Do you think Schumi provoked that hit to disqualify himself? | FerrariChat

Do you think Schumi provoked that hit to disqualify himself?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ryalex, Mar 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    He's thinking,

- "I'm in ~12th
    - If I get over 50% done and DNF then I get a new engine next race
    - We predicted we wouldn't be strong without the new car
    - Why don't I provoke this younger guy and see if he messes up"

So, he cuts the corner on Heidfeld and off they both go.

From German news Expatica:

Race stewards rated the crash between Schumacher and Heidfeld as a normal racing incident and Schumacher also insisted that he had not deliberately cut into the way of the Williams-BMW driver.

But Germany's Bild daily thought otherwise, naming him "Rambo Schumi".

2. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    My view was that Schumi moved to the inside on defense, Heidfeld got pushed into the grass where he lost traction and couldn't slow down if he wanted to. Seems like a pure racing incident.

3. davel

davel Guest

No I dont think so. After both the BAR Honda's parked themselves before the checkered flag and they can get new motors. Why would he risk that and the car and damage to himself to simply get an engine.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, not just for the engine, but so that he doesn't really finish 12th and have to answer to the press and everyone. This way he goes 'down in flames' with a moderate amount more dignity.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree.

Should of Heidfeld backed off earlier and stayed on the pavement?

6. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    seems that would've been better for both drivers

7. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    MS sure didn't avoid contact, he moved over and off line so it looked to me like he was doing his typical over-aggressive defending of a position. I don't think getting out of the race was premeditated at that point, but once he got stuck in the gravel it became the logical move. However, I don't like this loophole, there should never be an incentive to not finish the race.

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Pure racing incedent! I hate it when people build mountains out of tiny little ant hills.

Did it help Michael for the next race.... sure... new engine in hot temperatures and a reason to start winning.

Ferrari 1 - 2 in Kuala Lumpur!!!

9. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What race were you guys watching?!?!? notso"quick" Nick had about as much position as Moantoya had last year when he cut the grass - due to Michael's "typical over-aggressive" driving. Give me a break. Little Nicky is sounding a lot like little Alonso complaining about JV. If you can't pass, shut up. If you can't pass and hold your position, SHUT UP!

Jim

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No.

But he retired himself because of the stupid rules.

MS has proven time and time again that he is a poor blocker ... and yes Nick was dreaming but MS should have blocked way earlier OR simply let Nick spear off the track as he would never have made the corner. MS should have enough experience now to not let these things happen to him.

Pete

11. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    There was that little weave under braking - who knows what he was doing there; trying to spook him, etc. Who cares? I don't think he intentionally spun out, or got into a wreck, but once the team made it clear that he'd gain an advantage, he pulled in. He wasn't going to score points anyway, so why risk the hardware? Not a sprited decsision, but a statistical excercise.

Looks like the rest of the field's finally caught up Ferrari's last year performance, we'll have to wait and see just how good everyone is v. Ferrari's 05 car. But them not being able to win the modified 04 car is a portent happening.

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    if MS (or anyone else) elects to stop before the end of the race and "retire due to mechanical problems", thus qualifying for a fresh engine for the next race, do they also have to start at the tail of the grid next race (regardless of quali time), or do they start where they qualify? I got confused somewhere in the previous explanations.......

13. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    Funny, the rest of the teams caught up to Ferrari's LAST YEAR car. Two points: first, when the F2005 car comes out, it'll probably be a year ahead of those boys, and second, isn't it astonishing how much they continue to improve on these designs and go even faster? Wow!

14. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    How do you come to the conclusion that the other teams have caught up to Ferrari? Qualifying was a joke and Ferrari did minimal laps during the practice sessions. RB started mid field and was chasing for a possible win.
    It seems to me that the only way things are going to change from last year is if we have a repeat of the disgrace that was called qualifying.
    Can someone clarify if F1 is about finding who is the quickest/best team over a season, or is it a new game played at the tables in Vegas, where you can file an injunction with the local gaming authoity if you don't like the cards you are being dealt??

15. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Take up qual w/ the tragedy that is the FIA. I thinks it's awful too.
    As to my conclusion that the teams have caught up to Ferrari - look at Schumi's performance; last year he'd have caught P3 at least, or been in the points - he started at the back and lingered on.
    I'm not saying Ferrari's out of the running, but it's going to be harder this year; Renault has been quick all winter; Red Bull showed tremendous promise - my only point is, Ferrari's not going to mow over the field.
    The 05 car may be really, really good but so are the 05 cars of Renault, Williams, Toyota and the offbeat underdog, RedBull. Not saying all those cars will be WDC contenders, but no one's rolling over this season.

16. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    I come to the conclusion that if you look at lap times, the 05 cars from the other teams have caught up with Ferrari's 04 car. When F comes out with the 05 car, I have no doubt that it'll take until 06 for the other teams to catch up with THAT one.

And I agree with you. Qualifying's a joke. I'm in favor of returning to the old 12 lap/4 flying laps qualifying where Minardi went out first to get their sponsors some TV time, and then there was a frenzy toward the end of the session as all the big boys went out. THAT was fun!

17. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Sorry to rake up an old topic but this is what DC and Giancarlo had to say about the Schumi-Heidfeld incident in an interview this week

Source: formula1.com