?

4. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Sorry, but I've written some nonsens. Righetti's car at Modena 1947 of course was #02C, and not #01C!
    In the 2nd half of August (after Pescara) Luigi Bazzi (Ferrari's chief engineer) reportedly crashed #02C during a test run, sustaining a broken leg which put him out of action until the end of November. It seems that the new 159 engine then was put into the other roadster #01C, which should be Righetti's car for Modena. Righetti crashed #01C during testing on 21 September at Stella di Ligorzano, and it was not possible to repair the car in time. Therefore Righetti had to race #02C which in the meantime had been repaired, and therefore looks different than at Pescara 5 weeks earlier. This car at Modena was equipped with the old 125 (1.5 litre) engine, it is reported that there was not enough time to put the engine from damaged #02C to #01C. However, I do not believe this, because one week surely is enough to swap engines, so there must have been another reason. Could it be that the engine was also damaged / cracked as a result of the accident? Or could it have been politics towards the race classes? Cortese with the new Spyder Corsa (or better said "Inter") started in the 2 litre class, so possibly Ferrari tried a win also in the 1.5 litre class.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Michael

Thank you so much for your post.
    I have a copy of the original CERTIFICATO D'ORIGINE and DICHIARAZIONE VERBALE DI VENDITA signed by Enzo which I will scan and post on Monday.
    On those documents my car is listed as:

"Marca: "FERRARI"-Tipo: 166-INTER
    Telaio: N. 002
    Motore:N. 002
    HP. 23
    CARROZZERIA SPYDER CORSA
    POSTI 2

(Sale Price 1.500.000 Lira)

You are right about the 159 as well as 002C still has 159 stampings on the Webbers.

Thnks Again and Best.

Jim

6. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Hello Jim, that was fast...!
    Yes, I really would like to see that, you can mail me at [email protected]
    I'm sure you know the story of your car quite well, however, if I can add something I would be pleased. Still have some other photos in my archive which I may mail you in case of interest.

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks! I would very much like photo's. I'll email you on Monday.
    Best

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Raises hand.

Didn't realize all were not original spec, but later upgrades - thank you.

*weeps*

This is a most interesting subject, given the adaptation of the name to one marques "star-child" or another. As such, I'm also trying to get to the root, albeit without extensive knowledge or resources which you've gone to great depths or pains to acquire, and thankfully, share.
    __

'Napolis - for a man, this is TLC. The care and feeding of 002C, it's younger sister and her cohorts. Thank you.

9. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Well, the car's title which Jim has obviously contains the solution. The car itself was a "166 Inter", but the type of bodywork they named "Spyder Corsa". Somewhere later, when the touring car "Inter" was introduced, the racing Inters most probably were called "Spyder Corsa" in general in order to make a difference. Astonishing enough that nearly nobody remembers that the original and official designation was "166 Inter".

By the way, the title resp. c/o I estimate dates from November 1947, is that correct? If so it would confirm that already then a 166 engine was fitted, which is strange as acc. to Colombo's memories this was the first project he got on the drawing board when he - officially - returned to Maranello in early January 1948. The planning to increase from 1.9 to 2.0 litres however was somewhat older, Busso tried it before but without any major changes in design he reached only 1.9 litre. But possibly the deal included the upgrade to 166 already, but physically done at a later date only.

The Bari GP was also named "Coppa Brasile", there had been traditionally strong relations between Bari resp. the Puglia region and Italian emigrants in Brazil. Landi's family also originated from Italy, as did the Fittipaldi family. Wilson Fittipaldi, the father of Emerson, did the live radio race coverage at Bari for the Brazilian broadcast.

The following I quote from a mail received by fellow historian Alessandro Silva from Italy:

“Chico” Landi had arrived, very characteristically, with a Maserati 4CL in tow, not knowing that the race was reserved for F2 cars. A Bari Grand Prix could not be a true one without a Brazilian driver, and this fact was immediately pointed out to the organisers. After a colourful discussion between the Brazilian group and the officials of the Bari Auto Club, the latter decided to cancel one of the Besana brothers’ entries. Then it was suggested to the brothers that they should loan one of their cars to Landi. Negotiations started and of course the Besanas were at first indignant, demanding one million lira for their trouble. After long negotiations, which lasted well into the night before the race and prevented Landi from taking part in practice, an agreement was reached for the sum of 600,000 liras for the entry and the loan of Soave’s car, 002C. He would then drive Gabriele’s 004C in the race. This successful ruse made the Bari Auto Club president Mr. Chieco even more popular with the Brazilians who invited him to their country - where he was princely received at the end of the year.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi
    The date on the document is: "30 Dicembre 1947"
    Best

11. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    That's rather strange, because at that date #002C was in the belly of a steamer somewhere on the Atlantic...!
    Searched my notes for finding the date of shipment and name of vessel, but could not find it. First race in Buenos Aires was on 18 January (Gran Premio del General Juan Perón y de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires), so I doubt that it is possible that such a long journey could be made in 18 days.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #212 PSk, Apr 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ... gee it must be great to own such an interesting piece of automotive history.

Comparing noses:

1. We have original nose (but modified, Michael Müller: the old 8-bar grille was slightly damaged and exchanged against a new one with 9 bars and integrated crankhole):
    [​IMG]

2. MM (better looking) nose:
    [​IMG]

3. Restored nose (1983, which is nothing like the original nose IMO):
    [​IMG]

Attached below in the above order, and photos obtained from the image links.

Can't wait to see it with the new nose ... :)
    Pete
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    #213 Michael Muller, Apr 17, 2005
  14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I notice too that the 1983 (photo'ed) bodies hood scope is incorrect. Shows only 1 horizontal slat instead of 2 and is visibly smaller.

I notice also that the MM bodied version of the car has a bonnet length hood scope ... not the shorter version that was orginal.

It's just a fantastic time piece :).
    Pete

15. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    #215 Michael Muller, Apr 18, 2005
    The body which was rebuilt by Stan Nowak in the 60's used that of sister car #004C as model (photo below when found in 1964 in France). However, also #004C had the 1949 egg-crate grille, so in order to recreate the 1947/48 original version they had to use photos.

16. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    At this time I'd like to raise my hand and request that the next historically signifigant automobile JG purchases be completely clear in title and history.. between 0846, J6 & 002C I can't keep it all straight (but I'm loving it!)

Michael, thank you for all of the info and I'd also like to hear the Chico Landi story if you'd care to share it.

It's amazing to think that I've treated some of my cars the same way that the masters did- turn it over for a buck, discard it for something newer, help a friend out, etc. Hindsight is always 20/20.

-Chris

17. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Chris, the Landi-Bari story I posted already in #209.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There are some of us who have come to believe that everything in the Ferrari records are not exactly correct.

Take 0846 for example. There are some, for example who believe that 0846
    was completely destroyed in the Le Mans fire of 67. I remember Harley Cluxton exclaiming in a loud voice at Leguna last summer that: "I spoke to Chris Amon. He told me the car (0846) burned completely to the ground. There was nothing left!!!"

There is a photo of 0846 on the morning after the fire at Le Mans 1967 which I recently was directed to and have added to the 0846 document in Rossa.

The copyright is held by British Pathe. I have licensed it's use.

You can believe Harley or you can believe your eyes...

19. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    History research is never easy and simple. There are primary, secondary and tertiary sources. "Primary A" for me are only contemporary photos and documents like contracts or invoices, "primary B" are contemporary press articles and event documents. "Secondary" sources are personal statements from persons directly involved, but made much later than the event itself, and "tertiary" sources for me is anything which has been published later than one year after it happened.

First rule is: mistrust every tertiary source, if it is not proven by primary A documents. You all know quite well that a lot has been written about Ferrari in the last 40 years, probably there are more publications than cars built. But also a lot of nonsense has been written, even by wellknown and professional authors. I have my own ranking list for authors, where a 5 means "not worth to read it", and a 1 "hey, may be I'm wrong". Especially the combination of "history" and "commerce" sometimes is rather unhealthy.
    Secondary sources like memoirs and personal rememberings are interesting, but must be taken into account very carefully. It is extremely difficult to remember details which happened decades ago, try it by yourself, you will be surprised. As an example, Colombo in his memoirs writes that Bruni Sterzi at Garda 1948 had the chance to drive a works F2 monoposto, but I have a photo showing him in his privately owned Spyder Corsa (or better "Inter") # 006I.
    Even "primary B" documents can be faulty, original entry lists and race programmes normally are edited weeks before the race, so they are never a prove. I even came across an official race result report (that's the paper the clerk of the course has to issue for the FIA) which was faulty, because it showed the name of the originally entered driver instead that of the reserve driver who in fact participated in the race.

Main source for my research are always contemporary photos, and after a certain time each car is as individual as a fingerprint. You know each rivet, dent, or scratch, and if you connect these photos with all other information available you will end with a car log which comes as close as possible to the truth.

Chassis numbers itself are always a very fragile and unreliable thing. Especially in the pre-EEC period each race car crossed the border needed a so-called "Carnet", which was a customs document allowing the temporary import of a car. It was usual practice to swap chassis plates between identical cars in order to avoid issuing a new Carnet. So sometimes a car crossed the border with a serial number of a sister car which had been scrapped months ago already.

You also have to consider that in those times no entry form required the serial number, nobody cared, for what? The drivers and the mechanics normally had their own internal nicknames for the cars, and if they used the telaio as designation - do you really think somebody would be able to remember this after decades?

20. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Many people want to see things that arent there. Many people make mistakes when copying information. Some people seem to be very poor with numbers, handwriting (especially handwriting used in a different country at a different time) and dates. Many people correct things that make no sense to them. Then when there are problems the same people claim that the bloody macaroonies can't make anything right.

It should be remembered that meanwhile a car can't be raced before it has been built, it is perfectly possible to sell a car at *any* time; every so often contracts of all kinds are written weeks after decisions, so a car may very well have been on its way to the other side of the world when the papers were made. Especially in this case getting the car shipped to South America may have been more urgent that making of some bloody papers.

Years later people often remember damage much worse than it actually was. It is a human mind thing, really. Few scratches on a front fender easily turn into completely mangled bodyworks and so on. Another problem is that so many people think that those who were there really know what really happened; they usually don't know sheit; they had their minds set on more important things at the time.

Best wishes, Kare

21. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    I just checked my files again with regards to #002C and the 1948 South American Temporada. In fact nearly nothing has been reported in the contemporary press, neither in Italy nor in Argentina. In the report of the race in the Argentine newspaper "El Mundo" of Feb 15 the following line can be found: “Solamente no se hizo presente el aficionado italiano Gabriel Bessana [sic]” which means, I believe, “Only non show was Italian enthusiast Gabriel Bessana”. It is interesting that no mention is made of the make of the car, and that Besana is called just an enthusiast and not a hero as are all the other drivers in these report! Another mention in "El Grafico", no. 1494, from 27 February 1948, journalist Ricardo Lorenzo (alias "Borocotó") explained this kind of cars (sportscar - cyclewings = racing car) appearing in post-war Europe to the Argentine readers. His text was accompanied by photos of the Besana Ferrari, showing it at the Palermo circuit, apparently taken during a practice session. One of these photos I have (the one I've posted above with #22 on the nose), the other I still miss (apparantly showing Gaby Besana looking into the engine bay of his car). There is a 3rd photo as posted by Boudewijn earlier in this thread, captured "Mar del Plata", but most probably also taken at the Palermo circuit of Buenos Aires.
    None of the official data I have for the 4 Argentine races of the Temporada series shows Besana and his Ferrari, but at least for the 3rd race (14 Feb 1948 - Premio Dalmiro Varela Castex, Buenos Aires) it seems that he was present for qualifying resp. testing. Most probably all the pictures have been taken here, and not at the first Buenos Aires race. It is absolutely unclear why Besana did not take the start, and it is even more unclear where he was already present in Argentina on the earlier events
    - 18 Jan 1948 - II. Gran Premio del General Juan Perón y de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires)
    - 25 Jan 1948 - I. Gran Premio Internaçional del General San Martin El Torreón, Mar del Plata
    - 1 Feb 1948 - II. Copa Acción de San Lorenzo - Parque Indepençia Rosario

No doubt, Gabriele Besana was in Argentina, we have pictures which proves this, but there is in fact no sign that he was there before 12 or 13 February. As said already, somewhere I have the name of the steamer and the departure date from Genova, but if I remember correctly that was the departure of the Italian team, and not that of Besana. The head resp. organizer of the team (Varzi, Villoresi, Farina, Ruggeri, Platé) was Corrado Filippini, who was Editorial Director of "Auto Italiana". In all his articles about the Argentine races he never mentions Besana with a single word. So considering all this, it may well be possible that Besana was not member of the (inofficial) Italian national team, but that he travelled on his own at a later date. So if we take his proven first appearance around 12/13 February it is easily possibly that he departed from Italy somewhere in 1st half January only. If so, the title's date (30 December) makes sense, and it also would make sense that the car had a tipo 166 engine already.

However, if so, I have some bad news for Jim. In that case #002C was not the first ever Ferrari sold, this was the Allemano Spyder #001S delivered to the "Gruppo Inter" (Prince Igor Troubetskoy and Count Bruno Sterzi) already in November or 1st half December 1947 (exact date I'm still trying to investigate).

22. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    I checked the story in an Argentine publication of 1995 about the Ferrari history in Argentina. My spanish is not all that good, but I gather the translation would be there were engine and suspension problems beyond repair for Besana to take part in any racing:
    quote "El auto no anduvo en las prácticas y su piloto no lograba encontrar el punto justo tanto en el motor como en las suspensiones. Finalmente, la Ferrari rompió el motor, no se reparó y Bessana siguió a la "troupe" del Grand Prix sin poder correr" unquote

The picture was indeed taken at the "Circuito de los Lagos de Palermo".

Best
    Boudewijn

23. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Boudewijn, is there explanation at which race these problems occured? However, in any case Besana managed to repair the car because few weeks later at Brazil he participated definitively at Interlagos.

24. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #224 Boudewijn, Apr 18, 2005
  25. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004