ONLINE PETITION TO SAVE THE BRITISH GP (Please sign!) | FerrariChat

ONLINE PETITION TO SAVE THE BRITISH GP (Please sign!)

Discussion in 'F1' started by ferrarigr, Oct 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd heard there was some hairy races there, in years gone by.......

Maybe Gillette can chip in some sponsor $$$$$.

In the nick of time!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

I will avoid the feminine one liners that come to mind.........

3. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    It must get really hairy driving an F1 car

I've voted BTW

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Voted.

Maybe a moderator can correct this threads title ... it might get more hits and thus more signatures?

Pete

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thread stuck and retitled.

Easier and faster if you alert us with the Alert boxes if you want us to do something. :)

6. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
    Thank you Omar Thats Great...
    BTW i saw you are in Baltimore I am working on board cruise ship Galaxy so we come in Baltimore We will be coming again Oct 8th and Oct 18th for full day.

7. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Signed!

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    What I said:

To turn your back on this race is negligant. The popularity of Formula One racing wasn't created, nor is it sustained, in the elaborate paddocks and concierge amenities we see at today's newer tracks. Formula One is the peoples' series, and nowhere is that more important than in Britain, and at Silverstone. Bernie Ecclestone has had an aggenda to destroy this race for some time now. What Bernie needs to understand is that followers of his sport thrive on top-rate competition, not the eliteist facilities at the race track. Bernie no longer seems to identify with everyday people, and this, like in other sports, will be his ultimate un-doing. Jack Stanley, Chicago, USA

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very cool, if you up for it shoot me a PM on the 8th, I would love to take you (and your friends) to lunch/dinner in the city.

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
  11. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Signed

380 John T

12. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR

The poblem that day for me is that is the Embarkation and disembarkation day.You know when new passengers boarding the cruise ship and its kinda hectic for me.If you want to come over for a visit its fine with me just let me know..I will send a PM

13. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Signed.

Also cross referenced to UK forum.

14. tclark

tclark Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom Clark
  15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I signed it since it is a petition for the British GP, not for Silverstone.

As I said before the home land of F1 is Britain and F1 just can't be without its own GP.

Having said that, loosing Silverstone as a venue I don't mind terribly much. The track is hard to get to and its infrastructure for the teams as for the fans are outdated.

If you want to invest in a traditional British track, that has equal if not more tradition and a track layout ten times as exciting, then upgrade Brands Hatch, where F1 used to race before moving to Silverstone. Heck Donington or Goodwood have more charisma than Silverstone.

And if you don't want to make that kind of investment, then take the race to streets of London. Fine with that too. But do not abandon the UK!

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  17. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I think you are being a little harsh on Silverstone. It really is the only UK circuit capable of hosting a Grand Prix. Brands Hatch is a real nightmare to get to as it is stuck in the bottom right-hand corner of the UK so everyone has to go through or around London to get there. It is also in a residential area so it couldn't cope with the parking and camping requirements of a GP. Donington could be interesting as it's fairly central and has an airport. I think it would need a lot more money spending on it than Silverstone does to get it up to F1 standard.
    I would LOVE to see a Grand Prix in London, but failing that I think Silverstone is the place. It's a lot easier to get in and out nowadays and often produces exciting races.

P.S. Signed!

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good to hear from you again, Anthony. And nice avatar.

Having seen F1 at Brands Hatch and in Silverstone, I think Brands Hatch wins hands down. The track has real elevation changes and is just wonderful. You see the cars coming and going through several turns. Silverstone is flat and from a viewer's perspective a bit like Monza: Here they come on the right and here they pass you by on the left. Like watching a tennis match, head goes right to left and back.

Aside from that I think your assessment is fair. But I was negatively surprised when I arrived in Silverstone. Everything is so backwards. No parking lot, no real grand stands, not much infrastructure like toilets etc. This might sound spoiled, but I can endure that pain if the track is great - like in Spa -. But if the track is "only" historic, well...

Besides I think the BRDC is missing out on selling itself, its cause and making an extra buck in the process. I would have loved to get a nice sweater with their logo or something, but couldn't find anything. Only some rather dull Silverstone shirts. Not that this is the matter of all things, but if your main problem is $$$, why not offer some merchandise for the fans?

19. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Signed ... some frikkin gay morons are going at it on the petitions .. nuts

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I have signed it...

Stu

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh please drop this rediculous notion that a street race in one of the world's busiest cities is even remotely possible and actually going to produce GOOD racing.

Monaco works because the track was made years and bloody years ago and probably before the needs of the city (traffic wise) was worked out and thus the track won/ruled.

Every street track that is made using BORING normal street roads ends up with squllions of 90 degree corners and the track sucks ... like Phoenix (sp?) did.

So yes you may not like the layout of Silverstone (others have other views) but it is 2000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than some pathetic street track that will have to be agreed by 10000000's of NON-motor racing fans before it happens and thus completely neutred.

What we have at the moment is one of the founding tracks in a good location that just needs a bit of work. Bernie just wants to drop it so he can line his wallet again (new market in China = money, that is all) ... remember guys Bernie is KILLING F1 and always has been. He does not care about the sport, just how much money he can rape from it. Proof is that the sport has been declining ever since he got involved. The only reason it APPEARS to have grown under him is the televising of the sport to a wider audience ... this would have happened with or without Bernie ... and did not happen BECAUSE of Bernie. Also technology relating to in car cameras have helped ... Bernie had nothing to do with helping this technology too!

What makes F1 so good?
    - The title of F1 champion means something ... and this is because of history/heritege, etc.
    - The fact that it has been running for 55 years (? ... I think that is right) and really was running for atleast 40 before under different names/formats, etc. and thus built up prestege, etc.
    - Part of this prestege and maintaining the image, means we HAVE to hang on to some tracks to keep that link to the past. We have to be able to look in the rule books and see that race winners right back into the old days. Yep we have to.

If we run too fast to China/etc. and all of a sudden just have new tracks, that have no previous winners, no great races to discuss ... F1 looses heaps and all of a sudden just another race series with NO history.

I know the world is full of knockers ... especially the bloody Poms :mad: ... but it is time to stop the knocking (glass is half empty) attitude and embrace the track and the tradition and support Silverstone and join the bloody BRDC. Start working bees and get our hands dirty and build the necessary stuff that raises the track to the required level.

If Britain looses the F1 GP, you have only yourself to blame, nobody else if you just sat there and continued the fantastic (sacasim) bloody Pom tradition of being whinny negative, lazy people. It is like ever since WW2, you guys have not been able to stand up and do a decent days work ... killed your car industry and worked as hard as possible to embarrass the image your fore fathers built ... fncken pathetic!

Pete

22. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
  23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Pete, a few remarks:

- Have you ever been to Silverstone? It is disappointing to see it in person. It looks a lot better on TV, believe me. Brands Hatch OTOH does look even better when you're there. Kinda like Spa, it simply overwhelms you. Silverstone is monotonous, flat, windy, old. Ok, that's an opinion, nothing more. Good location? Again, have you ever tried to attend a race there? If you have the cash for the helicopter airlift, it is in a good location, yes.

- Street courses are boring? C'mon! Monaco normally produces a nail biter of a race, year after year. Yes passing is difficult, but dancing inches away from the armco at 200 mph is something only the best can do, which is why normally only aces win Monaco. Phoenix? All I remember is the fascinating battle between Alesi and Senna.

- I think street racing - as opposed to wide open spaces of road racing - offers its own character, where precision and risk are utmost important. There are other great venues, besides Monaco. Ever been to a race in Pau? It is fascinating! Heck, you guys had Adelaide until not too long ago, I liked that as well. Or Long Beach for that matter.

- Bernie bought Brabham and turned it into a World Champion winning team. He only let go of it to run F1 full time.

- Bernie introduced his very own TV system to F1 including in car shots. It was no economic success, but some of the shots we get today are there because he introduced them.

- Join the BRDC? I'd love to do nothing more than that. How? Maybe I'm missing here something, but I think those gentlemen are so busy with themselves being gentlemen, that they forgot the commercial side of things. And the fans. You know that their clubhouse and access etc is in the infield of Silverstone, where you need a VIP pass to get to? Bernie didn't put it there, they did. To be away from the fans. That's also where the parking for e.g. the vintage race cars is. So nobody can touch them. Compare that to Goodwood's festival of speed or revival.

It's not that simple, that Bernie is the bad guy and BRDC the good ones.

But I do agree with you, that loosing the British Grand Prix would be beyond pathetic. Loosing Silverstone I can live with.

24. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If Britain looses the F1 GP, you have only yourself to blame, nobody else if you just sat there and continued the fantastic (sacasim) bloody Pom tradition of being whinny negative, lazy people. It is like ever since WW2, you guys have not been able to stand up and do a decent days work ... killed your car industry and worked as hard as possible to embarrass the image your fore fathers built ... fncken pathetic!

Pete

I agree with much of your comments about Bernie, and he is absolutely taking as much cash as he can get and to hell with the UK, after all it is only the country that helped give him his millions, and dominates the Racing Engineering of the world, not just F1 but also Indy/Champ car (what ever it is these days) and World Rallying. About time he put back in some of what he has taken out, heck his young widow wife will spend it a lot less wisely I reckon. By the way, what was the last great Australian F1 car/team :)

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Excellent I'm glad you responded, because this is a potentially very interesting subject to discuss :).

No and I have not been to Brands Hatch, either. I do agree with you that Brands Hatch is an awesome track, with great elevation changes. My understanding though is that Brands Hatch is in a residential area (or close to), thus we all know that will never happily mix ... so impossible, thus cross off list.

You missed my point slightly. Yes street racing can be good, and if you are very, very lucky you get a track like Adelaide ... but the likelihood of London being able to satisfy all the ANTI-racing brigade, etc. and end up with a track that is NOT just 90 degree corners is close to impossible. It would be more likely for PSk to be next years F1 WC.

If Britain wants to keep its race, then surely it is far more sensible to get behind Silverstone and fix it ... instead of moaning.

Agree, but 90 degree corner after 90 degree corners suck (IMO). Plus when it rained in Adelaide it was impossible to race ... think concrete blocks and water drainage, etc.

With the risk of injury to a spectator (think Melbourne and the track marshall ... thank God it was a marshall and not a spectator!) ... you will NOT be able to get close to the cars ... so please explain to me how you are going to have spectators with buildings in the way, etc.

True, but Brabham was a good team back then and just needed money ... not Bernie. Once the money was pulled Brabham fell on its sword.

Wrong. In car footage was actually invented in Australia by Channel 9 (I believe) for the Bathurst 1000 race ... yep saloon cars can handle the weight of great big cameras. All that happened was camera technology improved and this made its way to F1 and single seaters.

Hmmm, this sounds like the root of the problem ... what needs to happen is that Silverstone is opened up to the people and they get behind the track.

I hate Bernie, and in 10 years time when F1 is even more of a complete joke ... I will be saying I told you so. He no longer is interested in the sport ... just the cash.

Unlike Imperial I believe in heritege and so does most Ferrari supporters. Ferrari would not be where they are today with out their history and neither would F1. Infact I do not even think circuit racing would be where it is today with out Silverstone ... one of the founding tracks that produced REAL racing instead of the cr@p that occurred at Brooklands (that is wrongfully honoured).

Yes good call. And the last great Australian F1 team was Brabham and they exited with their tail firmly between their legs ... luckily for me I am a New Zealander and McLaren are doing okay ;) ... as for drivers, Go Webber!

Pete