Mondial Z | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mondial Z

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Zertec, Oct 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    any possibillities to repost some pics.
    Didn't see them before and I am very curious.......

2. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
  3. pom mondial t

pom mondial t Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    teeradej t
    I still waiting.........

4. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I suppose that it is about time for an update. Unfortunately there is not a huge amount of difference to the above photographs that can be easily seen, most of the work I have done recently has been in block sanding and smoothing the panels into better curves. I have changed the rear diffuser area a bit (hacked it out and started again) and adjusted the side vents in the rear bumper. I have also been working on the door mirrors. As I am now working on detailed symmetry left to right I spent an afternoon levelling the car perfectly using a laser level.

The cabriolet presents an interesting prospect and potentially a much more flexible showcase. I have now decided that the cabriolet will wear the new body but I am also considering other modifications to the car. Even though the new style body visually adjusts the balance between the original glass area/height and the solid body (I always thought that originally the glass looked a bit too tall), on the cabriolet I am considering physically adjusting the height of the glass to improve this ratio even further. The intention would be to increase the rake of the windscreen slightly and to modify the side glass to suit. It will then be necessary to create a new soft top but this is relatively simple engineering. I will also create a removable hard top that may or may not (I haven't decided yet) make the car appear to be a full coupe, i.e., not a notch back. This will mean that when switching between soft top and hard top the boot (trunk) lid and engine cover will be removed. The rear hatch in this case would be vented possibly similar to the F40 and there would be a separate internal access hatch to the boot/trunk that could be opened when the main hatchback is lifted.

5. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    I'D BE INTERESTED. Let's talk.

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    HELLO!!! Let's talk, please.
    Thanks
    Sam

7. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Hi,

The cabriolet arrives on 5 March and once it clears customs I'll take a good look at what I can do for the bumpers. Another idea is a hard 3-piece hood cover in GRP or carbon fibre for when the roof is down that can be stowed in the boot (trunk to you guys) if the roof is up. This can be painted body colour or, in the case of the cf option, left bare.

8. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    That sounds good, though I have a coupe, so that doesn't apply. But, clean and integrated body colored bumpers would be GREAT.
    I looked into trying to do this by purchasing the parts, and it came to around $9,000...no way.
    Thanks
    Sam

9. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Sorry I didn't check your profile. jscar71 has a cabriolet as his avatar.
    As you would probably want to keep those (really heavy) pop-up head lights, the front bumper will include round 55mm or 60mm indicators and side lights with similar sized driving lamps. These latter can be HID xenon.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sounds too good to be true. I am anxious to hear if it appears feasible and affordable. Also, I tend to be conservative, so I would also like to see a drawing or Photoshop rendering to help decide, if we get to that point.
    Thanks again.

11. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    I am dying to hear if we can get those bumpers. Let's talk money.

12. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #62 Zertec, Mar 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Mondial QV Cabriolet has arrived in Singapore. I was pleasantly surprised about how good the car's condition was when I checked it over, virtually no corrosion at all. I am thinking that I may get the car ready for the road and take a mid-route on the modifications, a stop-gap really, until the full Z body is ready. To this end I would create new front and rear bumpers and possibly a removable hardtop.

I'm not a Photoshop wizard but this is how I envisage that I would change the front.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Maybe a little too fussy with three lights.

14. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Unfortunately you need to have a sidelight, indicator and "flasher". It is possible to modify one of the lamps to be a sidelight and indicator rolled into one by using LEDs. I would have to look at costs for an LED solution as the bumper mods would only be a temporary conversion anyway.

15. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Agreed. Looks great, but a little busy.

16. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #66 Zertec, Mar 26, 2005
    Unfortunately before you can start redesigning the interior you have to dismantle the old one.

Here is the Mondial interior without (most of) the bits that make it look neet and tidy:

17. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    Uhh...I really DIDN'T need to see that!!
    ... having just replaced my fog light switch..

Chris

18. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    I worked on the radio and electrical antenna today.....car looked allmost the same as on picture.............

19. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #69 Zertec, Jun 21, 2005
  20. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Clive, i hope you're doing a whole scrapbook for yourself... The Mondial Z... i think it's awesome... Rock on... i can't wait for more updates...

21. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
  22. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #72 Zertec, Jun 23, 2005
  23. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #73 Zertec, Jun 26, 2005
    I have decided to modify the rear bumper to continue the lower body vent lines into the rear bumper and through to the exhaust opening. The image shows the start of the process for creating the new shape (it will reflect the scoop just forward of the rear wheel). The scoop will be functional.

24. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Looks great Clive! When you're done, I don't mind driving down to SG to have a look and meet up with one 'hay' of a sculptor!

25. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #75 Zertec, Jul 3, 2005
    Took the car for a spin. OK well I put it on a set of "Go-Jacks" and spun it on the spot. This confirmed some areas that need modifying. The rear spoiler is going back to a 355 style flip-lip. The half splitters on the front will be completely reworked to align better with the side lines of the car. The next tasks include preparing the internal shapes (brackets) for both front and rear bumpers (as you can see the rear is not aligned properly) and completing the front details. We are still on target for mould prep at the end of August.