How much $/mile to maintain a Testarossa? | FerrariChat

How much $/mile to maintain a Testarossa?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Francoc, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Francoc

Francoc Rookie

Jul 15, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Franco Cuminato
    I'd like to poll Testarossa owners about how much it costs to maintain one in terms of $/mile. Thanks in advance.

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Franco,

I don't own one but I took the time to do a little bit of searching. try this link to start with there are other links within it and some good information. There is also some good stuff on the old archives. Good luck, it's a great car!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23687&highlight=testarossa

$/mile is directly related to the mile part of that equation in my experience. the more you drive the less the maintenance per mile.

3. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    as with any car it depends how you drive it, where you drive it, who you have fix it. etc, there are way too many varaibles. How much are you looking to spend on the car and how much do you have to service it? the TR may not be the best option if your on a budget.

4. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    fun and pleasure costs what it costs if you worry its not fun

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All the above answers are good ones. What I usually tell prospective buyers is, "If the purchase price causes you any concern, shop for another brand".

They are fun and life is short.

6. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    I just sincerely hope no one comes along here and says

"if you have to ask, you cant afford it"

because every time someone asks about money on here, someone gets on their high horse and pulls that crap out.

anyway good luch in your research

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I bought mine new drove it 115K miles and sold it when the chassis rusted away. All in $2.50 per mile.

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    including purchase and resale or just maintenance?

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Including purchase/resale (Not gas and insurance) I paid 123K. Sold it for 23K, the rest was maintenance.

10. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Mr. G
    How many years did you own the TR?

Erich
    Trying to wrap my brain around 187k in maintenance in a couple of years.

11. Mr.Manny

Mr.Manny Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    N.J
    Full Name:
    Manny
    I had one for 5 years cost me $2000.00 a year , thats with full service and tires , put 2,500 miles per year. worth every penny. sold it 2years ago what a mistake , picked one up 3 weeks ago white drive it more than my 360spider.

12. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    Hats off to you. That's the way to get the most out of a Ferrari.

13. Francoc

Francoc Rookie

Jul 15, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Franco Cuminato
    I don't want to sound like an ass, but I started the thread asking for $/mile to maintain a Tetarossa, not for sermons on how to live life. Thanks to the posters that actually gave me numbers, and to the rest: please give me a number or go piss on another thread. Thanks.

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You sound like an a**....

This is an open forum; you are new here...seems a little early to be getting so testy....suck it up a little or may be you should take your own advice.

Regards,
    Dave

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    BINGO. And one of the reasons you may not be getting specific answers is most people drive these cars because they love them. Most just pay the bills and try to forget how much they are spending just like a teenager on a date with the prom queen.

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    What the hell happened to your Testarossa? I lived by the beach for 7 years and owned a 328gts for the whole 7 years plus 3 more in Florida and when I sold it about six months ago the car didn't have any rust anywhere, and I did take care of it but for some reason never did any anti rust prevention treatment and the car was always as new. Anyways to sell a Testarossa for that amount and never mind the miles I bet your car had serious problems but I see you were honest and sold it very cheap.

17. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I bought a perfect '88 Testarossa with 7,000 miles and drove it up to 47,000 miles from '99 to '04 and I did all the minor and majors including one clutch change and took care of anything that I noticed was not normal and at the end I spent more than $30,000 in services and fixing things up. By the way the car was as reliable as an NSX but maintenance and parts are very expensive. By the way you sounded rude and I hope you buy a bad example and it blows up next to a ricer, obviously any Ferrari will outclass you in the road or track, imbecil...

18. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Napolis lives in NY state. I am sure he drove it year round, salted roads and all.

Erich

19. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Some facts...you do the math.

Major service due every 30,000 mi or 5 yrs, whichever comes first, at the price of $6,500-8,500.

Tires every 6-8,000 miles, depending on brand and driving style.

Wheels, if you hit a curb, between $750-2,500 depending on brand.

Clutch, if you need it, $3,000 plus labor. Seems most owners put at least one in their car.

Insurance, depends. Personal to driver, call your agent.

Gas, about 12 mi per gallon.

Uh, that's a start. Research depreciation, since it depends on purchase price, etc. General rule: High mileage cars depreciate less than low, sometimes, way less.

Good luck, they are great cars, and yes, parts are on the top shelf, but so is the driving experience. : )

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    What happened? Lets see. I bought it new. I drove it in the sun. I drove it in the rain. I drove it in the snow. I parked it on the street. I strapped a baby seat into it and drove my daughter around. Later I drove her to school.
    I drove it on the track. I drove it in bumper to bumper NYC traffic on 100 degree days. I drove it on the Cross Bronx Expressway. The timimg belts went at 6k. 40K warrantee claim. A wheel came off at speed. F replaced all 4 cornors. The chassis cracked. F rewelded it. Thinking about it I drove it 140K miles not 115K. (I replaced 2 speedo's). I did a major every 15K, changed the oil every 3K. Fixed what broke. When I went on vacation I left it with my mechanic for another major. He put it on the lift and noticed the chassis was so rusted that it flexed. When I got home it was gone. He sold it. I told him I wanted to fix it. He replied "That's why I sold it. I knew you would." Over how many years? 14.

21. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Scary!

22. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I think thats the best thing I ever read on F-chat.

BTW,Seems you actually used it as, well, a car. How odd...

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I figure $1 per mile, but I do a lot of maintenance on my 512TR road car

24. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory