1975 308GT4 #10636 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

1975 308GT4 #10636

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jay GT4, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Thanks! The red (formerly white) one is Don's the Yellow one is mine.

Just finished putting the Passenger side door panel on. Lubed up all the locks and rods and it closes good. The Driver's side is sticking so I've oiled it all and I'll wait until tomorrow to see what's going on. Also finishing off the carpet installation, the first spray glue didn't hold so I'll pick up some contact cement that I'll brush on. I'll try to post more pics soon but with the new subscription to the forum I'm not sure if it will allow me to...

2. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Mr. Jay, You've got mail! hope you enjoy the pics and better yet, when the wheel wells are finally in your hands, that you will be happy!

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Wrong :) The GT4 is a great Ferrari! I think it´s very beautiful and stylish. And it seems you are going to have a real beauty queen.

Very understandable :)

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    :) To be honest I never liked the look of the GT4 until I saw it in person. It really grows on you. Just waiting for my new wheel wells from Don...Can't wait!

5. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    I will be happy when you are happy with them Jay. These things always require a bit of minimal grinding to fit your specific car and can be a major PITA to get into the wheel wells sometimes :)

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Don's wheel wells fit perfectly! Thanks again!

Carb's are adjusted so is timing, now just waiting for Ansa tips. Spent most of the afternoon fighting the driver's side window motor and cable. Bought a replacement unit from Ferrari UK but it is NOT the right length for the GT4. After trying in vain to make it work, I think I will search for a good used cable assembly. Until then, I'll just drive around with the window down...poor me! Anyone have a good used cable assembly?

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Well, after 3 1/2 years I drove the car about 300km last week-end. Discovered a few problems. The used oil cooler I bought also leaks, so I've ordered a brand new one from Jeff at Ferrari UK. Also, the turn signals don't work but the hazard lights do. I've changed all the relay's but one (most are regular fog light relays, I checked the values on each connector). The car sounds and runs great! I'll get Don or someone else to post some pics of the tips and new chrome signal lights.

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    This thread is awesome!!!!

Well done!

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Concrats :)

Pete's impressed
    ps: Can't wait to finally post that I've driven my Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV after it's restoration is complete. Difference is that it will be something like ... after 20 years and replacing 75% of the body due to rust ... ;)

10. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    If you've replaced 75% of the body then is it really an Alfa 1750 GTV or is it a replica? :)

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  12. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Jay, congrats to you!!!! Nice job! Mine is due to be shipped today from the body shop, should have mine within 2-3 days after nearly 7 months of work!!! I hope you turn signal column cluster is still OK. Those can get very expensive. I replaced mine years ago while they were easy to find and new. I have heard there is someone who rebuilds them, but don't know his quality of work.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    To me it is just repairs ;) ... and to be honest I do not know the real figure, lets see:

1. Replaced front floor panels (though genuine Alfa Romeo panels from another car)
    2. Replaced sill (or rocker) chassis rails.
    3. Replaced sill (or rocker) panels.
    4. Replaced bottom of all door pillars.
    5. Repaired left side of boot floor.
    6. Repaired spare wheel well and right side of floor.
    7. Repaired rear window surround.
    8. Repaired left hand side panel after door.
    9. Replaced rear panel.
    10. Repaired left rear guards after wheel.
    11. Repaired right rear guards after wheel.
    12. Repaired both wheel arches.

Have a look if you want:
    My '71 1750 Series 2 GTV

Still to repair:
    1. Front of chassis around roll bar mounts.
    2. Front panel.
    3. Front windscreen surround.
    4. Rear of both front guards.
    5. Repair both doors.

Think that is all :)

In the end as it is the same car and will be the same car, and as I believe in continuous history it will still be the same car. I will not keep this restoration a secret (anybody that buys a 105 series Alfa Romeo knows they need considerable restoration work to have lasted this long).

Horsefly will consider it a replica ... but he thinks that any car that has had the engine oil changed is a replica :D :D

Pete's opinion

14. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    My heavens. My hat goes off to you PSK for all of your efforts on your Alfa. Wow. Can't wait to see the finished car. Jay's GT4 wasn't in too bad of condition and neither was mine for the most part, just alot of small rust spots in the usual places on the GT4, mostly in the rear trunk area and both door bottoms. Fortunately, the GT4 has fiberglass floors :)

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thank you ... helps the motivation :). Unfortunately nothing rusts like an Alfa Romeo. If you get the disease this is one of the symptoms :(

Pete

16. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Yes, we all need some motivation! Thanks for posting the pics Don. I ordered a brand new oil cooler from UK today and I hope it will be here by the week-end. Fixed the turn signals today (relay problem). Now I need to find the pins for the front and rear bonnets. I have 2 but need 3 more. I could have sworn I had them all when I began but I could only find the two. I even labelled everything in zip lock bags! Actually a few things went "missing". Also talked to Jeff Howe today about the cables for the window motor that are too long. Once I get that sorted I can have a window that goes up and down on the drivers side. If I can get the cooler by the week-end I'll be at the track on Wednesday (Mosport) so I'll have some more pics.

You can really see in the last pic the chrome housing for the side markers. Fits the car much better than the black ones.

17. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Still waiting for the oil cooler, it arrived in Canada early this morning but they were held up in customs for almost 10 hours. They will be on the way first thing in the Morning. If I can get them by a reasonable time I will be at Mosport for the Ferrari track event. Pics to follow...

18. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Thank you Jay for keeping all of us informed. Eagerly awaiting the pics. Mine is supposed to be delivered by truck sometime today after almost 7 months. Getting frustrated. Car transport service taking their sweet time.

19. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    So is UPS...still no oil cooler so no track day today! :( I am ready to loose it with UPS!

20. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #145 jm3, Jul 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Which grill do you need? Gentry Lane in Toronto has lots of GT4 grills in stock, they also sell on ebay. You can give them a try, talk to Helder 416-535-9900

22. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    more pictures after oil cooler installation.

23. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    1 more of plates.

24. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Thanks for posting those pics for me Don. I think I'll go for a drive! :)

25. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Hey! I might join you! Getting my baby within 3 more hours from now! Wow, almost 7 months to the very day.

pictures coming next week, tons of them.