fix it, sell it or part it out | Page 2 | FerrariChat

fix it, sell it or part it out

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Greg W, Aug 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1. That's exactly what Manos will do, he won't even wash it. So if he is offering $15K, I think there is some value there, my gut feeling says get the shop to get it running and enjoy it. Most likely it will hold its value if not appreciate over some time. Your $22K+ may be a good investment in the end plus you get to enjoy the car for a while.

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    What did the shop do to come up with $3700. Did they complete most of the major before they realized the issue? Your costs incurred thus far regardless are behind you. But they quoted you 5 to 6k for the major. Parts alone can be $1200....

You can certainly put a used engine for way less than 22k. Would not spend 22k on an engine rebuild if the car was free with that many miles tbh. Who knows what else it needs.

Best of luck

3. steve_400i

steve_400i Rookie

Aug 15, 2017
    Once a Mondial Cab is sorted and running well, one kind of forgets the bills and labor for a while. It is a wonderful experience! The sound of the QV with the top down is one of the finer things in life. Then then next issue comes up. Repeat.

If you love the car and there are reasons that can be interpreted as valid to keep and maintain, then just budget accordingly. There is no financial sense in owning and maintaining a Ferrari. There must, however, be an allocation of resources sufficient to support the passion.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ah I see, I get it now. is the 22K he quote you *include* the $3,700? or is it on top? (so 25,700 total?)

what does the 22K include? Is it just the engine rebuild? You'll no doubt encounter the (while I was in there) stuff too.

Best wishes!!!

5. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #30 166&456, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Suspicious indeed. I never trust shops that come with such bad diagnoses.
    First how long did it sit do you know?
    Then, pistons don't rust. Liners do, piston rings a little less so. Yet liners are pretty well protected by oil film against corrosion and bearings are a bigger risk with the diagnosis you were given. It needs to be pretty badly leaking and been standing for quite a long time for it to do serious damage that cannot be cleaned up. Even then it is probably limited to one cylinder. Still a lot of work but a $5-7k job not $20k+.
    Did the engine turnover when cranked or did you never try?
    I would see if you can find a good trustworthy mechanic and send him to the shop for a second opinion.
    Interesting gift �� for sure. :)

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Greg W

Please post a few more times in this thread so your private message will work

I have info for you

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    One thing that stuck out in the original post/description was the use of the word "water" in the oil. The car previously living in NY would not (should not) have straight water in the cooling system. It should have a coolant mix. If the shop only detected water it could be condensation from long term storage. Just a thought, but just from the info posted on this this shop IMO get a second opinion

8. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I'm still perplexed as to the $3700 cost for the shop to tell you that you need an engine rebuild. What exactly was done for $3700? A PPI-like inspection should have revealed the issues mentioned, one would think.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #34 thorn, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Bingo. They're not really doing you a favor offering $15K. For them it's a straight-up profitable flip opportunity. (We'll use the term "flip" loosely here, as a flip implies the car would be improved before resale.) If you choose to sell as-is, you can take some average pics yourself and list it for $35K just as BHCC will. The same buyers will be looking at it.

That's my first question, too.

OP said "they were going to do X, Y, Z, but then drained the oil and saw water."

Ok, so they drained the oil. I'll do that for free, takes about 5 mins. Where's the $3700 been billed?

10. Greg W

Greg W Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    First off, You guys are awesome and I love this site. I have taken your advice to heart and used it. I am looking for a crashed QV to take the motor and use any parts that need replacing getting mine back on the road. Also when the car first arrived, I replaced the battery, pulled the plugs and added a dash of oil to each cylinder and spun the motor. I put the plugs back and it would fire (with a spray of starting fluid) but it wouldn't start. I had a fuel problem, gummed up lines, filter or pump (No fuel pressure). I didn't spend much time on it knowing it was going in for a complete service. A lot of people asked if I was able to turn a wrench and I can, but basics only. I built a Ford 351 motr 20 years ago and I used to build VW motors in high school. I will say the italian motor intimidates me I am planning in getting a shop manual if I get it going ans I will work on getting to the point that I can do the 5 year belt changes.

I met a wonerful old guy named Bill, who used to have the only certified Ferrari shop in Santa Monica CA. he know the 3.0 qv better than I know my kids. He recommended doing a compression test on the cylinders, and then pressure testing the cooling system. He said it could narrow down the top end or bottom. He bet it was a head gasket since it was running fine when it was parked and that the cylinder o-rings dry out and get hard, but rarely fail.
    Next he said if the cylinder pressures don't tell you what is wrong, refill the oil and get it runing.
    If it leaks coolant into the oil he said when you drain it if it smell like combustion vapors are detected its the top end, pop off the heads and replace the gaskets. If it's the o-rings then it gets expensive.

Nice old guy, He said "I can tell you are already a Ferrari Guy, they love their cars". he said the sound of the qv is pure Ferrari, it's not a powerhouse, but it's pure! I tried to direct message but couldn't get it to go. I will post my e-mail if anyone wants to contact me directly. If anyone hears of a donor let me know.

Thanks for all the advice.

[email protected]
    (760) 685-0576

paulchua likes this.
  11. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I looked for one that needed work. Best way to learn about your car. I've been a mechanic now for over 25 years and my mondial has been my most rewarding project to date. The guy I bought it from had offers from dismantlers, but chose to sell it to me because I was going to save it. Mine suffered a lot of "neglected maintenance". It now live the sweet life it always deserved.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :) Nice to hear.

paulchua likes this.
  13. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Greg, I have a rebuilt quattrovalvolve Mondial engine I can sell. I'm local. Let me know if you are interested in it. [email protected]

paulchua likes this.
  14. Greg W

Greg W Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    Update, I have had great support and input from this community, and it's a group I have chosen to join. I am going to look at the motor from beng, swap motors and get the 85 on the road. Another f-chatter has agreed to help me rebuild the original motor. I'ii decide later whether to swap, keep or sell the extra motor.

MalcQV and paulchua like this.
  15. Greg W

Greg W Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    latest update. Great input and support from fchatters. beng offerd his extra qv motor for sale but recommended his mechanic look at my motor first to get a solid quote. he called his mechanic and sent me his mechanics info. I called him last week and he put me on the list. I will post an update when I have one. Now I need to start looking for new set of tires and wheels to replace the old metrics. Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  16. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Certainly is a nice 20 footer. I wish you luck. You will enjoy the car in the end. I put 360 modulars on mine. I think they look pretty cool Image Unavailable, Please Login

Greg W likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    car looks great! hope everything works out for the best for you!

18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    348 wheels are usually cheap, take modern rubber, and actually look pretty good on Mondials

19. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Car probably has a seized fuel pump. Pull the air filter housing off, turn the key to the run position, then press down on the air vane. You should feel some good pressure there, and hear the fuel pump start buzzing when you press down.

Early Mondials are easy to work on yourself. The Cab has an access panel for the motor from the interior behind the rear seats. How cool is that ?

20. mx5mike

mx5mike Rookie

Oct 4, 2009
    Couldn't the moisture in the crank case be from sitting? I have bought a few cars that sat for a few years that had milky oil in them, and after a full service; a couple oil changes and some miles they were fine.

21. Greg W

Greg W Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    Well It's official. I tapped out and sold the car as is. I have waited for the shop in Hillcrest to have it's access road finished and they still couldn't get the car in. I started to realize that just finding the right shop was going to be a challenge. Time to look for another project, this time one that's running. I have about 6k in parts to get rid so I will post that on the other thread.
    Greg