The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread | Page 76 | FerrariChat

The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by El Wayne, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Did David Piper campaign this car he does 0900?
    Cheers
    Simon

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi
    According to a document David provided that was part of the closing:

October 6th,2000

RACING HISTORY

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

1967 FERRARI 330 P4

Chassis No. *0003*
    Engine No. *0003*
    Gearbox No. 593A N7

This car has been in our possession continuously since 1974 and has been raced for one of our clients in various events around the world including T&I Circuit Japan, Cape Town South Africa, Bahamas Freeport and Goodwod Revival, Angouleme, France.

Signed
    David R. Piper

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  5. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    ;)
    Jim.
    I didn’t realise that you were going to post these photos to FerrariChat. No problem, but I think I should point out that they are not my photos. They were taken by Mark Hockings (another fellow P4 enthusiast) at Donington, in either ’87 or ’88. They are also to be found on Mark’s website at: http://www.djmarkus.com/ferrari/330p4.htm

Note for ‘Macca’:

Paul.
    Remember your little dig, a few months back, about my (long) unfinished website (http://www.p4replica.com) ? Well, in Mark Hockings, I’ve finally found myself a web page designer (see: http://www.designermark.biz/) who is happy (and also very keen) to take on the mammoth task of completing it. I’m meeting him at Castle Combe on Saturday. So once the evenings start drawing in, we’ll be seriously getting down to work. I don’t think Mark realises, yet though, quite how many photos he’s going to have to host ! ;)

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A few more clearer pictures.
    Another interesting thing from Doug's article:
    "They (P4 rear wheel width) grew rapidly to 12 1/2 in. rears and 15s were tried experimentally though they demanded rear wheel-arch extensions to accommodate the spread-based tyre."

7. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Does anyone recognize who all is in the bottom pic?

Is that Enzo with the hat?

8. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Er, I don't think so, Jeff. Maybe he's one of those notorious Sicilian souvenir hunters that used to frequent the Targa Florio. From his shifty expression, I would guess that he's just nicked #0846's chassis plate ! ;) LOL

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The guy in the hat is obviously an alien time traveler with a hacksaw in his back pocket and was looking to heist a few chassis tubes for forensic analysis. With authentic samples in hand, he warped back into the future for a clandestine meeting with the Piped Piper to orchestrate their covert strategy.

I subjected the picture to my intensive photographic analysis, and it looks like there is grease on his hand from a Modena junkyard.

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    But then again, my "photographic analysis" might not be so bad after all. It would seem that SOMEWHERE there is another photograph taken at the exact same moment as this one. Note the nearly obscured photographer.

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The guy seems to be well dressed, so maybe he is part of some news organization. If it were a private citizen, I doubt if he would have that kind of camera.

Can the license plate on the Alfa sedan be blown up enough so that one can actually make it out? It might be helpful, but venturing down that path would be very difficult and time consuming.

12. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    and what wheel and tyre dimentions were used?

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    He and his camera were much more obvious in the other photo. On the right...

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The top part of the camera does indeed look like the lens screen on a Rolleiflex or one of the cheaper Japanese knock offs. The part hanging down looks like some sort of lens shield or the cover of the protective case. (We used our Rolleiflex to snap a photo of Neil Armstrong on television at the moment he stepped onto the moon.) He must have been some serious amateur or pro. If he still has the negatives, they would be better than 35MM. The Rollei used a bigger format. Wonder if the same guy was at LeMans AFTER the fire?

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I don't have them off the top of my head but will get back to you. The original tires were Firestone but those are no longer made. The Avons I'm now using are exactly correct re OA. Dia.

16. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    I doubt that he is in the right place.

17. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Yes,,,but I was impressed by the other Ferrari having...what to me looked like having new Firestone tyres.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    0856 at Pebble/FCA Quail? Those were original Firestones. Those are 37 years old. Firestone's are no longer made. While those were cool for show I wouldn't feel safe driving on them at speed. I have old Firestones as well but until I park my car in my living room I'm not going to use them.

19. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    I actually have a picture of Nino Vacarella...just as he hits the curb...not often seen I beleive.

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Pls. Post it.

21. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004

22. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Wont allow me I´m afraid.

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If you want to Email it to me and I will.

24. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    HOW?

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I PM'ed you my email address. Paul S. has it as well. I assume it's scanned?
    I can resize it if neccessary.