FerrariChat.com Software Upgrade: DISCUS HERE ONLY... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Software Upgrade: DISCUS HERE ONLY...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wax, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks Rob my colors are back !!!!!!!
    Erik

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Crikey! B!tch!n' begat b!tch!n' Jr.. Simmer down, boy - same as any place else - you can have your sh!tcake and eat it, too. B!tch loud enough, as you have, you won't be asked to leave - you'll have a footprint on your arse - again. After all, God forbid some people here don't like the crap you forced on them. It ain't what you say, it's how you say it - to the Owner of the joint, no less. Get it through your head - The customer - or in your case, cusstomer ain't always right. You're here on Rob's dime, Sunshine. You have any clue how many polls and discussions there have been about this, that and the other relating to what's up with the board software? Talk about arrogant. Fnck off and tell yo mammy "Hi" from the "gang" and let her know you definitely ain't in any of the wills. Oh, and I'm being nice.

3. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Man, I go to sleep on an aircraft carrier for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose! :) I thought I was on the wrong site for a minute. My 200 lira....

1) I like the clean look. I'm a high-res user and this looks very nice.

2) I don't like the purely horizontal layout. The Avatar and user info should be all together on the left, with the message text inline and to the right. That way you "get to know someone" at a glace, avatar, joined, post count, quotables, etc. With this layout you have to scan across the top of each post.

3) Multiple pics BIG THUMBS UP!

4) A little notice and a preview might have been kinder, but hey it's your board and this is fine too.

I'll have to check out some of the other features, but those are my first impressions from just a few minutes on the site, and first impressions are usually the best feedback in my experience. Thanks Rob!

Mark

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I think I like this.

5. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Hmmm...after using the site the new way for a day or so, Im gtting used to it. Im now a lot more comfortable.

Is it just me, or are the pages loading faster? On my cable connection at home the fastest Id get on this site is maybe 130Kb/sec, but with the new software Ive been seeing around 190Kb/sec. Very nice.

:)

6. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Its good!

I see we can post multiple images, something we really needed. I'm happy you didn't kept the quick links menu under each post. (a bit annoying)

Anyway I prefered the old f-chat but just give me time to adjust and I'm sure this new layout will be just as fine as the other ones. :)

7. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    WOAH! I am pleasantly BLOWN AWAY by the increased usability of the board.

As a software geek with a penchant for good design, usability, and interaction, I knew within a few minutes of using the board that it was a HUGE LEAP FORWARD in terms of these areas.

Everything is layed out better. Detail shines through: boxes around clickable the page numbers of longer threads, 3d panel effect of important "sections" (like this response section's panel is 3d/beveled), scrolling menus.

I'm very impressed.

Good to have the table width as a percentage again (so that it fills the screen reasonably).

One feature request, to prevent people from losing work. If somebody is replying to a thread, typing text, and they navigate away for whatever reason--clicked on back by accident or User CP for example--they'll lose whatever they were typing. A simple cancellable Javascript alert() confirming the navigate way from "Work in progress" would be awesome in this context.

i.e. if (alert("You're currently typing a message. Are you sure you want to navigate away?") { continue navigation away; } else { stay here; }

I also like that bold message subjects are used for unread messages. And of course, multiple pics is great!

Fantastic work!

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Don't worry about Darkman's comment everyone, that's just personal. That's JRV's alter boy Jay Britton. You would be cranky too if after 6 months your site still had little traffic and you had to deal with JRV's "mood" swings. Hey Jay and JRV, would you guys do a better job with your site, I can't handle the 900 new users a month. Whew, being too good hurts sometimes. :D

9. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Rob,

Site looks great and works fine, Not sure if any of us have posted here yet, But on their behalf, Thanks from all the UK users !

Cheers,

Steve

10. Darkman2

Darkman2 Rookie

Feb 9, 2004
    You dumb F**K! I never had anything personal against you. But I do now. You locked may account here because of your personal problem with JRV. That's not my problem. You're a pathetic small person. None of my posts have ever mentioned F-Talk or have I ever tried to incite a board war.

Oh, and get this through your simple little head. Biggest != Best. Never has, Never will!

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    on the pull down you get when you click on a user name, "Add .... to Ignore List" isn't an option. maybe it should be.

doody.

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Personally,I like it Rob. I am a Fossil in the World of new Technology,"Roadkill on the Information Super Highway",if you will. When it changed a few months back. I didn't really like it at first. Seemed too crowded and busy...Intimidating to a new computer user,who was grown up,and doing other things,(Girls,Cars,etc...:) ) before the Video Game age began.. I whined about it a little,like alot of others did. But,soon got used to it. But,I like this right off the bat. Nice,easy,user friendly. Thanks alot for your continued effort. I appreciate it!

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Its only been a day now but I like it. Alot. Its jsut all around better and easier to navigate and find new post.

14. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan

Great, Wax; Thanks for saving me the trouble.

JMJ

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This is crazy. Its gonna take me a few days to adjust. But it looks nice.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sorry I haven't responded to everyone yet, I have a really slow connection from work today and I need to do my "real" job. I will have detailed responses later and update the work log.

I don't mind feedback, I just don't accept couple word comments like "I don't like it" and "it sucks" very well. #1 - you have to give it a fair chance and also allow me the time to make fixes. #2 - Feedback like that is not beneficial. I appreciate those that took the time to have a list of detailed feedback, now that I like.

17. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Well it seems to me that most of the stuff I spotted immediately came back. Width, Navigation, etc.

I like the new popup menus they're cool.

My fave remark in this thread so far was:

good work Rob - keep up the fixes.

PS I like the new look of the "quote"!

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Hahaha! :)

19. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    At first, I wasn't thrilled with the change, but it is growing on me.

My only complaint so far: the board seems to have slowed down a little. Other boards I've visited today are fast, so this seems to be Fchat related, and not internet in general related. Don't know what you can do about it, but hopefully it will speed up as you iron out the bugs.

Dom

20. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Why is it all so huge now?, is it my Browser? suits my knackered old eyes but preferred the original sizes

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The new upgrade should be faster, there are less images and the previous version was only in beta, so they were only working on base functionality, not making it quicker. This should be quicker than before and as future versions come out they should make it even faster. I can also start fine tuning some of the things. A few related points...

1) We are averaging over 220 users online at once during weekdays. This is about 50% higher than even just a month ago.
    2) Over the coming weeks I will be installing a php accelerator that should help the speeds.
    3) This summer we're going to an entire new "super" server. :) We're already on a decent dedicated server, but this one will cost about 5 times more. This is assuming the site continues to grow as crazy as it is.
    4) It was our intention the entire time to go to this new style. The old style we were on hadn't been updated yet as it was a beta version. They basically had developed vB3, but the style was still like vB2 until they got the bugs all worked out in the base code. So between vB3beta7 (which we were on) and the current vB3 release candidate 4 they introduced the new style for the first time. This won't change for quite awhile unless we decide to go with another custom style. Maybe in a few months I'll make several other styles available that you can play with, if there's one that EVERYONE is crazy about, then we can make that default. Otherwise, what you see now will be the default style (sans minor improvements) for years to come.

Thanks,
    rob

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Might be your screen resolution. I know we still have about 15% of our users with 800 by 600, but times have changed and everyone needs to have at least 1024 by 768. Most websites these days are designed for that.

We can look at making the font smaller after everything settles. It's easy to do from my end.

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Rob, the text on the old site would increase and decrease in size if you held control in and scrolled up or down. The new software doesnt have that feature I dont think.

That and those spaces between posts hehe :D

24. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Rob

i'm running 1280 x 854 ??

25. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    I find quite annoying not to have a link to come back to the forum section overview at the end of the page. You need to go all the way up the page.

I overall prefer the previous layout,which BTW has proven to be the best in 99 out of 100 internet forums.

Rob, I appreciate your effort though. But I think you didn't get it right this time.