ALMS Infineon Grand Prix of Sonoma | FerrariChat

ALMS Infineon Grand Prix of Sonoma

Discussion in 'F1' started by Exotic_Car_Guy, Jul 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    July 18, 2004
    The Lamborghini Murcielago R-GT #5 run by the Krohn Barbour Racing team driven by David Brabham and Peter Kox got 2nd place in the GTS class. The Murcie came in between the 1st and 3rd place Corvettes (it didn't hurt that there were no GTS Ferraris in this race). Dale Earnhardt Jr. was hurt in a fiery crash earlier in the day. The #6 Murcie DNF'd. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Lambo and the GTS Ferrari cars are running in the same race.
    Gil

2. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Where was the Maranello?

Rats!!!

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Gil,

I'm bummed we didn't get a chance to meet.

I thought the #5 Murcie retired or at least lost many laps due to smoke coming out of the engine compartment. Here it is in the garage during the race.

It was a good day and my other favorite Marque, audi, won again.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Those waiting to see the Lamborghini and Ferrari 550 GT Maranellos have at it are in for a long wait.

The relationship between Ferrari and Prodrive broke down in 2002 and was further eroded when Maranello took credit for Prodrive's outstanding GTS win at Le Mans in 2003 despite the fact that Maranello gave the program little (READ: no) support.

There are 550 GT Maranellos available for sale for privateers to take on the factory entered Corvettes and Aston Martins next year but so far thats not
    looking like a wise investment and no one is taking that on.

At upwards of $875,000.00 for a 575 GTC, there dont seem to be many takers either with the exception of the Barron-Connor team which was upwards of 15 seconds off the pace of the lead Corvettes and Prodrive/Care Racing 550 GT Maranellos at Le Mans this year.

To see interesting Ferrari-v-Lamborghini battles, the only place that will be is in the FIA GT.

BHW

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Since there were only about 6 or 7 cars entered in GTS, and almost all were faster than the Murcie, I'd say they were pretty lucky to get a second place finish. The faster Saleen broke, Earnhard's Vette burned to the ground in the warmup, the faster other Vette made several lengthy pit stops to fix damage from contact with the Murcie, of all things. The Lambo did sound good, though!

I was pretty disappointed with the small field this year, the prototype field was way smaller than last year, same with the GTS group, and the GT field is just a spec-GT3RSR race, with a lone private 360 that actually did pretty well, finishing 4th in class among about 20 entries I would guess.

Gary

6. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    Vincent,
    Yes, sorry we didn't run into each other. We'll see you at the next event.

Gary, BHW,
    Yes, I was disappointed we didn't get to see any Ferraris in the GTS class as well as the other attrition. I guess we'll see how this series evolves.

Gil